Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Beginning to think this phone is going to replace my iPhone 4S. The iPhone 5 just didn't do enough for me to update this time around.

Michael

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
do they do the whole midnight thing like apple? so 12:00am on the 13th?

Ya I am wondering this too. Also wondering if they are going to ship it that day or if shipping is going to start out at like 5 days or something.

Beginning to think this phone is going to replace my iPhone 4S. The iPhone 5 just didn't do enough for me to update this time around.

I am in the exact same boat.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
It looks brighter but more washed out. The pic on the N4 is nicer imo.

Not sure if this matters, but it looks like that person is looking at the picture in Safari on the iPhone...

Also, both cameras should be taking photos natively at a 4:3 ratio, which both phones are not displaying the image in, btw.

edit: I also realize you and others can be talking about just the display and not inferring that the image was taken from both cameras. However, I did notice some people try to compare both cameras from that image.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
It looks brighter but more washed out. The pic on the N4 is nicer imo.

That was most likely just from the expose of the camera. Probably a longer shutter speed or higher ISO, thus making one look more blown out when in real life the iPhone will be brighter and the Nexus will be darker. But that could just be because the Nexus' brightness settings were down.

I could easily create the same thing by having my brothers iPhone with a lower brightness and mine at full and then take a picture with the expose more geared towards the dimmer screen.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Nexus 4 is the only other smartphone that has an IPS display, like iPhone. A few of the reviews I've read said it's a terrific display. My Galaxy 3 is actually very good so I won't be surprised to find my new Nexus 4 even better.

This is one phone I'm likely to keep for more than one year. That's the advantage of Nexus, updates are not delayed by carrier preloads of unwanted Apps.

If you're a smartphone enthusiast with a desire to try Android, this phone won't disappoint you. Having had each Nexus to date, I can appreciate the refinement of version 4.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I'm excited about Zerogap technology. Apparently, "...the result is greater touch sensitivity offering users an immersive and real-touch sensing experience..."

----------

Some more general impressions of the device overall: http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/21248/google-nexus-4-hands-on-impressions

Choice quotes:

Google has clearly taken the best parts of LG's Optimus G -- the foundation upon which the phone is based -- and polished them to near-perfection. Put simply, the Nexus 4 looks and feels the way a high-end smartphone should. It's sleek, solid, and not at all flimsy. There are no cheap-feeling, plasticky surfaces here.

This is hands-down one of the best screens I've seen on an Android phone, rivaling the likes of HTC's One X for the gold-medal spot.

Last but not least, there's the back of the phone -- which, like the phone's front, utilizes Corning Gorilla Glass 2 for protection. At the risk of firing off an overused adjective, I feel compelled to say that the back of the Nexus 4 is -- yes, I'm going there -- beautiful. LG has created a mesmerizing moving-crystal effect that brings to mind the classic Google Nexus wallpaper. The design actually appears to shift as you change your perspective. It's really something to see.

And apparently the front and edges of the screen "begs to be caressed."

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Baseband
Exact model: Gobi MDM8215
Manufacturer: Qualcomm
Bands: GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), 3G (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz), HSPA+ 42
Integrated Radios: BT 4.0/LE, 802.11ac/a/b/g/n (2.4/5 GHz)
Cores: Single Cortex A5
Instruction Set: ARMv7

So this thing supports AC wifi at 1Gb/s???

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Not sure if this matters, but it looks like that person is looking at the picture in Safari on the iPhone...

Also, both cameras should be taking photos natively at a 4:3 ratio, which both phones are not displaying the image in, btw.

edit: I also realize you and others can be talking about just the display and not inferring that the image was taken from both cameras. However, I did notice some people try to compare both cameras from that image.

Yeah but to me it dont matter. Both take good pictures so trying to nitpick one thing here and there is really petty. It isnt like we are dealing with bad cameras here.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds like that reviewer needs to spend a little more time away from his tech gadgets...:eek:

Ha, yeah. I think he's talking about the ever slightly curved edges of the screen to the bezel. Apparently it makes for a more natural feeling to swipe across the screen.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
This is looking excellent. I have a local provider that does $10/month unlimited browsing. A little rooting and proxy redirect and I will have most of the data working. HSDPA+ 41 is OK for me considering my current phone does 0. Don't care about the camera, 8GB is probably enough. Looking forward to using NFC and the wireless charging. I wonder if the old Palm Touchstones will work on this one?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
The reviews will have to sore for this device to really take off.

Though I am singing almost nothing but praise for the device, I actually will not be an early adopter. Will have to see just how much of an improvement over the Galaxy Nexus it is.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I can't decide between these two phones as well.

The MAIN advantages for the Note II (for me):

I have excellent LTE coverage (avg 25-35, up to 50mbps)
5gb of data before throttling (3G gets throttled after 3gb)
Micro SD for additional 64gb of space
Huge screen for web browsing/multimedia

Advantages for the Nexus:

Excellent price with no contract
Pure android
IPS display

I flip flop back and forth between devices depending on a review or hands on video I see that day. It's a 50/50 toss up at this point.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
The Note II is a powerhouse to be reckoned with. I can see why one would choose that over the Nexus. I think as long as you can live without direct updates from Google, then the Note II sounds like the way to go.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Android peeps, is the extra 8 gb worth it? I don't keep alot of apps on my iphone 4, i stream most of my music from rdio. i take photos, but not a whole lot. I probably could just upload photos to drive, right?

Are the android apps super big compared to the iOS? my main ones are flipboard, FB, nike+, and rdio.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
I can't decide between these two phones as well.

The MAIN advantages for the Note II (for me):

I have excellent LTE coverage (avg 25-35, up to 50mbps)
5gb of data before throttling (3G gets throttled after 3gb)
Micro SD for additional 64gb of space
Huge screen for web browsing/multimedia

Advantages for the Nexus:

Excellent price with no contract
Pure android
IPS display

I flip flop back and forth between devices depending on a review or hands on video I see that day. It's a 50/50 toss up at this point.

I need to send you a PM to see how you end up hashing this out. I have an upgrade available through AT&T which would make the Note 2 $300. Obviously we already know the pricing of the Nexus. I have never used LTE here but from the coverage map my city has it.

I think for me its going to come down to some hands on time with the Note 2 to see if its just too big.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

That is a very good hands-on review. I actually liked the design of the Galaxy Nexus, but this is so much better. Cool how the back kind of changes.

I think most Android phone designs are kind of crap. But I think Motorola gets it right.

I'm still contemplating leaving Verizon for this phone. But I want it the more and more I read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.