Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
A little out of place, i think, since Apple is an American company. I cold have unerstood nighthood if Ive brought his talents to a British Co.

The honor is for the man, not the company he works for. Thats the way the honor system works. He's a British citizen born and bred with a full British passport working overseas. I can't see any impropriety here...

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Let's hope Apple changes his bio to reflect this.

Instead of Jonathan Ive they should change it to Sir Jonathan Ive.

Although he may choose not to use it. A lot of people accept the honor but don't actively use the title, which is allowed, but I think protocol demands that others should refer to him as Sir lol. In reality it just means that any time he's mentioned on BBC news he'll be called "Sir Jonathan Ive" whether he wants to be or not lol

I don't often pay much attention to the queens honor list or the awarding of KBEs but I might just tune in to watch this one :)

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
To be honest, the continued celebration of class & status of the royal family, the queen, and knights is nothing more than farce. As an outsider (i.e. non Brit), I think Brits often overdo it.

However, Ive's award is a recognition of his accomplishments, not his class or status. This is why it is an extremely honorable award, it shows respect for a man based on what he's accomplished through hard work. Millions of people feast their eyes on masterpieces of his work daily. This is why he more than deserves "official" recognition for it.

Ever think, as an outsider, you might get more of it than we do? The UK, is known internationally for it's English-speaking Royal Family, so that's how people sum it (hence idiotic caricatures of British people in tons of American films and TV) It's not such a big deal here, and when people are crowding around to watch the changing of the guard, I'm willing to bet they're not mostly British (speaking as a Canadian-born Brit who used to work at a well-known Castle in Edinburgh).

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
A knight… like the people from the medieval times? When will he go on his first crusade? And most importantly: How does his armor look like, does he have a proper war horse and: Who is his squire?

As long as the armour isn't white, it'll take 18 months to get the colour right.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I don't understand why people are getting so worked up on the title 'Knighthood' ...it doesn't give you special powers, it's a title, his work is recognised.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Even bigger news Richie McCaw turned down a Knighthood for this lot of honours. But that would prob be lost in you lot here.....

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Everytime I hear about a new knighthood I fear what'll happen if we ever made our knights go to war ;) hehe.

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Even bigger news Richie McCaw turned down a Knighthood for this lot of honours. But that would prob be lost in you lot here.....

He's probably holding out to join the NZ Order Of Merit instead ;) Still, I reckon that the ABs were damn lucky to get through that final. Some of the reffing decisions were borderline to say the least!

As for JI, I would have thought an OBE or CBE at most, given that Knighthood tends to be awarded after long service in the field that the person is being honoured for (50+ years for entertainers, 20+ years for sportsmen, 30+ years for businesspeople, etc).

Renzatic

Suspended
Everytime I hear about a new knighthood I fear what'll happen if we ever made our knights go to war ;) hehe.

It'd be good for morale, at least.

"Did you see that new tank Sir Jonathan made? It's made out of a single piece of reinforced iron, and doesn't have any exposed rivets. Thing is sleek, man".

"Whoa. That just about makes up for Anthony Hopkins getting winged out on the front".

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
One of most underrated figures in the industry. Because of Steve Jobs most people didn't even heard of him, some even thinks it was Jobs that designed everything lol.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The sheer volume of arrogance, ignorance, insolence, and morbidly uneducated comments in this thread are an embarrassment to those who make them and to Americans in general, and detract from those who have been genuine in their questions and comments.

The terminology of a Knighthood does not mean you are any more important or part of any special club with exclusive permissions over anyone else. It's simply an acknowledgment from your nation that you have contributed to the world and that Britain is proud of you, your achievements, and what you've contributed.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who thinks that a Knighthood and any reference to the British "Empire" means that we Brits still believe we are, in fact, an Empire just shows up a complete lack of education and a massive degree of ignorance to the traditions of another nation. Every single Brit knows that the British Empire is no more, we were taught as much in Primary School in basic history, but giving Knighthoods to those from our nation of whom we are proud is not an indication of us trying to revive a dead Empire.

We're simply proud of a Brit doing well for himself on such a scale, contributing to the world via his designs and work, and recognising him as such with an honour.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Moderators note:

Please keep your political arguments out of this news discussion. If you would like to debate the polical merits of the British honours system, feel free to start a thread in the PRSI forum.

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Can someone explain why knighthood is important and what it is for the American readers?

*edit* Thanks everyone for downrating my comment. I didn't know Americans are supposed to know everything about Great Britain

Most Brits could tell you what the Congressional Medal of Honor is and why it is important to Americans. File it under "General Knowledge, The World We Live In."

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
Sir Ive's designs will be remember along side the Aston Martin DB7, Bentley and Rolls Royce.

Well done.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
You get a Knighthood for stealing Brauns products now? I suppose it is the Apple way, steal other people's ideas

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
As an Apple fan since learning Quark Xpress on the first Mac many years ago I am of course pleased for the recognition Ive has garnered. But as a Brit of republican bent I find this royal honours stuff both archaic and embarrassing. So deeply uncool, like when Sir Paul McCartney did his kneeling for the queen (that one must have had John Lennon vomiting in his grave). As for the hippy billionaire, I guess he would probably have been magnanimous enough to congratulate Jony but the chances of him ever using the salutation 'Sir' would, rightly, have been zero for reasons of ego and philosophical/political outlook. Thankfully, I can't imagine anyone else in Cupertino using it either. Stay cool Apple - beauty matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sorry to be pedantic but as others have said, the correct shortened form is Sir Jonny/Jonathan or the full is Sir Jonathan Ive

To a pedantic geek from the UK, Sir Ive just sounds so wrong!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.