Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
What’s wrong with using Apple’s Keychain Manager? I find it works great.
Apple keychain has come a long way but until they make the passwords accesible in icloud.com or similar like 1Password can then i can't use it exclusively.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What’s wrong with using Apple’s Keychain Manager? I find it works great.
Nothing if you stick strictly with apple products on apple platforms.

What dedicated password managers provide is a true platform agnostic solution and in many cases superior level of protection and security. I'm not knocking Keychain, but I do think for my needs (at the very least), 1Password provides a better experience.

Does Keychain warn you about re-used passwords? Does it report back on compromised passwords? Does it provide feedback on using weak passwords? I know it can generate strong passwords, but sometimes having a random string of 20 characters isn't feasible. That is trying to enter that into a PS5 using the controller since your PS5 password was created by keychain's automatic password creation tool.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
The idea that you need to use a subscription-supported password manager in order for secure access to passwords across multiple devices, is fundamentally flawed. I realize that ifxf didn't exactly say this, but many people believe this.

I agree *need* is a stretch. Apple is slowly adding in most of the features of 1Password into Keychain, although the cross ecosystem solution probably won't exist for quite some time. (Mac -> PC)

That being said, for how often we have to use passwords, and time being the only resource you cannot replenish, I don't mind paying an annual fee personally, since it makes my life so much easier.

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I agree *need* is a stretch. Apple is slowly adding in most of the features of 1Password into Keychain, although the cross ecosystem solution probably won't exist for quite some time. (Mac -> PC)

That being said, for how often we have to use passwords, and time being the only resource you cannot replenish, I don't mind paying an annual fee personally, since it makes my life so much easier.
I think you may have missed my point. There are several good password managers available that don't require a subscription.

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
While I decided myself that the 1Password offers value for the subscription, I understand that many people don't think so, nor are they happy with the cloud only option and no local vaults - I get that, and I'm not debating that. I do think password managers that offer local only storage are few and far between imo. Bitwarden can be self hosted, but that's not exactly the same - you're storing the vault on a server (or cloud) of your own choosing, not storing it locally.
Codebook, Enpass, eWallet, Minimalist, mSecure, Roboform, SafeInCloud, Secrets, Sticky Password, and Strongbox all allow you to keep your data local. For syncing in this case:

Codebook, eWallet, mSecure, and Sticky Password: via local WiFi.
Enpass: through your personal cloud account.
Minimalist: via iCloud.
RoboForm: no sync.
SafeInCloud: via the Cloud or your own NAS server (via WebDAV).
Secrets: for syncing in Secrets, your vaults must be in iCloud
Strongbox: via SFTP or WebDAV.

Last edited:

Hello1111111111

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2023
The following password managers allow you to keep your vault local:

Bitwarden
Codebook
Enpass
eWallet
RoboForm
SafeInCloud
Sticky Password
Strongbox

The following password managers do not allow you to keep your vault local:

1Password
Dashlane
Keeper
LastPass
Minimalist
NordPass
Password Boss
Secrets
Zoho Vault

Note: These are just those that I know about, as I am sure there are more.

I use Codebook, and highly recommend it.

This is wrong. Minimalist supports local vaults. In fact it is the default setting.

Reactions: gregmac19

ivan86

Contributor
Feb 24, 2016
Moscow / Berlin
I would suggest 3 options:

1) Move to 1Password subscription. v8 is excellent and literally runs circles around everything else out there in terms of functionality and polish.

2) Use OpenCore Legacy Patcher to update your macOS to most recent version. Check compatibility with your Mac first of course. But most likely it is supported. Good thing is it will allow you not only to use most recent versions of all the apps, but Advanced Data Protection will also work, thus if your old iMac is what prevented you from using it - you will be able to.

3) Go to Keepass client for Mac: Strongbox is the top choice for it in my book with Keepass XC close second.

The thing is - import of 1P database is still lacking. Keepass format does not recognise sections and thus if you use them extensively in 1P (like I do) -> having all passwords in all entries dumped together is not an attractive option for sure. Moreover, when I came across recent vulnerability related to master password… I figured. for the time being I will just continue enjoying 1P 8, which is really really good now in all fields.

• Love
Reactions: haruhiko

Hello1111111111

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2023
Nothing if you stick strictly with apple products on apple platforms.

What dedicated password managers provide is a true platform agnostic solution and in many cases superior level of protection and security. I'm not knocking Keychain, but I do think for my needs (at the very least), 1Password provides a better experience.

