Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Football1maniac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Haven't you noticed? Brown is the new black in the PC world.

The Zune is actually pretty decent, when pitted against the 2nd gen iPod ;)

I don't even think the 2nd can be put up against it...

I just can't wait for these updates (software updates that is) to add some nifty features into the iPod touch + iPhone.

Even without the updates, the word "Zune" cannot be said without a snicker or two.:cool::apple:

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Yea these other companies are really trying hard with the naming of their devices.

Microsoft Zune....Samsung Juke...

Atleast the Dell DJ sounded pretty decent. One thing I have to give Microsoft props for though is giving the updated software to ALL of the devices, not just the current model.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

well, lets see
iPod 2nd gen
ipod-2gen.jpg

iPod 3 gen
3rd%20gen%20front.JPG

iPod 4 gen
ipod_4.jpg

ipod 5 gen
ipod_5g_grp_300.jpg

ipod 6 gen
ipod-classic-070905-2.png

zune1
zune.jpg

zune2
zune80.jpg

yes, you are right, its MUCH better than 2 gen iPod, IHMO, its much better than iPod 3 gen, 4gen, 5 gen, 6 gen as well.

frogcat

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Rant

So I just wanted to say some stuff about the Zune getting so much publicity. Its #1 on Cnet, and its allover myspace apparently. I could care less, except the fact that I really think everyone should get the Touch as opposed to the Classic and the Zune. Zune even beats Touch in wishlists. WHY? WTF. Zune is cool, like last year when iPod was cool. The touch is like the consumer high-tech gadget of the coming year. Its "apparently" not better than the Archos, but at least its friendlier, in that I dont have to buy extra features...just get 3rd party apps. I also believe the touch does not look outdated like the Archos...or the Zune, iPod.

By the way, I may be biased about prices because I bought my 16gig touch for $225. It was from a guy that was liquidating his local store in Austin. I ended buying an 8 gig for $225 too, from craigslist. Go figure...just do some searching and reviewing the vendor in craigslist and you'll get some good deals.

Now...why buy a Zune? There are so many other things out there that can do much better than this, and we wouldnt have to support Microsoft. Hell I would rather buy a Creative than iPod Classic. I hate Microsoft, and not because I'm an Apple fanboy, but because their products are the shoddiest pieces of crap I have ever handled. Now because MS has a new player out with some features that trump last year's iPod, I'm supposed to be sold that MS has changed and redesigned its business structure. Maybe their OS will get better too...maybe they'll issue updates, like the Zune, that actually work. We all "no" the answer to this. Now back to Zune....

Wifi syncing...who cares when you have to charge it on a dock, next to your computer. The only people who would like this are people who setup real surround sound speakers to their PMP's and don't take it off the dock. Still, these type of people know there are better things out there. Maybe get a stereo that syncs to your laptop wirelessly perhaps?

Radio? alrite maybe that is pretty cool, but I swear to you, that does not trump the touch's capabilities, and does not mean you HAVE to want Zune on your wishlist. Every other PMP has this function, and i dont know why its kicked in the touch or iPod.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY is the Zune getting so much publicity. It sucks this year, would be cool last year, and would have seen better sales than iPod.

There is a plus side to all this Zune Love. I don't know if you Apple supporters realize it. But we get to keep being the cool underdog team again, with Jobs actually trying to innovate.

I like knowing I have the only Touch in a room full of Zunes and iPod classics. Classics were never my forte by the way. I had a Zen.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
So I just wanted to say some stuff about the Zune getting so much publicity. Its #1 on Cnet, and its allover myspace apparently. I could care less, except the fact that I really think everyone should get the Touch as opposed to the Classic and the Zune. Zune even beats Touch in wishlists. WHY? WTF. Zune is cool, like last year when iPod was cool. The touch is like the consumer high-tech gadget of the coming year. Its "apparently" not better than the Archos, but at least its friendlier, in that I dont have to buy extra features...just get 3rd party apps. I also believe the touch does not look outdated like the Archos...or the Zune, iPod.

By the way, I may be biased about prices because I bought my 16gig touch for $225. It was from a guy that was liquidating his local store in Austin. I ended buying an 8 gig for $225 too, from craigslist. Go figure...just do some searching and reviewing the vendor in craigslist and you'll get some good deals.

Now...why buy a Zune? There are so many other things out there that can do much better than this, and we wouldnt have to support Microsoft. Hell I would rather buy a Creative than iPod Classic. I hate Microsoft, and not because I'm an Apple fanboy, but because their products are the shoddiest pieces of crap I have ever handled. Now because MS has a new player out with some features that trump last year's iPod, I'm supposed to be sold that MS has changed and redesigned its business structure. Maybe their OS will get better too...maybe they'll issue updates, like the Zune, that actually work. We all "no" the answer to this. Now back to Zune....

Wifi syncing...who cares when you have to charge it on a dock, next to your computer. The only people who would like this are people who setup real surround sound speakers to their PMP's and don't take it off the dock. Still, these type of people know there are better things out there. Maybe get a stereo that syncs to your laptop wirelessly perhaps?

Radio? alrite maybe that is pretty cool, but I swear to you, that does not trump the touch's capabilities, and does not mean you HAVE to want Zune on your wishlist. Every other PMP has this function, and i dont know why its kicked in the touch or iPod.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY is the Zune getting so much publicity. It sucks this year, would be cool last year, and would have seen better sales than iPod.

