Zevo ZFS Gold postponed from "Spring" to "Summer"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vroem, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Vroem macrumors member

I just found out that Ten's Compliment postponed their Zevo Gold and Platinum editions from "Spring" to "Summer" :(.

Zevo is a replacement for HFS+, OS X's current filesystem, considered to be quite outdated. About Zevo and Ten's Complement (from Wikipedia):
    In January 2012, the company Ten's Complement LLC released a ZFS implementation for Mac OS X called "Zevo" which includes both GUI and command-line features. As of January 2012, Zevo implements zpool version 28, the same as FreeBSD 9.0. The first "Silver" release of Zevo does not include compression, snapshots, or RAIDZ, although it does enable checksumming. Future releases of Zevo, slated for release later in 2012, will offer additional features. The company was founded by Don Brady, a former Apple engineer who was technical lead on the original HFS+ team and worked on Apple's abandoned internal project to port ZFS.

2. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I wonder why Apple doesn't buy them, or else make their own next generation file system.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Ten's Complement was formed by ex Apple engineers that worked on the ZFS project before it was killed.

You can bet that once ZFS was killed Apple began to draw out plans for the nextgen filesystem.

I'd presume that we'll see a HFS+ replacement within 2 major OS X revisions.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Because Apple doesn't consider HFS+ to be outdated. It is their main filesystem, powering tens of millions of Macs and hundreds of millions of iOS devices. And it has been tested accordingly, so you can assume that any bug that you could run into would already have been found and fixed. For Apple, ZFS doesn't buy anything than expense and pain.

5. Vroem thread starter macrumors member

And now the Silver edition is not for sale any more, they also removed all the availability dates. Maybe they are being bought back by Apple. Just hoping...

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I wish. I just don't think Apple is as interested in ZFS as they once were

7. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Also hope Apple didn't send Zevo a C&D letter. Maybe they went 'Samsung' on the poor guy, or dug up an old non-compete agreement with him.

8. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

Does anyone know anything about the status of ZEVO?! They've been quiet for a long time now (no twitter, facebook, website updates) and you can't even buy Sliver on their page anymore (I wish I'd at least nabbed that while I had the chance).

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I'm just guessing that it could be due to some of the legal issues with ZFS. There are patents that an implementation would be violating; and thus, may be what's preventing them from moving forward. It is why Apple dropped ZFS support in the first place. I know that the primary lawsuit NetApps vs Oracle was settled, but that doesn't mean anyone can use it, no just those two chose to settle (each had patents involved). A third party may also get into trouble. There is a common use license but it has some restrictions that prevent it from being integrated into any GPL licensed system.

I don't know the details of all of the dispute, but overall it sounds ugly and preventing good technology from rolling out.

10. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

Wasn't that all happening well before Tens compliment started development? I would think that no one would risk the capital if there was still a chance of getting sued. But then there is--errr, was--Pystar... :rolleyes:

11. Cowtown macrumors newbie

Apparently Ten's Complement is shutting down and has sold ZEVO to a company called GreenBytes that sells server hardware.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ten's compliment site mentions thta greenbytes now owns Zevo, but doesn't say much else. GreenBytes is also devoid.

After reviewing greenbytes site, I think they're more interested in using zfs for their products and not license the file system.