Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
AGKyle - first, thank you for responding for AgileBits on this forum. This is SO unlike a certain other vendor (*cough*Apple*cough*) who never responds to squat from anyone on ANY forum.

However, you aren't going to convince many of us that a switch to a subscription model is better for users who know what the heck they're doing. But, thanks for at least trying.

All I can do is explain why I enjoy it. :) We realize it won't be for everyone.

AGKyle, I own 1Password on windows, Mac, iPad, and iPhone. All licenses purchased separately. I even owned a pre App Store license back in the day. Are you telling me these are now all free to download and use without paying for the syncing service? Nothing is crippled? But if I want to, I can subscribe to 1Password service for things like vault sharing?

First, thanks for supporting 1Password for so many years!

1Password for Mac on the website has always had a "free" mode, that allowed people with less than 20 items to keep using it after the trial period. After having more than 20 items it would go into a locked out mode until a license was purchased.

1Password for Mac on the Mac App Store has been a paid product since it was released. Today we announced that it has gone free with in-app purchase. Basically the app without any purchases goes into read-only mode. It can "read" a vault but it cannot do anything with it beyond allow copy/paste and export. To use the app you must purchase the standalone license (in-app, via Apple) or subscribe to 1Password.com. It's not "free" with unlimited use, it's just able to be downloaded for free and be used in read-only. Otherwise it's the same as it always has been.

iOS is free with limited features, and the Pro features are unlocked via in-app purchase or by subscribing to 1Password.com.

Subscribing to 1Password.com is not free for license holders, it comes with a monthly or yearly fee. You can subscribe if you wish, which will get you all the benefits of a subscription including sharing amongst family members (with Family accounts only).

Hope that clears that up :)

People at AgileBits are great, the apps are great, the problem is that there're so many alternatives, they might not be as good as 1Password but they're much much cheaper now, iCloud Keychain is a free one if you're into the Apple walled gardens and sure you're not the product as in free apps.

I subscribe to Plex because it is cheaper than cords fees.

I subscribe to YNAB because it saves me money.

I subscribe to iCloud storage because it's just a buck for 3 devices backups.

1Password? I will just find an inferior substitute. Sorry guys.

Thanks for the feedback, but as I've suggested elsewhere in this thread, you can still buy 1Password licenses. They just aren't a focus for us.

However, the standalone license option seems to have been effectively hidden on your website, so the public impression you're giving is that subscription is the only option.

For new users, yup, that is the impression we want to give them because it's the easiest solution for new users and provides the most benefits. For users who ask for a standalone license can get it, or if they go down the path in the app that uses the standalone features can purchase a license. As I suggested elsewhere in this thread, open the app during first setup, click Other Options and choose the Create new standalone vault and you can purchase a license that way. It's not hidden, it's just not right in your face like it was before.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
For users who ask for a standalone license can get it, or if they go down the path in the app that uses the standalone features can purchase a license.

Still - a footnote on the "Pricing" page on the website would help. I suspect that a lot of people opposed to subscriptions won't get as far as downloading (might not even find the download) if they don't know there's a standalone option.

I've been extra confused because I wanted to try the Windows version alongside my Mac App Store copy - I created a demo account and was led to download 1Password v6 for Windows, which (unlike the Mac version) doesn't have a true standalone option - just limited, read-only support for folder-based vaults. I've since discovered the V4-for-Windows download (which won't work with a subscription and doesn't seem to have any way of syncing with the Mac version - a pain because one of my Macs is also stuck on Mavericks and 1PWv4 so that can't use a subscription).

NB: I've seen the posts on the AgileBits support forums regarding full folder-based support for 1PW6 for Windows - (on the to-do list, but don't hold your breath) - so I won't ask any more questions about it here (because MacRumors! - and the intended solution is pretty clear: upgrade the remaining Mac to a newer OS and use 1PW6 + subscription across the board).

A bit frustrating that the windows choice is between two feature-incomplete versions, but it does sort-of make it clearer why your cloud-based solution simplifies things a lot.

Reactions: AGKyle

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
We do continue to offer licenses for users, though we have de-emphasized them quite a bit
So when you say de-emphasized you mean hide that you can procure a license and present a message that the only way to use 1Password is to go the subscription route.

Reactions: Cobalt50

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Has anyone downloaded the upgrade and successfully navigated through the process of avoiding signing up for a subscription?

I've had the upgrade from the previous mac app store version. There is no noticeable change, though I will not bother with the subscription service for just a couple of macs, as I believe I could live with the touch ID on the next macs I get.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I've had the upgrade from the previous mac app store version. There is no noticeable change, though I will not bother with the subscription service for just a couple of macs, as I believe I could live with the touch ID on the next macs I get.
You don't need the subscription service in order to run multiple Macs and/or IOS devices. The standalone version is perfectly capable of doing that.

