Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike. Just Mike.

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Yardley, PA
1Password is deprecating its browser extension in July. I can't upgrade to version 8 because I am using an older OS. Nor do I like their subscription model. This means I must migrate my passwords to a different program.

I guess I don't need a browser extension. I could cut and paste the password into a site when I need to. Tedious, of course.
It isn't that I don't mind paying for a product. It's that I want to keep my password vault local and secure on my computer, not broadcast over the internet to the cloud or some company's server. I realize I have some work ahead of me, but to me the privacy is more important the convenience of a browser extension.

Would anyone care to make a list of possible password managers that keep my vault local?
There's KeepassX and KeepassXC, but I don't know anything about them or any alternatives.
Yeah, as a security professional my advice would be to update if you can. Old and unmaintained software is a massive security risk.

Additionally, in my own research, 1Password is clearly the best password manager you can use. It has a third factor to its key generation that nobody else does, resulting in a significantly more secure encrypted vault.

Mike. Just Mike.

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Yardley, PA
This is one of the major advantages. I've been comparing 1PW vs. Bitwarden. I like both and both have pluses and minuses but 1PW is seemingly a superior product
I agree, mostly because of that third factor, and it’s easy to use CLI integration. Never store tokens in dotfiles again!

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
I used to be a heavy user of 1Password, but for personal use have since switched over to iCloud Keychain and periodically export all my credentials into Strongbox.

iCloud Keychain performs the best on my Apple devices. Strongbox gives me a secure backup copy of that data that I can store on non-Apple infrastructure. And because Strongbox uses the KeePass format, I can access this data cross platform if/when needed.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nobody should be using LastPass, there's been too many security breaches. They've kept security issues secret for too long before making them public.

The following password managers allow you to keep your vault local:

Bitwarden
Codebook
Enpass
eWallet
RoboForm
SafeInCloud
Sticky Password
Strongbox

The following password managers do not allow you to keep your vault local:

1Password
Dashlane
Keeper
LastPass
Minimalist
NordPass
Password Boss
Secrets
Zoho Vault

Note: These are just those that I know about, as I am sure there are more.

I use Codebook, and highly recommend it.

thenahon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2019
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Nor do I like their subscription model.
I've used Enpass since 1Password became junk with their sub protection money
I've just replaced 1Password with Strongbox as I didn't want to be forced into a sub.

↑ "I expect the app to be perfect and never need updates. I expect developers to work for free after my initial purchase."
These are the kind of people who don't tip because "they're already getting paid!"
Passwords are one of the most critical data I have. Paying a yearly subscription fee is a price I willingly pay for secure access to my password list across multiple devices.

↑ I could not agree more. Paying to keep my passwords secure is worth every penny.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
↑ "I expect the app to be perfect and never need updates. I expect developers to work for free after my initial purchase."
These are the kind of people who don't tip because "they're already getting paid!"
Yet everyone was quite ok with it prior to companies chosing to only offer subscription models. "The kind of people"..wow. You don't know anything about me, my experiences or uses. Such a blanket comment is quite presumptuous and frankly very rude.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Lots of great help here. Thanks very much. I'll take a look.

Bitwarden is three dollars per month? I would rather avoid subscriptions.

I am still running 7 because I was tentative about the conversion to Electron but it has been a while and I don't hear any horror stories so I guess I will upgrade.

On subscriptions... I hear you and I rail against subscriptions here on MR quite a bit, here is my take on paying a sub for 1password and other apps like it:

Take something like a word processor (word, pages, etc.) when they are released, as part of a normal software cycle, the dev only needs to worry about 3 things: bugs, major os releases and new features. Most only need to do this for a single OS, Microsoft being the exception.

Then you have something like 1password. They need to release their app, on multiple OSs and browsers, then between releases make sure that none of their supported OSs or browsers "break" with updates. So at anytime Firefox may break between major releases, the next day Safari, the next Brave, etc. Then of course they also need to worry about bugs, major OS releases and lastly, new features.

I acknowledge I might just be jumping through some hoops to justify this choice but I feel the maintenance of an app like 1Password is more difficult than a more static app, like a work processor, therefore it justifies the sub model. There is absolutely no reason to have a subscription for something like Office365, those apps are really static and I could live out the rest of my days using Office 2000 if it was still supported. The average user probably has not seen a useful new feature in 20 years.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I agree with @rctneil - my day job is information security. It is a constant struggle between security & convenience. I have been using 1Password since 2008. I don't think anyone is a "fan" of the subscription model, but it has its place for certain software.

In this case, the ability for me to have 700+ completely different passwords, with constant breach assessment, and 2FA enabling reminders for when services add that feature outweighs the concern I have with storing those passwords on someone else's server. We store so much on "someone else's server". Let's say you utilize Proton Mail because you don't want Google reading all your email. It's still just sitting on someone else's server.

All that for $35 a year or whatever I am currently locked into since I've been a user for so long, is genuinely worth it in my mind. Not to say you cannot determine that isn't worth it, but just giving a bit of perspective if you're on the fence.

Cheers and good luck!
I totally agree with this.

