Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LTMK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
NY, NY
Got the ZUM case earlier this week. Just like most of you, never heard about this brand before. So I was little bit skeptical. After reading other people’s recommendation and finished some research, why not give it a try? Worse case, just return it : )

The case was professionally packed when i arrived and it was looking good. After I have installed the case and show to my daughter, her eyes were wide open with a big smile!! (Priceless) I know Honey suckle pink is her favourite color. I would said it is one of the best case I have ever used.

My review points will focus on the following areas: function, design, build quality, packaging and overall value.

1. Functions: **** (4 star)

Basic Protection
I had tried the incipio smart feather, also recommended by other people. I dont like it. The incipio smart feather left the top and bottom of the ipad 2 unprotect and exposed for potential scratch. The zum sc ultimate case covers almost the entire iPad2 back.

Successfully Address Smart cover design flaw
Most importantly, the smart cover lock design provides a physical lock to the smart cover magnetic hinge to prevent accidental detachment. It REALLY WORKS!!! I tried to shake it on top of my sofa several times, the iPad 2 and smart cover still intact together.

Smart Cover + ZUM SC Ultimate = SLIM Folio case

This is the best feature I like. Now I can comfortably to put my ipad 2 into my purse to carry around WITHOUT ADDITIONAL WEIGHT. The combination of smart cover and zum case provides a complete protection to my ipad 2 and maintains the original iPad2 slim design. I don’t need to spend extra $50 to get a bulky folio case.

I am not expecting this case to provide any drop protection. ( I have remind my daughter about this and its her responsibility to protect her birthday gift).

Hope they can work on something that is so slim and still provide some drop protection. Therefore, I give it a 4 star!!

2. Design: **** (4 star)
The case is well designed with easy access to all the buttons. All the cut outs are in perfect shape. There is even a very detail speaker mesh to protect the speaker area. I was worrying about the sound distortion when I first got the case, but I found out I just worry too much. It works great.

One thing doesn’t bother me but may bother someone with big fingers. The mute button opening may be too small. I wish they had just made a big opening instead of two small openings.

Overall, I still believe its a good design.

3. Build Quality ***** (5 star)

The case is extremely thin and slim but amazingly tough. It does not crack even I tried to fold it like a paper. According to the packaging, the thickness is only 1mm.

The rubberized coating provides excellent grip and good protection to the case. I have used it for the last three days with my daughter and the case does not show and sign of scratch.

I have tried the incipio case before, and to be honest I think ZUM case quality is better than incipio.

The SMART COVER LOCK completely wraps around the magnetic hinge and the smart cover still works smoothly in different locations.

4. Packaging *** (3 star)
The case make up of high quality material but to me its only a packaging. It is nothing fancy. Wish they had used some environmental friendly material for the packaging. This packaging does not have any reuse value. Also, it does not include any screen protector with the case. Still thinking should I get a screen protector or not.

5. Overall value **** (4 star)
Original price is 29.99 but I paid only $19.99 + shipping from amazon. I believe the price is very fair for this quality case.

This case is well designed to fix the existing “design flaw” of the smart cover and provides enough protection for daily use. Its perfect for someone who already owns a smart cover and does not want to spend extra $50 or more to get a bulky folio case.

Good luck!!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 660
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 619
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 576
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 471
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 589

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011

This case is well designed to fix the existing “design flaw” of the smart cover and provides enough protection for daily use. Its perfect for someone who already owns a smart cover and does not want to spend extra $50 or more to get a bulky folio case.

Good luck!!

Great review. Thanks very much. For those who want to keep the SmartCover on their iPad almost all the time, it sounds like a very good choice. (The only other case I know with a similar design is from Macalley.)

The only downside I see (and it's very much a matter of personal preference) is that removing the SmartCover means removing the case, as well. In your situation, with a young daughter being the primary user, I can see why you'd not care about that limitation.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Thank you for the review. Although this alleviates a lot of my concerns about the Smart Cover, one remains. I have read various reports of the Smart Cover causing a wear mark or scuffs on iPads where the magnets connect it to the body of the tablet. I'm not sure exactly why this is occurring but does this do anything to eliminate that problem?

Thank you.

LTMK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
NY, NY
Thank you for the review. Although this alleviates a lot of my concerns about the Smart Cover, one remains. I have read various reports of the Smart Cover causing a wear mark or scuffs on iPads where the magnets connect it to the body of the tablet. I'm not sure exactly why this is occurring but does this do anything to eliminate that problem?

Thank you.

I understand your concern. Since it's a metal to metal contact, I believe this problem cannot be avoided if we choose to use smart cover. I have just used it for a few days, so far I don't have that problem.

Also, I am happy to see that my daughter really cares about her beloved iPad 2. I hope my training works! ;)

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008

Thank you.

