Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
June 19, 2009 Apple released Voice Control in 3GS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_3GS

January 12, 2010 Android 2.1 SDK released
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#2.1
Android 2.1 has voice actions, Android 2.2 adds to more parts of the phone

Nice try?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/726016/
Apple's "voice control" let you either dial contact (which 2005-era dumphones already did) and stop/start/shuffle mp3 playback.

Here is what Android's voice actions let you do
http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/
Compose texts, compose emails, visit website, search the web, activate the GPS, write notes and yes, call contacts and listen to music.

I suppose whether you think controlling mp3's VS voice transcrption + accessing all the other features on your phones are the same thing is a matter of perspective? LOL.

-EDIT-
I forgot to add, iPhone 3GS's voice control didn't work. Ask anyone who tried to use it.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Notifications (Android)
OTA updates (Android)
iMessage (Blackberry)
Volume as camera button (WP7 and tons of others, heck my SE phone from 2005 had that...).
Voice Control (Any old phone. Appeared on my T610 or my w810 first, don't remember which).
There's a few more.

Don't believe me all you want, Apple does the same amount of "copying" that others do.

i can see notifications because they look alike but OTA is not a copy. thats not a feature that only android had. blackberry has it and i believe someone e-mailed steve a while ago and he said looking into it or something. iMessage. im kind of with you half and half but leaning towards they used the idea because apple knew that was what was keeping blackberry users over there. and the camera button. that is not a copy because users asked for it. there were so many threads about that and i know i submitted the request once or twice.

if we continue to use copy then technically everybody copied whoever first put a browser, email, media player, and all that on a phone. a copy should be something that looks similar or identical to another product or feature. not because they are the same type of idea. apples way of implementing things are different from blackberry and different from android even though they use similar features. and yes there are some features on apple products that look fairly similar to competitor products so they are not in the right. im not calling you out by the way. im just saying if we keep saying copied then everybody technically copied everyone. a copy is those stupid chinese knockoff tablets or how the first galaxy s phone looked a morphed 3gs and iPhone 4, or apples notification system to androids.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Time for Legal/Tort Reform?

I think we need to update the Patent Laws. Yes, companies have a right to protect their inventions and get reimbursed when other companies utilize them. However, it appears that every company out there is accused of stealing another company's ideas....whether by mistake or intent.

Maybe we need to shorten the patent protection period. Maybe there can be some law that fully defines the penalties for each abuse. It seems the only ones that are benefiting from all this litigation are, once again, the lawyers.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Isn't most of what Apple is suing for these days exactly that? How something looks or behaves? How many of Apple's lawsuit are because someone copied pixel for pixel?:confused:

Apple sued over a rectangular shape. A button. Icons. Etc, etc. But if you're an Appleonian, this is ok. The Appleonians fail to see that by this logic, Apple should be sued for making a phone since they didn't invent it. And a device that uses a battery, etc. etc.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Isn't most of what Apple is suing for these days exactly that? How something looks or behaves? How many of Apple's lawsuit are because someone copied pixel for pixel?:confused:

Hey man, I'm just comparing what you said to that crappy link.

They also talk about twitter integration, comparing it being built in to the OS (apple) and it being available on 3rd party apps (android).

Come on, thats desperate!

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I hope Apple sues these scum out of existence. We all know that Apple invented the modern smartphone with the iPhone, everyone else just copies + follows along.

All these followers owe Apple BILLIONS. For them to sue Apple is a joke.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I hope Apple sues these scum out of existence. We all know that Apple invented the modern smartphone with the iPhone, everyone else just copies + follows along.

All these followers owe Apple BILLIONS. For them to sue Apple is a joke.

Don't you mean that Apple should be sued too because they didn't invent the cell phone? The joke is on Apple. They owe Moto billions.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Don't you mean that Apple should be sued too because they didn't invent the cell phone? The joke is on Apple. They owe Moto billions.

Sorry smarty, the cell phone patent expired years ago.

The only INNOVATION in this industry comes from Apple. All anyone else does is make "me too" products. Can't wait to see what the iPhone 5 has... so we know what we can expect HTC, Samsung and all the other "me too" companies to roll out 1-2 years later.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

The only INNOVATION in this industry comes from Apple. All anyone else does is make "me too" products. Can't wait to see what the iPhone 5 has... so we know what we can expect HTC, Samsung and all the other "me too" companies to roll out 1-2 years later.

Innovation. That's why Apple invented a slide down notification system, Twitter integration, and OTA updates.

