Zune iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grooveattack, Dec 12, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

2. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Apple loves it. And they should, the iPhone is a masterpiece.

3. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Got an iPhone, and love it. However much i hate microsofts products (except for XP) this phone will probably not be some crappy phone from LG, samsung or anyone other company trying to do what Apple has done.

MS will most probably do a good job on the phone in terms of phone capabilites, but it will not be anywhere near as easy to use, fun to use or nice to use as the iPhone. And them not making the Zune multi OS - what a joke. none of my friends, relatives or anyone that they know has a Zune. But about 50% have iPods or even creatives. MS sucks at everything except making a half decent console and taking money from people...

4. jlwillia macrumors regular

I think it's great because it forces Apple to stay on their toes. The best thing would be for one of these phones to ACTUALLY compete with the iPhone in number of sales. Apple would have to add features that nearly everyone complains about and would create a better iPhone. Right now Apple enjoys a competitive advantage so they don't have much motivation to add the features we all complain about.

We can only hope. I'm not holding my breath that Microsoft will create the phone that actually competes with the iPhone though....

5. Tufelhunden macrumors member

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I really hope this does come out. Competition is good. One of the main reasons windows mobile sucks so much is because microsoft doesn't control the hardware but with this it will be properly speced. If you look at the current zune, microsoft is more then capable of making a device that competes with the ipod.

7. archipellago macrumors 65816

this is great news...

the zune is a much better made, more feature filled device than any iPod so hopefully a zune phone will be the same in comparison to the iPhone.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I wonder it will beat the zunes 2 million worldwide sales :rolleyes:

Whenever Microsoft enters a market in which it has no dominance, it always fails miserably.

9. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Shame it has MAJOR 95%+ dominance in the biggest technological market of all eh? :rolleyes:

10. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

because Microsoft entered the software market with dominance and the console market with dominance. Microsoft didn't start with the current market share.

11. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's actually below 90% now. Just saying.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

We really don't know that yet. Let's give it an honest chance. The iPhone needs some strong competition. Everything else has been crap. I really don't think the Instinct caused Apple to modify it's business practices or SDK.

14. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

and falling every quarter

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The biggest technological market being mobile phones in which Apple has already out surpassed there marketshare. 300 million computers are sold a year, 6 billion mobile phones are sold a year.

Windows became popular because it had no competition, Apple was in ruins and Linux was in baby stages. Xbox is the only MS product I can think off which actually became popular because of its own merits. And even today Microsoft are eating $31 per console sold, just managing to break even last year thanks to game sales.

16. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Am I just paranoid or is anyone else concerned that Apple's substantial technological lead in both portable musical players and operating systems is gradually being whittled down? It seems the same process is starting with cell phones as well. All the iPod competitors (with the exception of the Zune) are just as common as iPods, at least among my students, Vista has roughly caught up to Leopard in terms of stability and usability, and I worry about the Windows 7/Snow Leopard comparison. For the moment, the iPhone's UI is much better than that of its competitors, but they had to rush their product to market. Imagine what will happen when they have time to refine their software. In a nutshell, I worry that Apple's history of dwindling market share is repeating itself and I can only hope they have another silver bullet waiting in the wings.

17. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Sorry, make that 89% worldwide marketshare. Muuch better.

And I can't quite see manufacturing factories around the world running Leopard :cool:

18. archipellago macrumors 65816

apple have a technological lead??

they have better marketing, PR and advertising but thats about it.

19. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone wants everything to fail. Competition is great! It lowers costs, improves products and makes things more interesting :)

20. svndmvn Guest

the iPhone is more like a gadget, while I find Win Mo a bit more professional.
    btw, I love my iPhone, I never would have considered a "smartphone" if it didn't have a good browser/iPod, Apple sells many because of the stylish form factor, simplicity etc.
    Microsoft and others, IMO, try to fill their phones and OSs with features most of the customers don't care about and therefore make the thing harder to use.
    Whether Microsoft is copying or not in any department, Apple has been quite a trend starter being one of the first to usually experiment with newer stuff, even if they didn't really invent most of em(don't really care).

archipellago I don't know where you're from but your statement has more to do with Apple's politics in the US and few other countries, and still, they open more and more Apple stores, I don't think it's because they sell less and less, and the only Macbooks/iMacs you see on TV in Italy have the apple covered as they are used for commercials of other products. No iPods ads either, and I can still see many more than cheaper ones that are complete rip offs.

21. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Will this phone have multi-touch or not? I ask because Nokia's (Nokia, right?) doesn't because of Apple's patents.

22. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Will the zune phone multi-task, receive MMS, and not be tied to WMP? I may consider one if thats the case. It has actual buttons, which is already a plus in my book.

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Great.
    I predict this to go just as well as Windows Vista did.

24. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

That sounds very likely..:D

25. estark macrumors newbie

Zune Interface, Mixview, Subscription Based Music is awesome

I have an iPhone which I really like. The apps and browsing are really compelling. I like the external speaker for podcasts, but sometimes the podcast subscriptions get messed up. The iTunes interface is maybe the most disappointing thing about the iPhone. So needless to say, I don't use it as a music device.

I use my Zune for music. First off subscription based music is great. I have listened to about ten new albums this month so far. Also, I have purchased 10 new tracks, all for a total of $15. Secondly, the device interface is very nice. It's up and down scrolling and contextual side to side interface makes it very easy to use -- much more so than the awkward iPhone/Touch iPod interface (I do like the iPod with scroll wheels, though). Also, the picks are pretty good -- it recommends music from all music available, instead of just what you already own (don't you know you like it already since you bought it?) and mixview is a great way to explore music tangents. Genius just sucked up CPU time and I had turned it off.

Don't get me wrong, iPods are good music devices and the iTunes store has a great selection. However, the Zune has the best music ecosystem and Apple should learn from MS on this.

So -- A Zune Phone -- I will have to look into that!