I really resent subscribing to renting a piece of software that's essentially completed and shipped, but 1Password is definitely not that. It's a subscription to a security service. I'm paying for them to continually evolve their systems to counter changing threats, and for their browser extensions to stay compatible with constantly changing websites. It's well worth it.

I am still running 7 because I was tentative about the conversion to Electron but it has been a while and I don't hear any horror stories so I guess I will upgrade.
I'm pretty hazy on what the exact complaint is with that. I guess the fear is that a cross-platform design will sacrifice the finer points of Mac UI? I'm usually pretty sensitive to that kind of thing and 1Password's latest interfaces work quite smoothly on my Mac.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I'm pretty hazy on what the exact complaint is with that. I guess the fear is that a cross-platform design will sacrifice the finer points of Mac UI? I'm usually pretty sensitive to that kind of thing and 1Password's latest interfaces work quite smoothly on my Mac.

I may have fallen prey to fear mongering. I had read several complaints about the replacement of native apps with Electron apps and folks experiencing performance and memory issues and yes, a lack of UI refinement. I was ready to jump ship to Minimalist but I am still clinging to cross platform for now.

Reactions: ignatius345

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I'm confused about this as 1password 8 isn't listed in the App Store has it just come out or is from their site only?

Also I get that folks don't like subscription model but those complaining do you have Apple Music or Spotify etc as would be hypocritical complain about 1password subscription if you do it with other products :)

Reactions: ignatius345

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Also I get that folks don't like subscription model but those complaining do you have Apple Music or Spotify etc as would be hypocritical complain about 1password subscription if you do it with other products

At the risk of jumping off topic I feel there is a huge difference between AM, Spotify, Netflix, etc. where your subscription is really a rental fee for the content and subscriptions for something like Microsoft Office which I feel is a mostly static app.

The only reason MS switched Office365 to a sub is because they cannot get people to pay for upgrades. Microsoft does not offer any upgrade features that justify paying an upgrade fee. I could still be happily using Office 2000, there has not been a single feature upgrade that is required for my workflow and while that is personal I would bet that most users fall into this category.

One of the little perks I cannot wait for with retirement is never using MS Office again! Its just sooooo far off. 😭

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
At the risk of jumping off topic I feel there is a huge difference between AM, Spotify, Netflix, etc. where your subscription is really a rental fee for the content and subscriptions for something like Microsoft Office which I feel is a mostly static app.

The only reason MS switched Office365 to a sub is because they cannot get people to pay for upgrades. Microsoft does not offer any upgrade features that justify paying an upgrade fee. I could still be happily using Office 2000, there has not been a single feature upgrade that is required for my workflow and while that is personal I would bet that most users fall into this category.

One of the little perks I cannot wait for with retirement is never using MS Office again! Its just sooooo far off. 😭
Yes it’s slightly different but the principle is the same. It would be cheaper to buy the music or film I own outright than renting it for the rest of my life.

Yeah I agree about excel. It’s never introduced more features for me other than design improvements to modernise it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yeah, as a security professional my advice would be to update if you can. Old and unmaintained software is a massive security risk.

Additionally, in my own research, 1Password is clearly the best password manager you can use. It has a third factor to its key generation that nobody else does, resulting in a significantly more secure encrypted vault.
Yep. I know people are VERY against subscriptions, but if it pays the employees well enough to have passion to work there, and they can keep up with the security of their product, I’m all for it. I’m paying for a family account right now.

Reactions: xpxp2002

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Yes it’s slightly different but the principle is the same. It would be cheaper to buy the music or film I own outright than renting it for the rest of my life.

Yeah I agree about excel. It’s never introduced more features for me other than design improvements to modernise it.
I agree about Office itself. I mostly pay for Office 365 Family for the 5TB of OneDrive storage. But the applications would be just fine only getting ordinary security patching. No new features in the past 10 years have delivered any new value to the product.

Music and film/TV are different because there's always new content. If you only listen to/watch the same content for years and years, buying it outright is unquestionably better. But paying for a subscription can make sense when you're consuming new music all the time -- a $10/mo subscription would easily pay for itself just by listening to a new album or two every month.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A friend of mine was in "password hell" (he could never remember his passwords, even though he had some written down -- in MORSE CODE!).

So, using Pages, I created a very simple "vault" file for him.
Pages lets you encrypt a WP file with a password.

So, I created a Pages WP file and inserted a simple "table".

Here's a copy of it:
(the password protection has been de-activated, to re-activate you can do so in Pages' file menu)

Granted, this is just another "Fishrrman simple-minded solution".
But it works well for my friend.
I welcome suggestions as to how this file could be improved.

Attachments

• The Vault (Pages).zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 53

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Passwords are one of the most critical data I have. Paying a yearly subscription fee is a price I willingly pay for secure access to my password list across multiple devices. Apple’s solution is close but they don’t do Windows, Linux and alternative browsers on MacOS. Even with recent improvements they still don’t allow me to completely store other secure info in their password manager.
The idea that you need to use a subscription-supported password manager in order for secure access to passwords across multiple devices, is fundamentally flawed. I realize that ifxf didn't exactly say this, but many people believe this.

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.