Zunephone actually sounds legit..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleisgod, Dec 10, 2008.

1. appleisgod macrumors regular

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

hopefully its every bit as successful as the zune has been:D

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

100,000,000 iPods to 2,000,000 Zunes translates to...
    10,000,000 iPhones to 200,000 zPhones.

Wonderfully lucrative idea. :p

Oh, and it'd be locked to Verizon. :D

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It makes no sense whatsoever for Microsoft to do this.

So yeah, since this is Microsoft, I'm sure it's all true. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for the Windows Mobile phone makers to get just as mad as the Windows-Media music player makers got about the first Zune.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

bit of a fanboy are we? I'd rather the iPhone be on Verizon since they have better coverage and fewer dropped calls. My iPhone drops calls like none other, there is nearly no AT&T service anywhere indoors where in my area. Where with Verizon I could be in the basement of my school and have two bars and be able to make calls. It's pretty funny that you think locking the zunephone to verizon is any worse than Apple locking their phone to AT&T. Of course you'll probably have many false stories about Verizon nickel and diming you.... as if AT&T doesn't...

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Eh, no. I have Verizon right now. I've had Verizon since I got my iPhone. Because I have Verizon, I can't use my iPhone. I personally hate AT&T. I was just saying that if they're going to copy the iPhone exactly, they'll want to be the polar opposite of what the iPhone is.

So they'd go with the polar opposite of telecoms. That's all.

AT&T is the Phone Borg, and I only don't like Verizon because they're idiots for letting the iPhone go.

Every telecom nickel and dimes us.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If at first you don't succeed, fail fail again.

8. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Balmer has said before they're working on Zune music/social software for Windows Mobile phones, and vehemently shot down the idea of a dedicated Zune phone this year.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Oh god i hope we never see that day with verizon's shady business practices and overly expensive bill riddled with hidden fees. AT&T works wonderfully for me and i'm glad thats where the iPhone is. I rather chew on broken glass while walking on hot coals than to have to choose an ugly brick-like verizon phone with that horrid standard red software. Their selection is absolutely grotesque and so old fashioned, compared to GSM phones. walking in to a verizon store i feel like i walked in to a time machine and went back 7 years in technology looks-wise.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What did that have to do with anything in the thread....?

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

it was a response to your post, which had slight reference to the thread so therefore it was relevant. I understand if youre upset though sorry to offend your carrier of choice.

12. Tufelhunden macrumors member

I hope this comes out and uses the Zune pass. I prefer the Zune and the Zune Pass subscription service. Unlimited songs with the pass plus 10 DRM free songs that are mine each month. Also, the APPs will probably not be as restrictive as the Apple store.

However, more than likely it will be a XBox 360 portable with Zune capabilities.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wait you have an iphone or not? if you do youre paying for att so why are you still with verizon?

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Something about not actually owning any of my music and instead renting it turns me off that service.

Can't put my finger on it.

I do have one. I got it launch day 2007. Won it from a local radio station. I'm not paying for an iPhone plan. I just haven't had service for the year and a half that I've owned it (it's been painful, I'll tell you). It's unlocked, so I'll grab someone's SIM if they don't believe me, but I have no service with it. I'm still with Verizon because it's our family plan and I am currently in the process of convincing my family to switch to Centennial before they're purchased by AT&T so that I can get an affordable plan for my iPhone to actually use it. I'm not in the mood to pay a minimum of $60 a month for data when I will be around Wi-Fi perpetually for the rest of my life (six years in college, my own home router after that). Doesn't that make sense?

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that sucks! you can at least use the iphone without the phone right?

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

mhmm, basically a glorified touch, but w/e

17. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I hope this Zunephone does well, anything that could force the iphone to the NEXT level sounds good to me! :D

18. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Does Microsoft try to be several steps behind Apple?

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ugh... Tell me about it... :(

20. Tufelhunden macrumors member

But you do own 10 songs a month. The rest are rentals but in essence you are paying $5 a month rent. And unlike Apple the songs are DRM free. :)

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Google Requiem. So are mine.

22. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I've tried a Zune before. They're actually very nice players. There's nothing wrong with the Zune software or its hardware. It's all pretty well made. The software is very easy to use and is sometimes less bloaty than iTunes and runs a bit faster. It's just difficult to take on the large userbase that Apple has established early with iTunes.

I'm sure other companies can create comparable products and services as iTunes + iPod/iPhone. It's just difficult to convince people to switch without being truly groundbreaking, and let's face it, until there's a huge paradigm shift (ie. MP3 players, then PMPs, then phones) there's not much chance ANY company, even Apple, has of pushing the bar even further.

So it's not a matter of the Zune player or software being worse or deficient in any which way or form. It's just hard to take on the behemoth that is iTunes + iPod.

Bring on the Zunephone. That's what I say. Most people I know who own Zunes love them. And they've owned iPods before. It's just hard to take the step, is all.

23. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I think that the Zune experience (device and software included) is far superior to the iPod and iTunes world, but that's just me.

In any case, there's no 'ZunePhone,' maybe WinMo with a Zune app, but that's about it. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10120474-56.html

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

To be perfectly honest, if the phone were anything like the mockups on engadget and DIDNT run Winmo (which i cant see happening, what kind of message would it send when not even Microsoft wants to use it) i would seriously consider it.

By the time it comes out however i will finally have a macbook and my integration needs will be fully covered with an iphone, so I wouldnt buy it. If im actually going to get a phone, im keeping it for years, and i love the iphone OS and love my mods to it, so im firmly in his steveness's clutches:p

25. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

but at least att doesnt purposely lock out features to force you to pay for certain things (lack of bluetooth file transfer on Razr, even though the hardware is capable+no transferring ringtones, you have to buy them. BB Storms lack of wifi=verizon wants you using their cell network, not free wifi)