I have 3 Macs, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads myself and my wife has one Mac, 2 iPads and her iPhone. Our devices are in full sync with each other and on top of that, using Dropbox, we both have a shared vault between ourselves as well.

I fear that one of these days, 1Password will make this impossible and force people like me to the subscription model.

When that happens, I'll keep flogging the last remaining standalone version as long as I can, and when that fails, I'll look for an alternative to 1Password.

Reactions: Cobalt50

Predestinarian

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
You don't need the subscription service in order to run multiple Macs and/or IOS devices. The standalone version is perfectly capable of doing that.

I have 3 Macs, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads myself and my wife has one Mac, 2 iPads and her iPhone. Our devices are in full sync with each other and on top of that, using Dropbox, we both have a shared vault between ourselves as well.

I fear that one of these days, 1Password will make this impossible and force people like me to the subscription model.

When that happens, I'll keep flogging the last remaining standalone version as long as I can, and when that fails, I'll look for an alternative to 1Password.
Yup, I will never switch to subscription model. I hope they always sell a stand-alone.

SLSWE

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2013
I can't even remember the last time an app or service sold that made me not want to move to a different product.

To a VC, the most valuable thing is number of users and can it make them their money back. Typically through a sale.

To us, the most valuable thing is helping people be more secure online.

I would hope you'd actually want what we provide and not the cheapest solution that might be sold out from under you next year. You're the product being sold in that case, not the customer. Other companies buy the VC backed company for the users or the talent, not the product.

I was just kidding about how some of your previous answers sounded like that, I wasn't (meant to) implying that a VC would be a better way.

As I said, I like the product as a whole but as an iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro user (all Apple) it is hard to justify the cost of your application with how little extra it adds over Keychain.

Wish you all the best though! And as some of the others here said, nice to have a representative (kind of) replying on the forum.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Stand alone's here. Never sub.

Anyone on the subscription base having issues today? AWS having huge issues at there N. Virginia data centers.
1Password uses AWS for the sub. model.

AWS Health Dashboard https://status.aws.amazon.com/

http://venturebeat.com/2017/02/28/aws-is-investigating-s3-issues-affecting-quora-slack-trello/

Apple uses them too and they have stuff down also. This is no different if you use Dropbox to sync and they go down, and they have. I'm having issues with Dropbox today, do this use AWS?

flyingspur

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Dallas TX
Apple uses them too and they have stuff down also. This is no different if you use Dropbox to sync and they go down, and they have. I'm having issues with Dropbox today, do this use AWS?

Dropbox was migrating to there own, not sure if they have completed that.

This AWS issue is pretty exceptional today.

https://twitter.com/ylastic

We're not experiencing problems, but we are redundant across multiple zones and providers.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I was just kidding about how some of your previous answers sounded like that, I wasn't (meant to) implying that a VC would be a better way.

As I said, I like the product as a whole but as an iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro user (all Apple) it is hard to justify the cost of your application with how little extra it adds over Keychain.

Wish you all the best though! And as some of the others here said, nice to have a representative (kind of) replying on the forum.
How little extra it adds over keychain? The one thing I hate about the keychain is searching for a password to type (if I'm on a different computer and I need the password). 1Password also saved all the network settings, license, reward program stuff, and other things. I even have pins in it for the garage and to the office alarm system (along with the emergency info for the alarm system).

1Password also tells you how old a password is, tells you duplicates, and weak passwords. They also have a system called Watchtower that tells you if any issues. It actually tells you that you need to change a password because of something (data breach). The world we live in, there are data breaches everyday, and it's nice to have a program that tells you if you're affected or not.

You really can't compare the 2. The one thing I dislike about keychain, you set up a new devise, and you put the wrong info, it deletes everything. I've done it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I get that the new pricing model is not for everyone. What amazes me, is that so many Mac users here will spend $2,000.00 + on a Mac, not to mention other Apple devices, and still complain about a $36.00 non-mandatory subscription model.

Like many here, I am enjoy a great product as well as a great bargain. I do what I can to take advantage of both as much as I can. At the same time, I realize, that developers, and those who work hard at companies like 1Password have bills too. Every day the fine folks at 1Password work hard to bring us the best products they can. And in my opinion, they have done a terrific job. 1Password has been very open and honest about their product and business direction over the years. They haven't tried to shock people without warning or be deceitful in any way that I have observed.

For those here with jobs, do you not expect to be paid for your hard work and loyalty to the company, or would you prefer to work for free after the first year's salary? I doubt many of you would work for free. However, what you do want, is to be properly recognized and compensated for your services. Is it so wrong, that 1Password is seeking to stay competitive by continuing to produce excellent products, while at the same time, make sure that they can pay the staff for the same kind of service that they are and have been providing the company?

