Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:38 AM   #76
Bevz
macrumors 6502a

Fantastic news for Ive and his family! A great honour, richly deserved
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:41 AM   #77
Peace
macrumors P6

Let's hope Apple changes his bio to reflect this.

Instead of Jonathan Ive they should change it to Sir Jonathan Ive.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:46 AM   #78
Bevz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
A little out of place, i think, since Apple is an American company. I cold have unerstood nighthood if Ive brought his talents to a British Co.
The honor is for the man, not the company he works for. Thats the way the honor system works. He's a British citizen born and bred with a full British passport working overseas. I can't see any impropriety here...
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:54 AM   #79
Bevz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Let's hope Apple changes his bio to reflect this.

Instead of Jonathan Ive they should change it to Sir Jonathan Ive.
Although he may choose not to use it. A lot of people accept the honor but don't actively use the title, which is allowed, but I think protocol demands that others should refer to him as Sir lol. In reality it just means that any time he's mentioned on BBC news he'll be called "Sir Jonathan Ive" whether he wants to be or not lol

I don't often pay much attention to the queens honor list or the awarding of KBEs but I might just tune in to watch this one
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:59 AM   #80
farleysmaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskiegangsta View Post
To be honest, the continued celebration of class & status of the royal family, the queen, and knights is nothing more than farce. As an outsider (i.e. non Brit), I think Brits often overdo it.

However, Ive's award is a recognition of his accomplishments, not his class or status. This is why it is an extremely honorable award, it shows respect for a man based on what he's accomplished through hard work. Millions of people feast their eyes on masterpieces of his work daily. This is why he more than deserves "official" recognition for it.
Ever think, as an outsider, you might get more of it than we do? The UK, is known internationally for it's English-speaking Royal Family, so that's how people sum it (hence idiotic caricatures of British people in tons of American films and TV) It's not such a big deal here, and when people are crowding around to watch the changing of the guard, I'm willing to bet they're not mostly British (speaking as a Canadian-born Brit who used to work at a well-known Castle in Edinburgh).
farleysmaster is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:59 AM   #81
Abyssgh0st
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Abyssgh0st
A big congratulations to him- that's a great achievement.
Abyssgh0st is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:10 AM   #82
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthen View Post
A knight… like the people from the medieval times? When will he go on his first crusade? And most importantly: How does his armor look like, does he have a proper war horse and: Who is his squire?
As long as the armour isn't white, it'll take 18 months to get the colour right.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:30 AM   #83
KPJLK
macrumors member

The "Order of the Phoenix" might have been more appropriate.
KPJLK is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:31 AM   #84
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
I don't understand why people are getting so worked up on the title 'Knighthood' ...it doesn't give you special powers, it's a title, his work is recognised.
kirky29 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:36 AM   #85
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Excellent, maybe we'll see aluminium unibody knight armour that he designed!
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:39 AM   #86
fivenotrump
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky29 View Post
I don't understand why people are getting so worked up on the title 'Knighthood' ...it doesn't give you special powers, it's a title, his work is recognised.
We are not upset about the name of the title, but by the knavery surrounding the awards
fivenotrump is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:56 AM   #87
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Even bigger news Richie McCaw turned down a Knighthood for this lot of honours. But that would prob be lost in you lot here.....
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:00 AM   #88
LastLine
macrumors 65816

Everytime I hear about a new knighthood I fear what'll happen if we ever made our knights go to war hehe.
LastLine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:06 AM   #89
Gaspode67
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Even bigger news Richie McCaw turned down a Knighthood for this lot of honours. But that would prob be lost in you lot here.....

He's probably holding out to join the NZ Order Of Merit instead Still, I reckon that the ABs were damn lucky to get through that final. Some of the reffing decisions were borderline to say the least!