Oh, wait.....

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Apple sued over a rectangular shape. A button. Icons. Etc, etc. But if you're an Appleonian, this is ok. The Appleonians fail to see that by this logic, Apple should be sued for making a phone since they didn't invent it. And a device that uses a battery, etc. etc.

I agree with you 100%

And if Apple wants to instigate the madness and play these games they better realize that they are not always going to win.

Regarding this Patent BS and fighting : They say there is always someone bigger than you out on the playground, but nowadays it doesn't matter because some of the smaller kids pack a gun.

BTW....glad you took off the tinfoil hat Applescruff :)

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
You're so blinkered its almost funny. Try this for innovation - open a web browser, to to market.android.com, pick and app and click install. Couple of seconds later your android phone will start installing the app. No wires, no itunes, just nice simple integration.There's lots more stuff out there that Apple hasn't even touched yet but is available on other "smartphones".

So yes others innovate and all you need to do is take those Apple blinkers off!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
When I say "smartphone" I mean a smartphone as we know them today not one that was just called a smart phone before the iPhone came along.

The smartphones I know today are pretty much the same smartphones I knew then, minus the stylus now that capacitative touch screens are affordable.

At that time, did all these other so called smartphones that you mention have large touch screens and a beautiful operating system that's a pleasure to use, not to mention movement and proximity sensors, a mute switch that you don't need to switch the screen on to use and a built in iPod? No I didn't think so.

Uh ? My 2005 feature phone had a music player that played MP3s with all the same features as an iPod. SE made a phone I drooled over in 2003 that had a large touch screen and where's the beauty in an operating system ? SE's symbian implementation had the same grid of icons layout that iOS' Springboard uses.

My old feature phone also had mute and volume buttons for the music player.

Revisionist history.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Innovation. That's why Apple invented a slide down notification system, Twitter integration, and OTA updates.

Oh, wait.....

Seriously, you think OTA updates are innovation?!? Windows 98 had OTA updates, nothing innovative about it at all. Apple chose not to roll them out until recently because mobile bandwidth is scarce. Google rolled them out too soon and got hit by wrath of carriers.

If you want to see what innovation looks like, but a Palm Treo next to the original iPhone. The day before iPhone launched, Treo was the standard in the smart phone industry. The next day...

If you think running Twitter on your phone is innovation then you don't know the definition of the word.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I love Apple products, but it seems the company is turning out pretty Orwellian lately.

Yup, that's pretty much been happening since 2006.
Seriously, you think OTA updates are innovation?!? Windows 98 had OTA updates, nothing innovative about it at all. Apple chose not to roll them out until recently because mobile bandwidth is scarce. Google rolled them out too soon and got hit by wrath of carriers.

If you want to see what innovation looks like, but a Palm Treo next to the original iPhone. The day before iPhone launched, Treo was the standard in the smart phone industry. The next day...

If you think running Twitter on your phone is innovation then you don't know the definition of the word.

Sadly, the next day the iPhone still didn't have a plethora of features that the Treo 650 (two years older than the iPhone) didn't have.

You didn't make you're point very well with that comparison. Maybe the 3GS and the Treo, or even the Rev A Android phone and the 3GS.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
You're so blinkered its almost funny. Try this for innovation - open a web browser, to to market.android.com, pick and app and click install. Couple of seconds later your android phone will start installing the app. No wires, no itunes, just nice simple integration.There's lots more stuff out there that Apple hasn't even touched yet but is available on other "smartphones".

So yes others innovate and all you need to do is take those Apple blinkers off!

Can't we just go to the app store??

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I agree with you 100%

And if Apple wants to instigate the madness and play these games they better realize that they are not always going to win.

Regarding this Patent BS and fighting : They say there is always someone bigger than you out on the playground, but nowadays it doesn't matter because some of the smaller kids pack a gun.

BTW....glad you took off the tinfoil hat Applescruff :)

I get a kick out of the people here who blindly defend Apple suing every Tom, Dick and Harry for the most trivial reason, yet refuse to see that Apple has copied ideas from day one. But the response will be, "that's different". The mind manipulation is frightening.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
if we continue to use copy then technically everybody copied whoever first put a browser, email, media player, and all that on a phone. a copy should be something that looks similar or identical to another product or feature.

Yep, everyone in the industry does it. It's called "Standing on the shoulders of giants". Even Apple does it.

But you know what ? Only Apple plays victim because of it and that's where people call them out on it. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Apple didn't call everyone else "copycats" while also copying their competition's feature sets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.