Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I don’t pay for many software subscriptions, 1Password is worth it.
Same here.
So there won't be any more browser extensions? You need to rely on copy and paste now? Why? I am not seeing anything in their news feed. Where is the source on this?
The classic extension
I use diceware to generate strong unique passwords and then store them in my head yes.
Even then, you still have to remember something.

Cancelled
Jun 14, 2007
this has been said many times. It works on Apple stuff only for one (I have Linux and Android), it’s extremely limited also.
OK.

Aren’t you concerned about a hacker getting into the third-party system and then you’re screwed? Apple is EBD to end encrypted.

Is there another option that provides this level of security?

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
OK.

Aren’t you concerned about a hacker getting into the third-party system and then you’re screwed? Apple is EBD to end encrypted.

Not one bit worried. I don’t want all my stuff tied to Apple also. With thieves stealing peoples iPhones and changing the pin to the phone and then the thief has control only your Apple ID, no thanks. Yes, I did stuff to help prevent this. I also see way too many people on Reddit who get locked out of their Apple ID, and they are locked out of everything… including passwords. I don’t even use iCloud email for this reasons also. It’s to a point that more cross platform an app is, the more I’ll want to use it.
1Password and other password managers are end to end encrypted.

Tiberius2000

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2015
Washington D.C.
1Password is deprecating its browser extension in July. I can't upgrade to version 8 because I am using an older OS. Nor do I like their subscription model. This means I must migrate my passwords to a different program.

I guess I don't need a browser extension. I could cut and paste the password into a site when I need to. Tedious, of course.
It isn't that I don't mind paying for a product. It's that I want to keep my password vault local and secure on my computer, not broadcast over the internet to the cloud or some company's server. I realize I have some work ahead of me, but to me the privacy is more important the convenience of a browser extension.

Would anyone care to make a list of possible password managers that keep my vault local?
There's KeepassX and KeepassXC, but I don't know anything about them or any alternatives.
I am a 1Password user. I love it but I also use it to manage passwords of my parents, spouse and my own across different devices and OSs.

I bought into it when there were few services doing that with heavy Mac, Linux and Chrome support.

Keep in mind your use case: if it is for you alone on Apple products exclusively, the built in manager is probably good enough. If your case is like mine, Bitwarden is also a good choice. Avoid Keypass.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
1Password is deprecating its browser extension in July. I can't upgrade to version 8 because I am using an older OS. Nor do I like their subscription model. This means I must migrate my passwords to a different program.

I guess I don't need a browser extension. I could cut and paste the password into a site when I need to. Tedious, of course.
It isn't that I don't mind paying for a product. It's that I want to keep my password vault local and secure on my computer, not broadcast over the internet to the cloud or some company's server. I realize I have some work ahead of me, but to me the privacy is more important the convenience of a browser extension.

Would anyone care to make a list of possible password managers that keep my vault local?
There's KeepassX and KeepassXC, but I don't know anything about them or any alternatives.

Download the extension, enable dev mode and load it manually. Technically it should continue to work until it becomes incompatible with future Chrome or Firefox versions.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
So there won't be any more browser extensions? You need to rely on copy and paste now? Why? I am not seeing anything in their news feed. Where is the source on this?
I guess what they mean is it won't be available for download anymore. You can still download the extension from their website and use it locally.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
Lots of great help here. Thanks very much. I'll take a look.

Bitwarden is three dollars per month? I would rather avoid subscriptions.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

If a hacker breached 1Password’s database and got their hands on everyone’s data, it would still be secure. My data is encrypted by my master password, which is unknown to 1Password. And so is everyone else’s.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
OK. I'm trying Enpass. I imported all my 1Password entries, but some of them contain long lists of gibberish.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
OK. I'm trying Enpass. I imported all my 1Password entries, but some of them contain long lists of gibberish.
Apple’s solution is okay. I have most my passwords in 1Password but have some in iCloud Keychain. Eventually I’ll transition fully to Apple once it’s a little more easier to manage.

Reactions: Shaun the Sheep

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
There is no need to migrate.

From https://support.1password.com/kb/202303/: "If you can’t upgrade to 1Password 8 because your Mac has an older version of macOS, you can keep using the browser extension for Safari that’s included with 1Password 7 for Mac."

I don't think you read to the end.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
So does 1Password 8 now include a new extension? I’m confused by this. Is the “1Password for Safari” on the App Store considered an extension?
This thread is terribly confused. The OP has 1Password 7 (though didn't say so) and the classic iPassword extension for Safari is being "deprecated", but it will continue to work for those who can't upgrade to iPassword 8.

The “1Password for Safari” on the App Store is a Safari extension and is for iPassword 8. If you are using 1Password 8, you can ignore this thread.

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003

Enpass is the closest app you’ll find to 1Password. It’s interface isn’t as polished (then again, 1P8’s interface isn’t great either), but it fully supports local vaults, WLAN sync, a native Safari browser extension (as well as extensions for Chrome and Firefox), etc.

Plus you can purchase it outright instead of dealing with a subscription.

It’s what I ultimately decided upon after the fiasco of 1Password 8 forced me to move to another solution.

Reactions: RusHayer

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
What’s wrong with using Apple’s Keychain Manager? I find it works great.
Nothing as such, for browser related log ins. What’s missing however is the ability to store usernames, passwords for other devices, license keys and/ or attachments/ pdf, secure noted. Yes, it can be done outside of Keychain but it’s nice to have this in the one place.

ErneX

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
I moved from 1Password to Bitwarden, I also self-host it using Vaultwarden, it works pretty great and I don’t pay a dime.

On iOS it integrates as a password manager so you can trigger it from websites or apps.

It also keeps a cached vault on any device you accessed it, so even if you don’t have connection to the main vault you still have access to your passwords.

I needed something that worked across many different operating systems and this does.

Reactions: arkitect

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Passwords are one of the most critical data I have. Paying a yearly subscription fee is a price I willingly pay for secure access to my password list across multiple devices. Apple’s solution is close but they don’t do Windows, Linux and alternative browsers on MacOS. Even with recent improvements they still don’t allow me to completely store other secure info in their password manager.
There is a windows app for iCloud Keychain which is better than the macOS app

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Nothing as such, for browser related log ins. What’s missing however is the ability to store usernames, passwords for other devices, license keys and/ or attachments/ pdf, secure noted. Yes, it can be done outside of Keychain but it’s nice to have this in the one place.
Imo it logically makes more sense to store that sorta stuff in Notes rather than a password manger.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess I don't need a browser extension. I could cut and paste the password into a site when I need
I can't speak for you, but that does not sound feasible and I would not do that myself.

So if you're on Mac only, why not use keychain? Others have mentioned a number of options, including bitwarden. I'll not be able to add any wisdom to that.

While I decided myself that the 1Password offers value for the subscription, I understand that many people don't think so, nor are they happy with the cloud only option and no local vaults - I get that, and I'm not debating that. I do think password managers that offer local only storage are few and far between imo. Bitwarden can be self hosted, but that's not exactly the same - you're storing the vault on a server (or cloud) of your own choosing, not storing it locally.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.