ZOMG! I dropped my iPhone!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acronym, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Acronym macrumors 68000

I dropped of iPhone onto a cement floor and it landed on the casing.......and you know what it is perfectly fine.

For all you people out there worried about your iPhones getting trashed they are all not cheap casings and crap glass, I work as a landscaper and it seems to hold out in rainy weather and more. while it sits inside my pocket

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

My son dropped mine from 1 foot (he was sitting down) and it cracked the glass. :/

Now I always have a case on it. :eek:

3. iMouse macrumors regular

iPhone Dropped

About 6 months ago, my iPhone slipped from my hands and in trying to catch it, I managed to flip it 7 or 8 feet in the air and watched it go end over end on polished concrete 3 or 4 times. The aluminum casing had pushed away from the side a bit, but otherwise, no damage to the phone.

I was able to push the casing back to its correct position using the corner of a wooden desk. Looks like it never took that fall. :D

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

To the OP, congrats on the iPhone's survival. Though mine is in a case, I still fear it's going to eventually take a tumble in a brief moment of carelessness on my part.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I second that along with the OP's "ZOMG." Must we resort to text message abbreviations when using actual computers? IDTS!

6. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

guys I'm not trying to be a troll or a smartass I posted this so that people won't think all iPhones are pieces of trash that can't handle a simple tumble onto a cement floor down some stairs, or rainy weather or what ever, I was wearing rain gear and my sweater was still damp and wet from the rain and my iPhone still works just as fine as before.

7. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Glad your phone isn't harmed!
    Some months ago I was getting out of the car. Then next thing you know it- my phone comes slamming down on newly paved parking lot cement.
    I was so torn. The back of my phone had some nasty nicks and stuck cement on it. However, my screen didn't crack and everything is still 100% functional. And it's funny how I dropped my phone the day I didn't have the case on it. :(
    But you have a point, these things can take some abuse, although we wish it wouldn't happen. :)

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

When ever I have a close call, my heart skips a beat in the moments before I realise I still feel it between the tips of fingers, right before it slips away.

The problem we all have is that we assign an intrinsic value to it. It's beautiful, and we want to keep it that way. You don't really care if your BB gets a scratch on it.

Also, the headphone jack for the stock earphones is so bloody tight, I've had the phone slip from my fingers whilst listening to music and it would stay attached, much to the delight of my ears. But knowing that my phone is safe is worth the pain :D.

Plus the fact that the phone screen is glass, I can actually 'bash' the screen with my finger tips when I get annoyed. Like when Tap Tap Revenge lags and I lose my streak. grrrrr

9. speedracer3000 macrumors 6502

I dropped my last iphone from the desk to the carpet floor but the glass landed on the metal foot of the desk and it was a goner
    I am glad yours is fine but sh*t happens
    I wouldn't count on that kind of luck the next time your iphone takes a dive

10. EgbertAttrick macrumors regular

I'm glad for this post. I just had a nightmare that I dropped my phone on a concrete floor and it split in half and I couldn't perform everyday tasks without it (totally true).

Which made me think: If I break my iPhone 3G into 1000 pieces, how do I get a new one? Do I have to extend my contract which has 1 year and 8 months on it to 3 years and 8 months? How does that work?

11. kzoojason76 macrumors member

Lets get some actual value out of this thread.

1) Did you have a case on your iPhone, and if so, what kind?
    2) You didn't mention which iPhone you have. Is it an original, or an iPhone 3G?

12. detz macrumors 65816

They can with stand a lot...for the most part. :)

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm glad to know your iPhone is ok. From what I've seen in these forums the iPhone can be pretty tough regarding falls, but the screen can be shattered if it falls the wrong way.

14. firecrasher macrumors member

Yeah my 3G fell out of my purse and under my car when I was looking for my keys, the Agent 16 case split apart immediately and is a bit scuffed up but the phone itself is fine. Glad I got the glare protector!

15. navigates macrumors 6502a

Is your new born baby ok too.
    Jesus guys get a life. If it falls/breaks GET A NEW ONE ! Its easier to earn the money than to worry about these things.

PS: That was my rational self talking. If it were me. I'd be crying out loud here too. ! :p

16. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

As much as I'd love to carry a naked iPhone I keep reminding myself it'll cost $600+ to replace and I keep it in the case all the time. I have a Switcheasy Capsule Neo that actually looks really nice and has a adapter for the universal dock so I have no excuse until they come out with a 3g dock that charges the Apple Bluetooth Headset at least.

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Yes it may still work, but when you have issues with it take it to the apple store and watch them tell you your warranty is void because of water damage.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It wont cost $600 to replace--well $499 plus tax I suppose which might bring it close.

If the case I had didn't actually *cause* scratches and scuffs on my iphone I'd probably still be using it. Since I stopped, the iphone is soooo much nicer to own. I've dropped it a few times now from a height of about 2 feet and to this day the only scratches on my phone are from the stupid case I had.

I know that one day it might drop and not survive, but like another poster said its easier to buy a new one(not that it wouldn't be painful to fork over $500) than to obsess so much. Hopefully, *if* that accident does happen there will be a new model out by then so the fact that I'll have an upgrade might mitigate some of the pain of the loss. lol

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

"The original iPhone stress test", 2007
    http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

Not sure where you are from but it does NOT cost $600 to replace it.

20. redman042 macrumors 68020

Yeah I bet that little indicator on the bottom is red now.

I always wonder just how sensitive it is. If you bring the phone in a steamy bathroom, will it turn colors?

21. navigates macrumors 6502a

Eh.. I don't think so. I've installed my screen several times in a full steamy bathroom. Besides, I have it by the sink when I shower. So in short I don't think it changes color with steam.

One tip. If you actually have a water damaged phone that works and does not. I suggest you yank our the volume rocker switch and say it fell off. They will switch it right away. :p

22. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Everytime Iam in the mall I stop by the Apple store. Everytime I see a genius look at the iPhone, they always look at the water indicator first. Not sure yanking your rocker would help the situation. :)

23. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

not trying to be a smartarse either but i'm meeting a growing number of people who have dropped their iPhone and cracked the glass.

This one guy told me he plays in a band and he had his naked iPhone on his amp and the vibration knocked it off and it landed on the stage. cracked the glass. he sold it off to someone that buys damaged iPhones and was able to buy a brand new one. This time he put a case on it.

I met another guy at a wedding who told me he dropped his in a parking lot and cracked the glass in various spots and scratched one corner of the phone. He had to just buy a new one.

I met a girl here at work who said she had a case on her iPhone (sorry she doesn't even remember what it was) and she dropped it on concrete and it put a few tiny chips in the glass that are bearable but annoying.

my friend cracked the glass on his as well...

so i'm convinced these things will crack if you are not careful.

24. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I get the OMG, but what is ZOMG? Zombies? Zipper? Zeus? :rolleyes:

25. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    ZOO!