Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I suspect it s something to do with the Intel chip. Apple made a mistake going with Intel. Intel must have buttered up Tim Cook. Apple should get off the Intel train, and take control.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Ok, this bug has hit me and had me wondering what's happening until I read this post - iPhone 7 black iOS 10.0.1.

Landed in SIN in the early hours and was able to log onto a local carrier as the plane parked at the gate, then it dropped out and I could no longer sign onto any of the carriers using Automatic or Manual selection modes. Tried reboot, re-insert SIM, alternate SIMs (all needed roaming), none worked. Suspect I'll need to try a reset and re-install after I get to TPE when I have much more time in a hotel to go through the process. I need my iPhone 7 to work!!! Fortunately there's Wifi to support comm needs here in Changi airport.

Apple, hurry up!

Update:

After trying all sorts short of a restore, I continued my journey to TPE. Upon landing and turning off Airplane Mode, my home SIM found and locked onto a local carrier in roaming mode. I dared not play with the carrier selection and left it. Went to a cell provider counter at the airport and bought a local prepaid SIM, inserted and all good. Calling and surfing in 4G. So the problem seemed to have resolved spontaneously when it roamed to another geographic location. No ideas if this will translate for others. Otherwise my trip has been saved.

Last edited:

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
I suspect it s something to do with the Intel chip. Apple made a mistake going with Intel. Intel must have buttered up Tim Cook. Apple should get off the Intel train, and take control.

I thought I had read that the Verizon phones were Qualcomm. I have a Verizon 7 Plus and am having service cut out.

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
I would have to agree, it may be more prevalent on the Intel chips but it is also occurring on Verizon phone although seems to be more random than what is being reported with the ATT phones.

I have a Verizon phone and since day one I'll get No Service randomly. Rebooting seems to fix it for anywhere between 4 and 12 hours. I am planning on going to the Apple store but don't have the time at the moment. Anyone else with Verizon phone have any luck with Apple?

-Neal

Reactions: rneglia

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
While I get what you're saying, can we admit to the fact that my phone losing service until there is user intervention isn't really a small bug people are blowing out of proportion. Pretty sure if your phone wasn't functioning as, you know, a phone. You wouldn't think it was being blown out of proportion.

I get you are frustrated, as I would be and I agree 100% the bug needs fixed ASAP, but the fact is it is still only impacting an extremely small percentage of phones. My comment saying blown out of proportion is in relation to the fact that all phones have issues like this in a small percentage of released models, but the Apple ones always get headline news despite the extremely small number of phones actually experiencing the issue. Hopefully it gets fixed quickly.

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
I can report the issue in Australia on my iPhone 7 256GB.

For the last 48 hours the phone keeps dropping calls and going in and out of service. Even when service is detected its with 2G, when on 3G or 4G it just won't connect with data nor calls.

I've tried restarting, resetting network settings with no luck. I'm on the phone with Apple support and I get the feeling he has heard the issue before; when I asked if he has heard about the issue with other customers he was very vague and is now escalating the issue with a senior support person.

Reactions: daviddth

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
My little battered iPhone 5 has started giving me "no service" warnings too.

Maybe a carrier update did it or iOS10. Reboot the phone and all is well again. This only started happening in the last 4 weeks, has happened 3 times to me so far.

Keerock

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
That's the kind of thinking I would expect from Microsoft - sell it first, fix it later with a service patch. Since when has the bar been set so low for Apple that we can pay upwards of $900 for a device and not expect it to work right? It should work right out of the box. That's why we buy Apple products and spend a premium amount for them. What happened to "It Just Works!" (hope you are listening Apple - Man! I miss Steve Jobs!)

You make one excellent point, one poor one.

1) You are right, if the company used "It Just Works" as an unofficial slogan (no longer by the way) it should really be as close to flawless as possible and I would say we are not there. But Apple abandoned that slogan a long time ago.

2) Product launches under Steve Jobs were sometime VERY buggy and sometimes poor quality. Do you remember OS X early releases? The original iMacs, original iPods? original iPhone? iPad? I believe the reason why we tolerated some of the glitches and poor quality at times (yellow screens, anyone?) was that each of the above was truly groundbreaking. We were so in awe of these new category creators that we tolerated the bad stuff. We knew we were all being first adopters and could put up with it as long as we were breaking new ground.

3) Now for combining your thoughts. You are right, these current batch of iPhone should "... Just Work". Why, because they are NOT ground breaking and they are certainly not creating a new product category. They are iterations of a smartphone first released 2 years ago.

That said, if the world were more sane and returned to launching models every few years, all companies (including Samsung) would release better quality products. That's just common sense. But we all expect something new every year or even every few months and we are getting what we deserve.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Interesting to note, I had my device on Airplane mode the other day, and actually received a call! When I answered it, all I got on the other end was a bunch of electronic noises. So Airplane mode means offline or something else exactly?

Did you have wifi on and have wifi calling enabled? Airplane mode doesn't restrict wifi, just LTE/3G/Edge/Voice type signals. So you would still receive calls if you have wifi calling enabled.