Does Keychain warn you about re-used passwords? Does it report back on compromised passwords? Does it provide feedback on using weak passwords? I know it can generate strong passwords, but sometimes having a random string of 20 characters isn't feasible. That is trying to enter that into a PS5 using the controller since your PS5 password was created by keychain's automatic password creation tool.
I see your posts all over these password manager threads. I'm glad you found something that works for you. But it's weird that you think Watchtower is a killer app. It's just an integrated HaveIBeenPwnd; you should have changed your compromised passwords a long time ago. Your posts also suggest you re-use a lot of the same passwords - a rookie mistake. As for your complaint about password generators and random strings for your PS5, any generator worth its salt allows you to customize the length and even to make it memorable using words. I pair Minimalist with an email forwarding service and each account has a unique email and password. I am just genuinely puzzled by your stance on so much of this topic...

Reactions: turbineseaplane

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The following password managers allow you to keep your vault local:

Bitwarden

You are correct that Bitwarden supports local vaults, but it's not a simple solution; it's not just an encrypted file on your computer. The local vault has to run in Docker, which is a separate, moderately heavy process. If you're not already running Docker for other things, you will be running a virtual machine for the sole purpose of accessing your local vault.

Reactions: gregmac19

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
This is wrong. Minimalist supports local vaults. In fact it is the default setting.
Thank you for the correction!

I can't find anything on their website that tells you where they are storing data. I incorrectly inferred that since they sync automatically via iCloud, that the data must be stored there. I corrected my posts.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Hello1111111111

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2023

I can't find anything on their website that tells you where they are storing data. I incorrectly inferred that since they sync automatically via iCloud, that the data must be stored there. I'll correct my posts.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. The UI naturally pushes iCloud sync, probably for simplicity. But it also stores data locally, and it encourages you to turn on (local) encrypted backups. However, it does not seem to allow you to host local *sync*, say, with a wi-fi server, as the old 1Password allowed, just to be clear

countermoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
Not interested in cloud services.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try several options to see which I like.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
True in some ways since I keep them in a separate encrypted cerebral partition meaning only verified parts of my conscious can access them.

Way too fancy for me. When I learn a new password I apply repeated electric shocks to my head to clear working memory. Then (and I know it's bad) I rely on obfuscation to protect my passwords during brain surgery or other hacking attempts.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

I can't find anything on their website that tells you where they are storing data. I incorrectly inferred that since they sync automatically via iCloud, that the data must be stored there. I corrected my posts.

Thanks again.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Way too fancy for me. When I learn a new password I apply repeated electric shocks to my head to clear working memory. Then (and I know it's bad) I rely on obfuscation to protect my passwords during brain surgery or other hacking attempts.

Yes I know a few people who clear their memory like that.

Good point about potential vulnerabilities when undergoing brain surgery. I hadn't considered that in my threat model. Too complacent in thinking cerebrospinal fluid gapped would be enough.

• Haha
Reactions: svenmany

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Not interested in cloud services.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try several options to see which I like.

OP, have you seen this previous answer? You don't need to do anything.

There is no need to migrate.

From https://support.1password.com/kb/202303/: "If you can’t upgrade to 1Password 8 because your Mac has an older version of macOS, you can keep using the browser extension for Safari that’s included with 1Password 7 for Mac."

I don't think you read to the end.

Reactions: Brian33

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I'm confused about this as 1password 8 isn't listed in the App Store has it just come out or is from their site only?
It is not in the Mac App Store and, I assume, will remain that way. Download from iPassword web site. The Mac App Store does have the Safari extension because that is the only way to get Safari extensions. The iPhone/iPad version is in the App Store.

Reactions: JamesMay82

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks for the link, but they don’t make it evident that syncing via iCloud is optional. (I am assuming this is the case given Hello1111111111’s original response.) As some people prefer to keep their data vault off any servers, you would think they would make it clear this is an option.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks for the link, but they don’t make it evident that syncing via iCloud is optional. (I am assuming this is the case given Hello1111111111’s original response.) As some people prefer to keep their data vault off any servers, you would think they would make it clear this is an option.
I can attest that it is optional. I have the app loaded and I have the ability to use (or not) iCloud sync across devices or create and save a backup locally.

Reactions: icanhazmac

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
But this would mean I would be managing two separate data bases. Strongbox has quite the plethora of pre filled keywords for exactly this kind of thing.
Yeah, I think it makes sense to store things separate. You wouldn’t put your keys in your filing cabinet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.