There is a plus side to all this Zune Love. I don't know if you Apple supporters realize it. But we get to keep being the cool underdog team again, with Jobs actually trying to innovate.

I like knowing I have the only Touch in a room full of Zunes and iPod classics. Classics were never my forte by the way. I had a Zen.

the problem with your argument is that you ignore the diversity of the market.
there are millions, maybe billions of ppl in this world listen to radio
there are billions of people who just aren't rich enough to kiss apple's a$$ all the time (16G for $399?, 8G for $299??)
there are plenty of people think the very existence of wi-fi card give zune more potential. remember M$ updated zune 1 to have all zune 2's feature?
there are also plenty of people who are tired of apple's monopoly in this market. which resulted in no progression of iPod product line until the introduction of zune series
there are also plenty of people think iPT is not a simple PMP, and they consider iPT a inferior PDA
there are plenty of people who feel apple's iTunes for windows are sluggish and resource hog.
there are always people who want to be different, and iPod is mainstream now, nothing special.

don't judge people based on your own thinking.

frogcat

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
the problem with your argument is that you ignore the diversity of the market.
there are millions, maybe billions of ppl in this world listen to radio
there are billions of people who just aren't rich enough to kiss apple's a$$ all the time (16G for $399?, 8G for $299??)
there are plenty of people think the very existence of wi-fi card give zune more potential. remember M$ updated zune 1 to have all zune 2's feature?
there are also plenty of people who are tired of apple's monopoly in this market. which resulted in no progression of iPod product line until the introduction of zune series
there are also plenty of people think iPT is not a simple PMP, and they consider iPT a inferior PDA
there are plenty of people who feel apple's iTunes for windows are sluggish and resource hog.
there are always people who want to be different, and iPod is mainstream now, nothing special.

don't judge people based on your own thinking.

Well I was not judging, but was mainly ranting about the complete discarding of the Touch from consumer existence. Why? Because of the battle between Classic and Zune.

And the problem with your response is that you completely missed the point of my rant. I already said that I would rather buy Creative products than MS and APPLE, therefore knowing the diversity of products and the market. I read reviews and research what products are best for my need...therefore I know there are BETTER products out there. Number 2, I HAVE to know the market because I do not have money to "kiss apple's a$$." Look how much I bought my Touch for, and you'll see where I'm getting at.

And what I am more arguing towards is consumer knowledge to be enlightened to a diverse market, therefore don't have to succumb to buying overpriced outdated products. I knew the Touch's abilities so I wanted it, and I knew its price was not viable for its functionality and storage. BUT with research I got it at the correct, maybe much better price. That's where I am biased, because ultimately I am happiest with my Touch, knowing I got the real deal.

In the end, I also target not to support Zune because of MS's vapid history of products. I feel like if Zune overpowers the marketshare, then there will be no innovation in that part, and less money for the real leaders to ACTUALLY innovate. Buy a Creative or iRiver please. I too am one of those people tired of Apple's monopoly. But still, I see the credibility of the Touch. Its also marketed as an iPod, thus it is a PMP, and not a PDA. If I wanted a PDA...well I don't.

Sorry if I accidently flamed your profile by my rant. I know there are people out there who want cheaper things, with promising features. I just don't think Zune is that promising.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Well I was not judging, but was mainly ranting about the complete discarding of the Touch from consumer existence. Why? Because of the battle between Classic and Zune.
well, first let me say its ok to list you opinion, no offense taken. :D

second this is an interesting point I heard from many people.

here is what I think about why iPT is out of picture in the debate between zune and iPod

1. I think most people, indeed regard iPT NOT as an traditional iPod, and most people used it, NOT for the PMP functions.

why?, simple, it has limited capacity, has a top-notch mobile browser. IS more like a pda than a PMP.

This is not what apple wants people to believe, but practically, everybody outside apple loyal fans knows it.

2. price, at $299, it offers 8G, if its only an iPod, there is nobody gonna buy it.

3. eventually, it comes down to one simple fact, people only compare products when they pay similar price, and expect similar functions. there is no question iPT is not in head-2-head competition with Zune. You can say its more likely to find competitors in PDA market.

You just can NOT use the ENTIRE apple products line to compare to M$'s ENTIRE products line, for end-users, its just useless. they buy a single product, they don't buy every iPods and carry a bag full of gadgets all the time.

frogcat

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
I guess that's really a good point, and I see what your saying about comparing to MS. But its hard not to compare, seeing Microsoft's recent developments/disappointments beside its competitors' recent successes. I remember using Win 3.2 and thinking that was some amazing stuff. But that was when there was only MS for me.

Anyways, I see the Touch as an iPod hybrid, and just an iPod. There is no reason for me to carry a PDA because Touch covers the little functions I use as a PDA. I would not buy a PDA because its just not as stunning, or its just not targeted at consumers like me.

Yeah, I think I just answered my question. Apple is targeting a new market of trendy light PDA users, where there are only a limited amount. (who buys a PDA and doesn't use its full abilities?) They might be trying to convert iPodders to this too. Possibly getting a jump start to the future of handheld computers for sure. They want to get that brand loyalty right away, huh.

HAHAHA and it might just be me but some of the people on this board actually do sound like they carry a bag full of gadgets.

CVV1

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007

Most reviews I have read have said the zune is a good alternative
The best thing about it is probably the menu, which is really sweet form what I have seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.