Carrier LTE Reception on Verizon 7 worse than 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morecowbell, Sep 19, 2016.

1. morecowbell macrumors member

Hi All,

I have a new 128gb Matte Black 7 on Verizon. Phone is great, love it so far. But I have noticed 3 things giving me pause.

1) I am not getting LTE reception in areas I used to have no issue in.
    2) When browsing on LTE the back of the phone gets hot
    3) I seem to have less bars than with the 6s, but cannot prove it.

I was kind of expecting the opposite with the new chip. Is anybody else noticing this?

2. UKFan643 macrumors regular

I've noticed the opposite. Much improved reception. Phone does get a little hot, but early reviewers said that would happen.

3. kenhagemann macrumors member

Had the same issue. In fact lost HD voice and lost data while on calls. The long and short was they had to replace my sim. Basically took my old sim and put in new 7s Plus which caused some registration issues with them. Went from a snails pace to over 80 Mbps in the D.C. Area. Took me no less than 3 hours to resolve with them.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

5. kmod75 macrumors newbie

kmod75

I've noticed something similar. 128gb Silver Verizon 7 Plus model. I bounce back and forth from LTE to 3G. Not normal in my area. Hoping it is software and not the modem.

6. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

@dictoresno is having a similar issue.
    Here's the thread that they started.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ne-unable-to-activate-network-issues.1997778/

Here's another thread about Verizon and iPhone 7 issues.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/verizon-iphone-7-loses-service.1997808/

7. SumYoungGai macrumors 6502a

This has been common on the verizon subreddit as well. Hopefully a carrier update will come out soon to fix it.

8. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Look at this link
    http://downdetector.com/status/verizon

9. newellj macrumors 601

2x 6 and 2x 7 here. No difference either way among the group. Can't speak to the 6S.

10. Odat macrumors newbie

Odat

I've actually noticed the opposite too. In the smoking area where I work, I barely ever got the internet on the 6s plus to work at all. Pages just time out on safari and apps never load.

Today is my full first day at work with the 7 plus and my phone has been working perfectly in the same area. Although it still shows 1 bar lte like the 6s plus, everything loads and works fast. I did a Speedtest and got 2.75mb/s down and about the same up. On the 6s, the Speedtest app wouldn't even load. I have AT&T by the way.

11. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

I've noticed this right away on mine. no scientific tests. but you also can't ignore the fact. even my SE had better signal/speeds than my 7 Plus. my 6s Plus definitely had a stronger signal. these slower speeds at home are painful. I've had to hotspot just to send email or load a web page.

12. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Ahhhhh another thread! Hopefully macrumors will write an article on this to make it we'll known!

13. morecowbell thread starter macrumors member

I also see it bouncing to 3G a lot

14. patrickbarnes macrumors regular

15. alee macrumors 6502

Yeah a lot of 3G bounce here in NYC... the iPhone 6s Plus in the same conditions stay solid on LTE. I'm seeing it drop to 3G and 1X frequently. This is with 2 different iPhone 7 Plus phones. Not an activation, SIM or other "easy fix" problem.

It's more like either a carrier update or a modem firmware update that's needed.

16. Rogo117 macrumors regular

Yup, same here. One of the iOS beta's (I think 4) had a similar issue. I was driving by LaGuardia listening to a radio station on AM and all of a sudden it cut out and I had no service.

17. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

I wonder if Apple removing the antenna bands from the back on the 7 took away reception. If so they should've put up with people calling them ugly.

18. alee macrumors 6502

Doubtful. Reception is one that they have taken a beating for, to the point it cost them money. They make plenty of questionable choices, but if anything they've over-engineered the antennas at this point. But all idle speculation. More important for them to recognize this is a problem for a fix to be offered.

19. Kahsheh macrumors regular

20. Joell27 macrumors member

Why'd you choose the 7plus over the 7?

21. mar12 macrumors member

22. sleepydinosaur macrumors regular

sleepydinosaur

Does this seem to specifically affect CDMA or just Verizon or...?

23. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

In another thread it was affecting a 3UK user too on gsm. Looks like a modem/hardware/software settings issue. Was also affecting T-Mobile users and they released a carrier settings update to fix it.

24. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

I've noticed more 3G/1x bouncing than I recall noticing on my 6s. Also, I walked into my home office in the back of the house while on a call yesterday and dropped the call, which has never happened before.