Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Zoom has released an app for Apple TV 4K, allowing users to hold conference calls on their television and iPhone or iPad via Apple's Continuity Camera feature. First spotted by Sigmund Judge, the "Zoom - for Home TV" app quietly showed up in the tvOS App Store over the weekend.

zoom-app-icon.jpg

When tvOS 17 was released in September, Apple introduced FaceTime on Apple TV, which takes advantage of Continuity Camera support to wirelessly connect to the user's iPhone or iPad, and leverage the device's camera and microphone to bring participants together on the TV.

Zoom uses Continuity Camera to achieve the same thing, allowing you to connect Apple TV to your iPhone, and then start and join Zoom meetings. The app supports HD video and audio, calendar integration, meeting invites via phone, email, or Zoom contacts, in-meeting chat, and the ability to be assigned to a breakout room.
Zoom users can log into their account in the Apple TV app using their Zoom credentials, or by visiting a pairing URL on their iPhone. Zoom on tvOS requires a second-generation Apple TV 4K or later to utilize Continuity Camera, as well as any iPhone or iPad model updated to iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 for camera and microphone functionality.

(Via AppleInsider.)

Article Link: Zoom App Comes to Apple TV 4K With Continuity Camera Support

Reactions: SebbsBo

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
Does anyone know if I can attend Zoom Webinars where I am not meant to be on camera directly on an AppleTV? There is one monthly meeting that I take from a Mac but watch on AppleTV via Airplay.

• Love
Reactions: srbNYC

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Does anyone know if an attachment has been made for LG OLED TV's and iPhone/continuity camera?

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I’ve used FaceTime with the continuity camera on my ATV and it works amazing. If I worked from home I could see this being a really cool feature. My first year of medical school was during the first wave of COVID and we were Zoom based for the first few months with didactics.

Reactions: dubvulture

Bhy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Does anyone know if I can attend Zoom Webinars where I am not meant to be on camera directly on an AppleTV? There is one monthly meeting that I take from a Mac but watch on AppleTV via Airplay.
So I was hoping this new app would let me just attend a zoom on ATV without an account or camera linked but it does not.

To do what you're talking about (been doing it a few years) I join on my ipad and then use ipad mirroring to the ATV. Works great.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Based on my testing, you will need to connect your iPhone to your Apple TV via continuity in order to progress past the startup screen on zoom. However, once you are inside, it appears possible to then disconnect your phone and still stay in the zoom session.

Do be careful not to click on either the unmute or video off icon, else, it will bring you to another screen prompting you to connect your iPhone camera again. This thing is seriously calling for either an Apple TV with an inbuilt webcam, or the ability to connect a separate website.

Reactions: dmfresco

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I still dont see how continuity camera differs in any way to just using the app on your iPhone and then casting the screen?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I still dont see how continuity camera differs in any way to just using the app on your iPhone and then casting the screen?
this could be used in the office if someone has an TV hooked up (and no existing Camera technology)

Another idea I just thought of is hosting a holiday gathering and not everyone is there, if the person on the other end does NOT have an iPhone (they could use FaceTime if that is the case), they could use Zoom and then a family can sit around and watch on the big screen...and the continuity camera will scan and adjust as people move into focus.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
The ZOOM Apple TV app lets you turn the camera off.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
This is very welcome. Frequently screen share to appletv and have extensively used facetime on appletv since the feature rolled out.

Whatsapp for appletv is even more starkly missing now!

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
Apple really dropped the ball with video calls. "Facetiming" was becoming a synonym for video calls the way "Skyping" used to be. Now people are "zooming" or having a "zoom meeting/interview" etc. They tried to fix it by adding Android/Windows support for Facetime but it was too late when everybody switched to Zoom during the pandemic.

It's obvious people will use a cross-platform system/software so that many people can connect together. Blackberry decided to keep their popular messaging system BBM closed for too long that when they finally opened it to iOS, Android, etc it was too late. They same will happen with iMessage if Apple keeps it locked to Apple devices. WhatsApp is already king in many countries and can soon become the standard in the US. Good idea for Apple to support RCS but I think Apple has to eventually bring iMessages to other platforms as a service the way you can access AppleTV+ and Apple Music on many other different devices.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
What about users who just want to put a webcam on top of the Apple TV? perhaps one with an privacy blocker. just want to use a usb-c input and not need to use a device. though the new option is great

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
but the main ipad app doesn't allow external cameras yet right? they need to add that so external cameras can be supported on iPad's

Reactions: antipodean

atsang

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
What about users who just want to put a webcam on top of the Apple TV? perhaps one with an privacy blocker. just want to use a usb-c input and not need to use a device. though the new option is great
Could you use an old iPhone? I imagine the cameras on those older ones are still great for webcam purposes.

Reactions: centauratlas

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.