Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
It works, sometimes but froze several times when I tried it with a meeting this morning. Once it is working well, it will be useful.

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
Based on my testing, you will need to connect your iPhone to your Apple TV via continuity in order to progress past the startup screen on zoom. However, once you are inside, it appears possible to then disconnect your phone and still stay in the zoom session.

Do be careful not to click on either the unmute or video off icon, else, it will bring you to another screen prompting you to connect your iPhone camera again. This thing is seriously calling for either an Apple TV with an inbuilt webcam, or the ability to connect a separate website.
Turns out neither of my AppleTVs are gen2. So, we are SOL for the time being. It still works for me to join a webinar with AirPlay.

Reactions: Abazigal

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
Finally got around to trying to set this up, and the setup experience was awful. First of all, I had to authorize the (free) purchase. The TV would display several choices, the top one being to use another Apple device. So I'd click it, then it would try to use my Watch and fail without any opportunity to know why (the Watch wanted my Apple ID password).

Turns out the Apple TV was sending a notification to my phone BEFORE clicking on the option to use another Apple device. I was not even looking at my phone at that point, because it shouldn't have been doing anything until I clicked on that option. By NOT clicking on that option and then tapping the notification on my phone, I was able to authorize the download on my phone. And typical Apple in the presence of multiple devices just fails on the one it (generally wrongly) chooses to use.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.