ZzZzzZ! Five more minutes please!?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jmann, Feb 23, 2010.

1. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Sleeping. I love it. I'm sure most people enjoy it.

Are you a light sleeper that would wake a drop of a pin, or a deep sleeper? I personally sleep really soundly and never wake up (you can hate me now).

I personally sleep about 7-8.245 hours a night, and it seems to be fine for me, I only wake up slightly tired. But I know a few people at work who function awesome on like 3 hours of sleep :eek:.

What are your sleeping habits like?

[​IMG]

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

School days, 5-7hrs
    Non Class days, easily over 8hrs.

I think I'm more of a light sleeper. I wake up to my phone vibrating for my alarm.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Hehe, I love the pillow in the OP. :D

I'm a very light sleeper. Also I tend to have insomnia. It's crap. :(

4. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

I can function on 6 hours, go down at 11:30/Midnight wake up at 6am weekdays, for my weekends I go down same timeframe and wake up at about 8 or 9.

5. mac88 macrumors 6502

I hardly sleep. I've tried everything. Nothing has ever worked. I might doze off for 1-2 hour (naps) but I, for the life of me and medical science, can not sleep on a regular basis. I will have one day where I might crash and that might be for around 5-6 hours. I guess my body just shuts down. Those days are few and far between.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Usually get 8+ hours of sleep school nights. Non-School nights I get around 10. Sleep rocks! :D

7. jmann thread starter macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    There is a magical plant that helps with insomnia I heard. Have you ever tried that? It sure does make most people tired. :p

8. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I usally get about 6-7 when i work. but im a light sleeper takes me a while to fall asleep than little things will wake me up I usually wake up a hr and half before i go to work "i live like 20 min for my job" give my self half an hour to wake up than shower than pretty much get to work now when I'm off I can usally sleep till 11sh am or so if i want to I love sleep:D

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

For my body to be happy, I have to sleep for 9 hours.

However, I do function fine with 8 hours of sleep if you give me time to wake up. Anything under that, and I'll have a tiredness hovering over me all day.

I'm a medium sleeper I guess. I don't wake up that easy, but it doesn't take a nuclear bomb to wake me up either.

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

My sleep schedule varies a ton. Anywhere from 5-9 hours a night. I am a light sleeper, littlest of sounds will wake me up, but I can fall back asleep within seconds.

11. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

dido for both..
    I lay in bed for hours and just cant sleep, super lame.
    i think part of it has to do with my love for time.. i dont want to sleep because i could be awake doing something

12. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I love my sleep! My girlfriend cannot stand it when I go to bed because I'm one of those people who just shuts their eyes and that's it, I'm out until the morning.

Usually try to get about 8 hours sleep, although I can function on 6-8 hours.

For people struggling with sleep, you need to try to go to sleep in rhythm with your body clock (inner timekeeping also know as circadian rhythm). If you sleep outside of the circadian rhythm then this disrupts sleep. It is the circadian rhythm that determines the ideal timing of perfect, restorative sleep. And also that allows you to wake feeling refreshed rather than tired. Usually between 10-11pm is the ideal time, but I know for most people this is not ideal.

13. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I love this theory in people. Studies have shown that those with more quality sleep live longer, are happier, less likely to be depressed or suffer cardiovascular desease, hypertension or diabetes. However, these were only 'studies' and not actual fact.

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Well, for a lot people it's not really a choice. I too wish I could sleep more but a lot of times I simply can't, it doesn't matter how tired I am my mind just doesn't shut down easily, I keep thinking of things to do, having random ideas, etc

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

4-6 hours on my work days. I work a crazy schedule.. My shifts are the following:

1230-0430 day one
    2030-0430 day two
    1230-0430 day three

40 hours in three days. But then I am off for 4 days. On those days I still only get 4-6 hours of sleep. Sometimes I push it to 7 or so hours!

16. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

yeah, i defiantly have to agree, i just get so many thoughts going and i cant sleep.

and i could see how people are happier and live longer if they have good sleep patterns but part of the time i cant sleep is because something i on my mind and im not happy so i try and figure it out before i sleep haha

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Sometimes what happens to me is that I start having brilliant ideas as I'm trying to sleep. :D Either that or I start wondering about random things (How does ink come out of pens? :p). Once I couldn't get to sleep until I figured out how to solve a math problem. :eek:

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I sleep from 22-00 till 1am 5 days a week and the other to vary but never more than five hours.

19. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I was responding in reference to this:

Not being able to sleep is another matter all together. It can be changed by a number of things. Diet, drinking, TV etc.

20. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

i used to have this when i was big into photography. i remember last night i layed in bed thinking about school and life and bs for a couple hours, and as soooooon as i was falling asleep i was like crap, forgot to do my abworkout haha.

and AdamA9 i totally agree. the whole me being infront of a computer for alot of the day and stuff doesnt help, and i just like the night time, its quiet and i get to do my own thing :).
    but im on a diet so i mean i dont drink or really eat anything suggary so theres no caffine haha

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I sleep anywhere between an hour and 7 hours. /shrug

22. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you're doing the right things, but it's advisable not to have caffein, alcohol before bed, and preferably no liquid up to 90 minutes before you sleep. To help you feel rested and relaxed to sleep, food that helps to produce serotonin is good, like whole wheat toast with sliced tomato and turkey slice, non-fat flavored yogurt, sliced apple with peanut butter.

Look for any foods like this :)

23. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

i wish i could have alcohol or caffeine haha, im on a strick p90x workout diet and im not suspose to eat up to 3 hours before bed cus it just like sits in your system lol

24. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im a student so I generally function on 6 hours a night, my body seems to cope quite well during the week. However at the weekends I sleep a lot to make up for it.

25. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I used to be able to function on almost no sleep when I was younger. Three hours was fine for me in my high school days. Now I need at least six or I'm useless the next day.

It takes me a little while to actually fall asleep but then I'm a bear.

I sometimes wake up in the early morning (as a matter of fact, it's 4:30 a.m. as I type this). If I don't fall back asleep in the first ten minutes, I'm up for hours.