I have had a smart cover since day 1, and no scuff marks on mine at all. I DO have some dark grey "metal dust" from where the hinge is rubbing together and wearing a bit, but that isnt with the iPad itself. Taht stuff just wipes right off.

NewMac01

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Exellen review! I got the case today and its a really good quality case. Works great!!!

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
It looks to be a great back case. Add some rigidity for small drop or bump protection and you have 5 stars there. :)

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I have the macally one that I ordered after reading the review on ilounge. It holds the smart cover on too. I like it.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I got one of these as well. It fits great and keeps the iPad thin. I never have to worry about the smart cover coming off as well. I'm very happy overall.

polarb

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
where can I buy this in Canada? Amazon.com doesn't ship here and its not on Amazon.ca :(

skoo9382

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
i 2nd this review on this case. I purchased this case and i am totally happy with the product. Definitely a must buy for those who have a smart cover.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I'm thinking about getting this case. Just now rubbery is it? I don't like cases that are too "grippy" if you can understand that. Does dust, small hairs, lint cling to it? Thanks.

preppy

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
ColoRADo
I'm thinking about getting this case. Just now rubbery is it? I don't like cases that are too "grippy" if you can understand that. Does dust, small hairs, lint cling to it? Thanks.

It's grippy enough...(very similar to satin finish on a macbook pro speck hardshell case)...where you shouldn't lose grip of it while holding it with sweaty/damp hands but not so grippy to the point where it begins to stick to surfaces and not let go...

I have the frost/clear and have not noticed any build up/accumulation of dust, small hairs or lint (we have brown/white dogs and my wife and I have dark hair). It's pretty good at not having a "static cling" effect like some other plastic covers are notorious for. Also, being that the case is whitish-clear, I am surprised that dirty fingerprints have not shown up yet after a few weeks of use...

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
It's grippy enough...(very similar to satin finish on a macbook pro speck hardshell case)...where you shouldn't lose grip of it while holding it with sweaty/damp hands but not so grippy to the point where it begins to stick to surfaces and not let go...

I have the frost/clear and have not noticed any build up/accumulation of dust, small hairs or lint (we have brown/white dogs and my wife and I have dark hair). It's pretty good at not having a "static cling" effect like some other plastic covers are notorious for. Also, being that the case is whitish-clear, I am surprised that dirty fingerprints have not shown up yet after a few weeks of use...
That's good to hear. Glad you understood what I tried to ask. Thanks for the reply.

Of course, now that I've decided to get it, the white version is out of stock in Amazon. :( I don't like the other colors.

preppy

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
ColoRADo
That's good to hear. Glad you understood what I tried to ask. Thanks for the reply.

Of course, now that I've decided to get it, the white version is out of stock in Amazon. :( I don't like the other colors.

I'm glad I could help :)

Bummer the white one is OOS....for what it's worth, I'd wait until it's back in stock...it's worth it for the frost/white...

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
got mine today - nice quality - will use it on the road..one thing, the specs are tight, does not like my skin on the back.....have multiple skins so I tore mine off and it's fits perfect now...

Dave421

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
I picked up the smoke color last week after reading this thread and I've been very happy with it. For me, it only needs 2 things to be perfect. I wish that it was slightly darker tint and I hate the enormous raised ZUM logo on the back (seriously, it should NOT be 3x the size of "iPad" & 1/2-2/3 size of the Apple). Other than those two issues (honestly, primarily just the logo), it's perfect. Lots of thanks to the OP for posting about it and bringing it to my attention.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
got mine today - nice quality - will use it on the road..one thing, the specs are tight, does not like my skin on the back.....have multiple skins so I tore mine off and it's fits perfect now...

Can't believe you tore off your skin. You must look like a burn victim now.

DrSMC

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Thanks for your detail review and i received my zum case yesterday. It works great and my wife just loved it. She can easily store the iPad in her purse without worry. Its so slim and light.

Thanks!!

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I am just getting back from a business road trip of 4 hotels and 5 flights in 5 days with the zum. Very nice. I have found the smartcover folding back in half gets it out of the way and a few times the ability of the zum to hold the cover on when jamming it in and out of my timbuk2 mess bag worked well.

newipad2

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Since iPad2 is the last apple device that was introduced by Steve personally, I got two today. One black and one white. Of course I got the smart covers also. We have a apple guru in our office, so I asked for his advice. My colleague showed his zum case to me, and I really like it. I believe its a genius design. It is so slim and so light. The case covers all the iapd2 back. I have order from amazon with expedite shipping. Hope I can get it soon ... RIP steve!! We always miss you!!

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
I try to get this case for my honey... but the picture is not clear... does anyone know the sum case covers the speaker area??

thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.