Many of your here make a point to support MR financially, whether directly or indirectly, by allowing ads to be viewed etc. MacRumors does a very good job of providing us all a service in many different ways. I agree with supporting people and groups etc., that are of like mind and provide a quality service that I actively partake of (MacRumors being one). Why should 1Password be any different?

Buying a product that is continually updated to meet changing technology and the needs and desires of consumers, while expecting said product to be forever free (just because) is rather unrealistic, selfish and petty, in my opinion. If many here disagree with me, that is fine. I am not going to get into a debate contest with every single person.

Take some time to think about this situation without emotion, that can cause one to have a 'knee-jerk reaction' that normally isn't a part of one's day to day ongoings.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
What amazes me, is that so many Mac users here will spend $2,000.00 + on a Mac, not to mention other Apple devices, and still complain about a $36.00 non-mandatory subscription model.

Part of the problem was that the "non-mandatory" bit is not evident from their website, esp. if you were a new customer or wanted to add a new platform.

...but these days that $2000 Mac should last for 5 years or longer (and/or when you upgrade you might be able to sell it for significant cash or 'pay it forward' by giving it away). So over that period you're actually talking about adding 10% to the cost of your Mac on the software that remembers your passwords. Also, there's an important perceptual difference between money you've saved up for a one-off purchase and money you're 'committing' to spend in the future.

However, as I've already said, I don't think the cost is over the top for a quality bit of software that's receiving continual updates. What's more concerning is the idea that your software collection will turn into a pumpkin overnight if you stop paying the subscription because of financial difficulties, if the developer stops trading or if they "improve" the software by removing features (less is more - didn't you get the memo?) and force the update on you. (Maybe AgileBits can be trusted not to be jerks, but they can't promise immortality)

I think the enthusiasm for subscriptions is payback for the way app stores drove software prices down to unsustainable levels a few years back. It'll be interesting to see what happens to other ridiculously cheap bits of software in the future (I'm thinking of things like Affinity and Pixelmator).

SLSWE

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2013
How little extra it adds over keychain? The one thing I hate about the keychain is searching for a password to type (if I'm on a different computer and I need the password). 1Password also saved all the network settings, license, reward program stuff, and other things. I even have pins in it for the garage and to the office alarm system (along with the emergency info for the alarm system).

1Password also tells you how old a password is, tells you duplicates, and weak passwords. They also have a system called Watchtower that tells you if any issues. It actually tells you that you need to change a password because of something (data breach). The world we live in, there are data breaches everyday, and it's nice to have a program that tells you if you're affected or not.

You really can't compare the 2. The one thing I dislike about keychain, you set up a new devise, and you put the wrong info, it deletes everything. I've done it.

I have all unique passwords so no need to look for duplicates and two factor authentication on everything important so not too worried about breaches. And it takes a few seconds to open up the password list on my phone, it won't be much quicker to open up the app. All computers I use are logged in on the same Apple-ID anyway so I rarely use it. iCloud save network settings over devices too.

So the only things woulds be pins and some other small stuff basically and for that you can just use a password protected note. I agree that it offers a few benefits but at the price point it is not even close to be worth it.

The biggest thing I have against subscriptions is that one in itself isn't that bad but it adds up to a LOT when you count them all. I have about $500 per month now in subscriptions (apps, streaming etc) so I try to limit it as much as possible.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
<Snipped>
Thanks for the feedback, but as I've suggested elsewhere in this thread, you can still buy 1Password licenses. They just aren't a focus for us.
<Snipped>
While I appreciate your honesty, I don't think it is fair to sell full priced standalone versions of the software to customers when it is no longer your focus.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have all unique passwords so no need to look for duplicates and two factor authentication on everything important so not too worried about breaches. And it takes a few seconds to open up the password list on my phone, it won't be much quicker to open up the app. All computers I use are logged in on the same Apple-ID anyway so I rarely use it. iCloud save network settings over devices too.

So the only things woulds be pins and some other small stuff basically and for that you can just use a password protected note. I agree that it offers a few benefits but at the price point it is not even close to be worth it.

The biggest thing I have against subscriptions is that one in itself isn't that bad but it adds up to a LOT when you count them all. I have about $500 per month now in subscriptions (apps, streaming etc) so I try to limit it as much as possible.
iCloud doesn't save all the network settings. I have guest network name and password, custom DNS settings saved, the password to get into the storage connected to the router, and other stuff.

As I remember, iCloud will sync it the network password only, but you can't retrieve it or look at it (if you need to have an non-Apple product on your network). I used iCloud Keychain for a year and my biggest issue was going though the whole list looking for a password, there is no organization at all. With 1Password, I just put a name of the site in the search and in less than a second or 2, I have it. I don't use Macs at work, I don't have iCloud on it, so I have to access my phone to get the passwords. Even if I did have a Mac at work, I wouldn't sync my personal stuff at work.

