Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scythe5

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I see that most people like it....I think it's a hideous creation. That's one of the ugliest boats I've ever seen.

I guess as long as it doesn't use Apple Maps it should be fairly safe. ;D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
This is better... probably cheaper too:rolleyes:

Not really better. Have you ever been on a yacht that size at sea. I don't mean a harbor cruise or a dockside tour. I mean "at sea". If you have you'd know in a minuet your die on that thing. The main trouble is the huge open spaces where you'd get tossed 20 feet into a well. Boats made for the open ocen have grab rails and smaller internal spaces.

Also the extream width means the boat will roll badly and make the crew sick.

THis thing is designed for flat protected water and us at the dock. Ocen going boats are more narrow

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Awful. It's typical Starck nonsense. Really surprised that he was picked by Jobs. As a designer he's the anthesis of Ives.

And by what credentials do you make such a statement? Or are you just another nothing that criticizes the work of others just to feel self-important in your miserable nothing life?

----------

I see that most people like it....I think it's a hideous creation. That's one of the ugliest boats I've ever seen.

I guess as long as it doesn't use Apple Maps it should be fairly safe. ;D

Oh the Apple Maps app comment is SOoooooo original. How did you ever come up with it?

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
No. Because of the way he made and used Windows. He very aggressively abused his near monopoly position. Kind of like Walmart (or the late 1800's version of Standard Oil) but worse.

Your right. Bill Gates is such a bad person for something that happened over 15 years ago. People aren't capable of learning from their mistakes and changing their ways. I guess that is why he gives much of his wealth away, because that is what bad people do.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Those appear to be the new iMacs to me....
I think
So jealous! My one dream in life is to sail around the world on a luxury yacht for a few years and this is one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen!! I think Sir Jony would approve.

topmike

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Looks like a Buddhist Temple

To flow with his theme of "Zen" To me, the yacht is very Buddhist looking. As we all know, Jobs was very much a Buddhist, and as such preferred clean lines and "minimal" aesthetics over clutter. (This picture is from the Midwest Buddhist Temple in the US) - My 2 cents.

Midwest_Buddhist_Temple.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
At first glance, that thing is very ugly. Like a piece of floating cheese.

However, you can imagine the detail which would have gone into that thing.
I would love to see a proper tour around the ship.
Even the anchor looks like it has been redesigned!!

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
$1.00 a month

You see, he was only paid a dollar a month...but he saved all those dollars and see what he bought!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
You are correct about SJ , but Gates is a full time philanthropist.

Bill Gates gives more to charity than some countries make in a year.

Bill Gates is a good man.
Yes I know. I was just being sarcastic in my post. Bill & Melinda have done amazing things. One of the greatest, is the example they set for their peers like Larry Ellison, who is another selfish narcissist in the image of Steve Jobs.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
It's better than not hiring them at all. When you think about it, every single big company that hires Chinese workers is helping the world way more than the average person. Oh, plus taxes.

Or at least that's what the propaganda tells us.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Really? His Santa Rita home looks more like his style was Olde English rather than Frank Lloyd Wright.

On the outside one could make that it is actually more Asian, or Buddhist in design.

The interior layout is very minimalistic, very Zen like. Mr. Wright was a minimalist. One could easily describe the yacht as a minimalist design, IMO.

Just saying. :apple:

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Nice hull, but thats it.

The hull looks nice and those windows along the sides to the bow are cool. But the wheelhouse and main deck cabin look awful. The hull is so sharp the contrast of the square upper decks look like bricks with a fugly roof profile.

Starck's only attribute is to educate designers in what NOT to do.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
i don't think steve would like this ship. look at his house, the campus design, the macs--there are curves. this ship is like a box. more like a windows 8 boat.

While it doesn't look what I would have imagined Steves yacht to look like, I seriously doubt that it look much different than the design he agreed on before he died.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Wonder if it is user upgradeable or do you have to discard it and buy another one after your warranty expires?

Wnder if next years model will have all the features removed but be razor thin?

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
While it doesn't look what I would have imagined Steves yacht to look like, I seriously doubt that it look much different than the design he agreed on before he died.

well, the scale of the boat and frank lloyd wright inspired design does kind of fit steve's style from what i've read about him. i think i just hate how they have imacs as the navigation screens. kind of a tacky taste. and museum-y.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I have been in some pretty rough seas and I can tell you there are real benefits to physical, analog, sensors and guages for basic functions. 99% of the time those computer displays are just fine, but it is when you are in a strong storm or hit something that you judge your facilities.

I expect this is a "fair weather" ship.

Or that said analog instruments are elsewhere and not pictured. Aircraft with glass panels also have a set of conventional instruments as a backup, for use in the event of a power failure. I suspect the same rule applies to sailing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.