The electronic noises probably just was a connection issue or a fax machine calling you from 1996.

middleseat

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Okay, I seem to have found something that FIXES this issue. I changed the setting for LTE to "Data Only" and I haven't had the issue all day today.

Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Enable LTE -> Data Only

Hope this helps everyone else with this problem!

Last edited:

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Update to my earlier post #153:

After trying all sorts short of a restore, I continued my journey to TPE. Upon landing and turning off Airplane Mode, my home SIM found and locked onto a local carrier in roaming mode. I dared not play with the carrier selection and left it. Went to a cell provider counter at the airport and bought a local prepaid SIM, inserted and all good. Calling and surfing in 4G. So the problem seemed to have resolved spontaneously when my iPhone 7 roamed to another geographic location. No ideas if this will translate for others. Otherwise my trip has been saved as I can't imagine how I'd cope without a phone on this work trip. Given the latest reports of the same happening on non-7 phones, maybe it's not a HW issue.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
So the problem seemed to have resolved spontaneously when my iPhone 7 roamed to another geographic location. No ideas if this will translate for others.

I've noticed that my issue doesn't happen when I'm home. it only happens at work, in a weaker signal area. however, my iPhone 6, in the same spot, NEVER had this issue. even on Friday before I even got my iPhone 7, at work it was working just fine. the issues happened once I started using the 7. its almost like the 7 has weaker reception out of the box, causing a lot of network issues on its own. out of curiosity, what carrier settings version are you using on the local carrier where you're at? I'm on Verizon 25.1 which is giving me the issues.

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
I came back from the Apple Store, they immediately acknowledged that something was off and replaced my iPhone 7 with a new device.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
I came back from the Apple Store, they immediately acknowledged that something was off and replaced my iPhone 7 with a new device.
Hopefully you wont encounter this fault again. I'm starting to wonder if the iPhone "shortage" we are seeing is because of a hardware fault found soon after release so they are holding back the faulty models and getting the repaired/redesigned phones through to customers ASAP

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
It wasn't an apologetic response... just setting the table for you.

Glaring omissions on purpose? It's called product cycles. Yeah, they leave somethings out because they want to and some because they have to.

Clearly I know the difference in water proofing and resistant. My point is that the Gen 1 Water Resistance is perfectly fine for me, AND I bet most people. Please show all the complaints about Water Resistance vs. Water Proof. In fact, you'll find out with a bit of research most folks were happily surprised with its apparent water proofing.

Also, have you ever thought that MANY of the features you define as being left out on purpose are simply technologies not yet ready to be used? Suppliers need to catch up? GPS is a perfect example, it required a larger battery but the components in Gen 1 were too large to allow for both. It needed a power efficient GPS supplier, none met Apple's specs until now. Now, as components mature into their 2nd or 3rd generations, they can be assembled together in the same size or even smaller form factors.

Frankly, I am happy when Apple brings a product to market before ever single technology is perfected. If that were the case we would be waiting a long time for everything. Also, I am not "investing" in these products, I'm "using" them.

You buy the right Apple products at the right time. Cripes, that is a pompous statement. I guess we need to follow your way, as it is the best way.

No more first gen for you, ever.

Your entire post is apologizing for Apple.

There's no need, for I don't care.

Also I thought that the "for me" in the statement "I buy the right Apple products at the right time" was implied.

But that's what happens when people defend without really listening.

The point I was making is simple:

Key features are usually left out of first-gen Apple products (for whatever reason you choose to believe).

Thus, if you don't want to be sucked into Apple's (artificial or not--depending on which side of the pom-pom fence you sit) upgrade cycle, the "S" products give you the best bang-for-your-buck, as it were.

No one is arguing against early-adopters' choices and their built-in consequences.
[doublepost=1474516078][/doublepost]
And what happens next year when people on the "S" cycle have the redesigned iPhone 8 on the menu?

They'll have to make a choice, like everyone else: Deal with first-gen issues, or wait.
[doublepost=1474516244][/doublepost]
But...believe it or not, the SW failed the HW...;)

Agreed. It seems like in this instance, it's a SW issue.

Still, it's a first-gen software issue (until Apple releases it's first point release).

Swazaloo

Cancelled
Jan 3, 2014
I have this bug also. Making a phone call seems to fix it. But restarting the phone or switching to airplane mode brings it back. It also seems to only happen when LTE is on.

Deeznuts.

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2015
Queens, NY
Same issue here. When I had my 6s, I always get LTE in the same places & now on my 7+, I get 3G and 1x, have to turn airplane mode on & off to get back LTE. Maybe Verizon needs to push a carrier update.

Edit: Updated to iOS 10.1 beta 1, still the same issue.

roderickv

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
3) Now for combining your thoughts. You are right, these current batch of iPhone should "... Just Work". Why, because they are NOT ground breaking and they are certainly not creating a new product category. They are iterations of a smartphone first released 2 years ago.

That said, if the world were more sane and returned to launching models every few years, all companies (including Samsung) would release better quality products. That's just common sense. But we all expect something new every year or even every few months and we are getting what we deserve.
Well said and I have to agree!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.