As for JI, I would have thought an OBE or CBE at most, given that Knighthood tends to be awarded after long service in the field that the person is being honoured for (50+ years for entertainers, 20+ years for sportsmen, 30+ years for businesspeople, etc).
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:08 AM   #90
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLine View Post
Everytime I hear about a new knighthood I fear what'll happen if we ever made our knights go to war hehe.
It'd be good for morale, at least.

"Did you see that new tank Sir Jonathan made? It's made out of a single piece of reinforced iron, and doesn't have any exposed rivets. Thing is sleek, man".

"Whoa. That just about makes up for Anthony Hopkins getting winged out on the front".
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:14 AM   #91
Frozzie
macrumors regular

One of most underrated figures in the industry. Because of Steve Jobs most people didn't even heard of him, some even thinks it was Jobs that designed everything lol.
Frozzie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:23 AM   #92
WeegieMac

The sheer volume of arrogance, ignorance, insolence, and morbidly uneducated comments in this thread are an embarrassment to those who make them and to Americans in general, and detract from those who have been genuine in their questions and comments.

The terminology of a Knighthood does not mean you are any more important or part of any special club with exclusive permissions over anyone else. It's simply an acknowledgment from your nation that you have contributed to the world and that Britain is proud of you, your achievements, and what you've contributed.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who thinks that a Knighthood and any reference to the British "Empire" means that we Brits still believe we are, in fact, an Empire just shows up a complete lack of education and a massive degree of ignorance to the traditions of another nation. Every single Brit knows that the British Empire is no more, we were taught as much in Primary School in basic history, but giving Knighthoods to those from our nation of whom we are proud is not an indication of us trying to revive a dead Empire.

We're simply proud of a Brit doing well for himself on such a scale, contributing to the world via his designs and work, and recognising him as such with an honour.
WeegieMac is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:26 AM   #93
OllyW

Moderators note:

Please keep your political arguments out of this news discussion. If you would like to debate the polical merits of the British honours system, feel free to start a thread in the PRSI forum.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:48 AM   #94
HelveticaRoman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
Can someone explain why knighthood is important and what it is for the American readers?

*edit* Thanks everyone for downrating my comment. I didn't know Americans are supposed to know everything about Great Britain
Most Brits could tell you what the Congressional Medal of Honor is and why it is important to Americans. File it under "General Knowledge, The World We Live In."
HelveticaRoman is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:51 AM   #95
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
great recognition for a man behind some truly iconic ideas.

Congrats Sir Ive
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:00 AM   #96
pandamonia
Banned

Sir Ive's designs will be remember along side the Aston Martin DB7, Bentley and Rolls Royce.

Well done.

Last edited by annk; Jan 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: PRSI comment
pandamonia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:07 AM   #97
gazmac
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to gazmac Send a message via Skype™ to gazmac
As an Apple fan since learning Quark Xpress on the first Mac many years ago I am of course pleased for the recognition Ive has garnered. But as a Brit of republican bent I find this royal honours stuff both archaic and embarrassing. So deeply uncool, like when Sir Paul McCartney did his kneeling for the queen (that one must have had John Lennon vomiting in his grave). As for the hippy billionaire, I guess he would probably have been magnanimous enough to congratulate Jony but the chances of him ever using the salutation 'Sir' would, rightly, have been zero for reasons of ego and philosophical/political outlook. Thankfully, I can't imagine anyone else in Cupertino using it either. Stay cool Apple - beauty matters.

Last edited by annk; Jan 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Commenting on moderation. Please use the Contact Us form.
gazmac is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:09 AM   #98
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sorry to be pedantic but as others have said, the correct shortened form is Sir Jonny/Jonathan or the full is Sir Jonathan Ive

To a pedantic geek from the UK, Sir Ive just sounds so wrong!

Last edited by Moccasin; Dec 31, 2011 at 04:10 AM.
Moccasin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:18 AM   #99
applebook
macrumors 6502a

Why...well done, sir, well done!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:22 AM   #100
blinkie
macrumors regular

iRise Sir Jonny.

You guys are so slow this morning. I can't believe I got in there first with this.
blinkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion