Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
I bought a Homepod today on the assumption that I could connect to my mother's iPhone XR for our Yoga sessions via Zoom.
I thought Homepod would act as an external speaker like it's done with other normal speakers.

I setup the Homepod via Home section on the iPhone and it got setup after a few minutes.

When I say Siri, play some music, it picks a random song from the Apple library and plays. But how do I get it to play a YouTube song playing on the iPhone ? The sound was coming from the iPhone and not the Homepod.

1. So how do I connect the iPhone's audio to the Homepod ?
2. Can I get zoom's audio from the Homepod ?

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I bought a Homepod today on the assumption that I could connect to my mother's iPhone XR for our Yoga sessions via Zoom.
I thought Homepod would act as an external speaker like it's done with other normal speakers.

I setup the Homepod via Home section on the iPhone and it got setup after a few minutes.

When I say Siri, play some music, it picks a random song from the Apple library and plays. But how do I get it to play a YouTube song playing on the iPhone ? The sound was coming from the iPhone and not the Homepod.

1. So how do I connect the iPhone's audio to the Homepod ?
2. Can I get zoom's audio from the Homepod ?
You should be able to select the HomePod as the output device in control center.
IMG_0795.jpg

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
iPhone can send audio to Homepod via Airplay2. Can't answer the question about Zoom, but if you both have iOS devices, perhaps Facetime would be a better option there...

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Oh thanks - that's a really small icon. I'm now able to listen to other sources from the iPhone on my Homepod. I am yet to try zoom but I assume it'll work.

pdfowler

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
San Francisco
Zoom blocks audio from being sent over Airplay. Unless they decide to address this, your best bet may be using the “dial in” phone number linked to the meeting, and then transferring your phone audio to the HomePod.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Zoom does work with Homepod (Airplay). But after sometime, sometimes, the Homepod gets disconnected. I am not sure if it's the WiFi or the AirPlay.

rickatk

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2017
Home pod minis work fine with Apple Music, YouTub but no joy with Zoom. There is a two second delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.