As for pins in a secured note, I just like having all password and pins on one spot.

You can also get get a license for $64 (I think that was the price) and no subscription needed. I bought get it and it's been almost 3 years and still they haven charged for an update.

SLSWE

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2013
I used iCloud Keychain for a year and my biggest issue was going though the whole list looking for a password, there is no organization at all. With 1Password, I just put a name of the site in the search and in less than a second or 2, I have it.

There is a search box in Keychain too that filters it down for every character typed.

But with that said, great that it works for you. But our use cases for the app is totally different and for me it adds basically nothing worth the cost.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well, so it is time to move to KeyPass. 36$ a year for a password manager? Rather insane.
Three dollars a month is insane? It doesn't strike me as insane. In fact it strikes me as a very good price. And as Kyle said, the stand alone version is still available.

What if your boss came to you tomorrow and said, "I have been thinking it over, and charging people once a year to use our product(s) is insane. What I have decided to do, is continue to make our products available to people, making sure they are constantly updated and improved. To that end, I wanted to let you and others know, that from this moment, you, and others in your group will no longer get promotions or raises. You will also be required to work longer hours so that we can continue to make our products the best they can be..."

How would you feel if your boss said such to you and others?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Three dollars a month is insane? It doesn't strike me as insane. In fact it strikes me as a very good price. And as Kyle said, the stand alone version is still available.

What if your boss came to you tomorrow and said, "I have been thinking it over, and charging people once a year to use our product(s) is insane. What I have decided to do, is continue to make our products available to people, making sure they are constantly updated and improved. To that end, I wanted to let you and others know, that from this moment, you, and others in your group will no longer get promotions or raises. You will also be required to work longer hours so that we can continue to make our products the best they can be..."

Just stop with the analogies. I leave it to your opinion whether the price is ‘insane’ or not, but this is a significant price increase for existing customers, with little to no added value in addition to what they had before (assuming you are not planning to use the web storage, like myself).

If you bought 1Password, say, last week, you would have paid $75 for iOS/macOS, now you are paying roughly half of this amount for just one year. If you bought 1Password during one of the not so rare sales in the not so distant past, often with generous 40–50% rebates, then the spike becomes even more obvious. 1Password is now one of the most expensive password managers available, just a few US Dollars shy of Dashlane.

The response is predictable, AgileBits has cultivated a customer base that enjoyed an exorbitant value for money, ostensibly undervaluing their product for many years. This new pricing scheme feels abrupt and disproportionate.

I think people are well advised to have a good look at the competition, particularly if they used 1Password many years and never bothered to look elsewhere. There are decent alternatives out there, not all of them requiring subscriptions and many being quite cheaper.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum

The amount is just to high in comparison - for 10 bucks a months I get full hd netflix, a third of that for a programm that only slightly improves on Keychain? Sorry but that's no good value.

And for the job market - we germans have included inflation no raise in over 20 years, for many it's after inflation even less then 20 years ago - so bosses say exactly that... But perhaps amercians just like paying insane prices - Do I have to spell 100$ and more for a mobile plan that even in mobile expensive germany is below 30€?

Reactions: shinji

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I get that the new pricing model is not for everyone. What amazes me, is that so many Mac users here will spend $2,000.00 + on a Mac, not to mention other Apple devices, and still complain about a $36.00 non-mandatory subscription model.
What I dislike about the subscription model is the idea that I'm being forced onto a payment treadmill. Sure, I usually end up buying each upgrade anyway, and I am lucky enough to have a good job and savings such that I am not "living paycheck to paycheck," but I don't like the idea that I'd lose functionality of software I really depend on if I could no longer afford the subscription fee. By comparison, one-time purchases give me the choice of when to make the upgrade purchase. If my financial situation changes, I could always squeeze out more years from my Mac, or keep using outdated software, and then make the upgrade purchase when it is financially more comfortable to do so (and if I felt that it was worthwhile). With a subscription model, you have a specific date to pay up on, and that's it. You're also paying regardless of whether the latest updates and features are useful to you or not.

I am not in the software business, so I can't say whether subscriptions are required to remain in business or not. If 1Password became subscription-only I'd be displeased, but it's such great software and such an important part of my daily computing that I'd probably buy the subscription. I'd definitely be a lot more open to alternatives at that point, but if it's what they'd need to do in order to keep the company and product going, then I'd say that they should do it.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
The worst case for me as a user who paid for software is that an update renders it useless because after the update it asks me to pay again...

I understand this doesn't happen here. So I can update my paid version to 6.6 and all is good. I see no difference. Just hope it stays this way also when a version 7 comes around.

If then a payment is required a version 6 user should not see the update in the Mac App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.