Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
The original monocrome 4th gen was released in July 2004. In October 2004 it was re-released with a color display and called "photo".

The models are:

M9282LL/A Click Wheel, 20GB Mac/PC Verison, B/W Screen
M9268LL/A Click Wheel, 40GB Mac/PC Verison, B/W Screen
M9787LL/A U2 Special Edition B/W Screen

PE435A HP iPod, Click Wheel, 20GB PC Verison, B/W Screen
PE436A HP iPod, Click Wheel, 40GB PC Verison, B/W Screen

MA079LL/A 20GB (Color)
MA127LL/A 20GB U2 Special Edition (Color)
MA215LL/A 20GB (Harry Potter Collector’s iPod with color display)
M9830LL/A 60GB (Color)
M9829LL/A 30GB (Photo)
M9585LL/A 40GB (Photo)
M9586LL/A 60GB (Photo/Oct-04)
M9830LL/A 60GB (Photo/Feb-05)

Apple also changed the sleeve to the box between October and November 2004.
Oh ok thanks:) out of all the models what would you say is the rarest?

Last edited:

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
The photo iPod is like a 4.5 gen if we are being technical lol. Only thing it added was a color screen and the abilities to look at photos but not video that cam in the 5th gen. Other then that it was practically the same. Back in the day most MP3 players only did music so it was a big deal. Now everything plays mp3s video and has a built in camera just look at the smartphone technology.

Ok thanks:)

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
The photo iPod is like a 4.5 gen if we are being technical lol. Only thing it added was a color screen and the abilities to look at photos but not video that cam in the 5th gen. Other then that it was practically the same.

They changed quite a couple of things on the inside. You might think that you can swab parts from the 4th monochrome over to the 4th photo, but in most cases this won't work. For example: Apple changed the headphone piece. The one of the 4th photo is a bit smaller. It also features a different capacitor in shape and size. The bottom piece (where you attach the 30 pin connector) is also slightly changed. The actual logicboard has different attachments for the display (obviously), the click wheel, and also the headphone piece. What stayed the same is the audio decoder. Apple changed it with the 5th generation and, again, with with 5.5th gen ipods.

However, I guess nobody of you collectors opened them and looked inside. :eek::D I did, because I love using them.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
They changed quite a couple of things on the inside. You might think that you can swab parts from the 4th monochrome over to the 4th photo, but in most cases this won't work. For example: Apple changed the headphone piece. The one of the 4th photo is a bit smaller. It also features a different capacitor in shape and size. The bottom piece (where you attach the 30 pin connector) is also slightly changed. The actual logicboard has different attachments for the display (obviously), the click wheel, and also the headphone piece. What stayed the same is the audio decoder. Apple changed it with the 5th generation and, again, with with 5.5th gen ipods.

However, I guess nobody of you collectors opened them and looked inside. :eek::D I did, because I love using them.

I was talking about features guess I should have been more clear I am sorry seeing as I assumed the original question was asking about features I guess thats what I get for assuming lol

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Here's a good deal if anyone wants to go for it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 401

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Last edited:

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Did you miss my link above yours? Thats a REAL 1st gen and a really good deal :confused: Ah well...

Produced week 50 2002. Model number M8513LL/B. Second gen box. CLEARLY a second generation iPod.
Would get it my self if I didn't already have two 2nd gen complete and in mint condition. "Still sealed" is boring and to expensive :D

Oh I see I haven't compared the first gen and the 2nd gens boxes so I can't tell which ones which yet:p

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Oh I see I haven't compared the first gen and the 2nd gens boxes so I can't tell which ones which yet:p

Its easy really!

First gen sleeve says "iPod" with serif typeface. No hard drive size and no orange colored fields. If you look at the serial number it should say U2228XXXX. If the last two digits are greater than 28 its a second generation and the box should look like a second generation box. The purists also claim that all iPods produced after week 11 2002 are 1.5 generations :rolleyes:
The box interior is made out of white styrofoam.

1Gbox.png

A second gen sleeve says "iPod" with non-serif typeface. The box are white, gray and orange. You can see the HDD size on the box (5, 10, 20 gig) and if its for Mac or PC. Interior translucent plastic.

2Gbox.jpg

Here's a pic (not mine) of the first three generations if iPods and a mini ;)

ipod_boxes.jpg

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Its easy really!

First gen sleeve says "iPod" with serif typeface. No hard drive size and no orange colored fields. If you look at the serial number it should say U2228XXXX. If the last two digits are greater than 28 its a second generation and the box should look like a second generation box. The purists also claim that all iPods produced after week 11 2002 are 1.5 generations :rolleyes:
The box interior is made out of white styrofoam.

A second gen sleeve says "iPod" with non-serif typeface. The box are white, gray and orange. You can see the HDD size on the box (5, 10, 20 gig) and if its for Mac or PC. Interior translucent plastic.

Here's a pic (not mine) of the first three generations if iPods and a mini ;)

Oh now I can tell the difference :D very informative post thanks!

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
My small collection of sealed iPods/iPhones

-iPod 5.5 Gen 30GB Black
-iPod Nano 4th Gen 8GB Red
-iPod Nano 5th Gen 8GB Red
-iPod Touch 1st Gen 8GB
-iPhone 1st Gen 8GB

Plus many, many other used and faulty iPods that I refurbish and sell on eBay, mostly 5th, 6th and 7th Gen Classics

I also have a 240GB iPod Video 5.5 Gen, iPad 16GB WFi and an iPhone 5 32GB White :)

Attachments

• IMG_2634.JPG
    IMG_2634.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 219

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
I have a Harry Potter iPod in very good condition.

Won't be selling it though - Sorry

These are even rarer than the 1G.

I'm looking for the 2Gs that were engraved by Beck, Madonna, Tony Hawk

These are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find...

I'm also looking for the 2Gs that were engraved with Beck, Madonna, Tony Hawk and No Doubt. These ARE impossible to find! I haven't even seen a picture of one outside apple.com :(

Anyone else perhaps?

CarlisleUnited

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Nederland
Didn't they release an iPod Photo as a separate product that was sold with 30GB and 60GB capacities alongside the original iPod 4th gen monochrome and then at some later time (summer of 05 I think) they merged them in to one product line? My first iPod was a colour screen 4th gen with 20GB capacity so I know that it wasn't officially an iPod Photo

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Didn't they release an iPod Photo as a separate product that was sold with 30GB and 60GB capacities alongside the original iPod 4th gen monochrome and then at some later time (summer of 05 I think) they merged them in to one product line? My first iPod was a colour screen 4th gen with 20GB capacity so I know that it wasn't officially an iPod Photo

Yes, you are correct, but it was a 40GB and a 60GB model ;)

My list wasn't chronological...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.