Zinio iPad App (Updated)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by srl7741, May 11, 2010.

1. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I officially take back any bad things I've posted before about the Zinio iPad App.

Today they released an update and the App actually works great now. Nice job goes to the Zinio App Developers.

Magazines are looking/working much better for me. I had all but written the App off.

2. bunger macrumors 6502

3. bunger macrumors 6502

Interesting... after installing, it has to "upgrade" each of your already-downloaded magazines when you open them. It still renders blurry at first, but transitions to clearly readable text waaay faster... probably in just under second. I like it...

4. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

Awesome! I might actually buy a mag subscription or single issue now.

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Just subscribed to Nat. Geo. Interactive. It looks nice but it takes 2-3 seconds to load each page so it isn't fuzzy.

6. Skystar macrumors 6502

Did you update to the latest version? Mine takes less than a second if the magazine is preloaded.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Mine actually had to re-get the Nat Geo magazine after I upgraded... it's a ton better now. I might actually subscribe to some stuff now!

8. Skystar macrumors 6502

I wish there was a setting to disable the startup animation..

9. bunger macrumors 6502

I agree... Annoying

10. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Nice! Good to hear.
    I'm waiting for the international launch... just a quick question: Since I am in Canada is there a price difference in the magazine subscriptions? Or would I be paying US prices. How does it work? Is it CC?
    Thanks!

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yeah, LOL. I thought I did. The App Store is up to its old tricks of downloading updates that aren't the update. Did it again and now I have 1.4. Seems better now.

I agree completely. That and let me turnoff the damn icon badge. I don't need to see that I haven't read 2 demos they are trying to push on me.

12. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

13. srl7741 thread starter macrumors 68020

srl7741

I sure hope this one along with a few other features come in the next update.
    The badges are annoying and should be something we can toggle on/off in settings.

Over all tho I do like the performance update.

14. Ipadfiend macrumors newbie

I have a couple of subscriptions i got on the cinco de mayo 5.00 day and a couple of free previews. I refuse to pay full newsstand price for digital copies of the magazine. I think they are nuts for thinking that that is acceptable..

Really like the app though :)

15. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Business Week...

For those interested in purchasing Bloomberg Business Week - here's a tip:

If you purchase directly from in the App or from Zinio's website, the full year subscription price is $46.

HOWEVER - if you go to businessweek.com and purchase from there (which ultimately sends you to the Zinio site), the price for the full year subscription is only $30.

Cheers.

16. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

Definitely works great....but some of the pricing is a little odd. I downloaded Jets Confidential for $1.99. They offer a 12 issue subscription for $29.99.

Does that sound like a bargain or what? No printing or distribution costs and they are going to charge me the same as they would charge if I were to have it mailed to me?

I hope these publishers start to gameplan a little better. I halted all of my magazine subscriptions because I didn't want a bunch laying around unread. Give me a little incentive of a lower price to subscribe which costs them A LOT less to distribute and they may make some money they wouldn't have had by pricing me out. :rolleyes:

17. Smackfu macrumors newbie

I just wish the icon badge worked better. Mine only seems to update when I open the app and there are new issues and I exit without downloading them. Seems like when they send me an email saying I have a new issue, the badge should update at the same time. Or maybe they could use notifications?

And yes, the splash screen is stupid. Normally I figure it is hiding a loading activity but I don't really see Zinio doing anything like that.

18. srl7741 thread starter macrumors 68020

srl7741

I think we should continue to email Zinio support with things that still need work. Maybe we can get lucky with another update that resolves several things left out of this last update.

19. tdream macrumors 65816

It has gotten better for sure. First you had to wait 2-3 seconds staring at a blurry page and the loading icon, like your avatar.

Next update was to remove the loading icon, but it still took 2-3 looking at a blurry screen.

The current version is quite good as it can take anywhere from 0.5 to 2 seconds to render the page properly. It preloads the next page, so if you are reading slowly it will be seamless. If you are flicking through for a quick perusal it can take time to load up but you really don't notice.

To sum up a very satisfying update.

20. bindle macrumors regular

Yep, great update. The page loading time is a lot better, & zooming now has really sharp text - it 'upgrades' your current mags when you open them. Now I might actually be able to make it through a full magazine without getting a headache from the blurry focusing.

All they need to do now is allow us to hide or delete the magazines we don't want to see in our library...It's getting old seeing those 'default' Macworld and Car&Driver mags there. I only want to see my subscriptions...or is there a workaround? And hopefully they let us start the app in our library rather than the 'featured' section in the future.

But I'm stoked they're taking all the feedback and getting good updates out.

21. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Wow.

Apple should buy them and integrate their technology into iBook; or develop a similar app. This is how I imagined using my iPad.

22. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I wish they would, and then do it correctly. It's a great app, but not :apple: polished.

23. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

They use Adobe flash and PDF.:eek:

24. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

25. gorkt macrumors 6502a

gorkt

Yeah, what a pleasant surprise! The app is fantastic now.