Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Did you get lucky? I'm in Belgium and my white 2Ghz, 2gb macbook which I ordered one hour after it was released still hasn't been shipped... it's supposed to ship tomorrow and arrive on the 21st or 22nd, how awfully long that would be. The UK being rather close, I suppose that your dates are similar?
Well, good luck to you...

mines says shipping today, 13 Nov 2006, but am waiting for it to change status :(

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Mine just shipped, so it's one day earlier than it was supposed to :) ! I hope they'll hurry, waiting sucks...

Nov 8, 2006 at 02:58 PM GMT
View order details
Not yet shipped
Estimated Shipping: 13 Nov, 2006

Estimated Delivery: 22 Nov, 2006 - 23 Nov, 2006
Product Qty.
INCASE NEOPRENE BURGUNDY SLEEVE 13-USA
MB 13/2.0/2X512/80/SD-DL:WHITE-GBR

:(

KrossVader

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
If 8 days is causing you buyer's remorse, you may need to see a psychologist specializing in Mac upgrade disorders :p

dude. calm down. it was a joke. and besides nobody really knows if 8 more days will help with the back orders.

junkster

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
My order status:

MB 13/2.0 CTO: WHITE
Custom configured [which means 2GB instead of 1GB]
Ships by: Nov 13 - Nov 15
Delivers by: Nov 15 - Nov 22

I ordered it the evening of the day it was announced.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Fan Speed Minimum Increase Seems To Be The Implimented Solution

anyone know how did they solve the heat and RSS problems in MB. Did they just increase the fan speed or they change somethings inside.
RSS was a hardware cable in the wrong place mistake that was fixed months ago.

So far it's looking like a small fan speed minimum increase. But we dont really have details from anyone yet. Vents appear to be same so enclosure looks unchanged as far as I've read thus far. Looking like fan noise may be a problem as testified to by this post from Romulus:
The MBP has more vents and improved in design solving some heat issues... The MB does not show that... or at least as far as I can see, it is exactly the same design...

See my post #11 in the brand new Got your C2D macbook??? thread. Right now after previous stress on the system and return back to iddle for the last 15 minutes, temperature does not drop under 60C... Normally if I do not stress the system it will run at 51C... If used over a couple hours, average around 58... max temperature is at 72 so far, minimum at start was at 46... What do I mean by stress - very minimum - parallels, photoshop, and word, which for this processor should not be out of this world...

So, heat issue is not really there - the solution for it is bad... The way they dropped temperature was by making the fans run all the time... and really go in maximum boost at higher temperatures...

It sounds like I'm complaining here, but all I'm trying to do is figure if I can work with this... I do not have a choice, I want OS X and a small form factor. I wish they would have a 12"MBP or at least morse code vents around the system... whatever to actually decrease temperature by engineering design not by firmware...
See if this smcFanControl 1.2.2 can help keep the speed down. It's only 4 days old so give it a try. Anyone else have a different Fan Control Utility to suggest.

F.A.Q for smcFanControl 1.22

Apparently Lobotomo's Fan Control 1.1 is not C2D compatible yet.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
There Are TWO "Got your C2D MacBook?" Threads • Could We Agree On One Please?

Here are my details of my C2D MB.
Great so we have two completely different "Got your C2D MacBook?" threads.

One with a single quesion mark created in the Saturday morning 11.11.06 by Veteran CaptainCaveMan at 11:45AM another with 3 questions marks created later in the evening by newbie The Stig. Both new as of Saturday.

Could we agree on only one please?

I vote we go with the CAVE MAN's cause it started first and it only has one question mark like with real English.

The one with three quesion marks is longer.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Lol that's why my post is over there instead. I'll also add that this new MB is really temperature sensitive. Once I keep iTunes window and FireFox2 open, the temperature goes up to 147F. At the moment, I'm keeping the fans at 3500RPM to keep things cool while I'm on AC (hovering at 115F now with iTunes in mini mode) and the fans are pretty quiet.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Max The RAM And Your MacBook Will Run Cooler & Longer Per Battery Charge

Here are my details of my C2D MB:

6. It seems like the C2D can tolerate higher temperatures because the fans don't even kick in at 60C unless I tell it do so. Therefore the temperature is HOTTER than the CD at default fan speeds (I could be wrong b/c this new MB has 2GB RAM and the previous MB had 512MB RAM).
Here's a good point to remember:

If you have more RAM inside, the HD will run a lot less often, thus making the whole computer run much cooler for longer time on each battery charge. This is another reason to max out the ram to 2GB when you order it. If you don't buy Apple's RAM it will cost you more to change it form 1GB to 2GB later. Apple now has a completely competitive RAM pricing structure.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Here's a good point to remember:

If you have more RAM inside, the HD will run a lot less often, thus making the whole computer run much cooler for longer time on each battery charge. This is another reason to max out the ram to 2GB when you order it. If you don't buy Apple's RAM it will cost you more to change it form 1GB to 2GB later. Apple now has a completely competitive RAM pricing structure.
I was thinking about getting Apple RAM but I went to the Apple Store in Christiana Mall and they said they would shove in 2GB RAM for $350! They say internet and retail store prices are different for RAM so I installed my own RAM ($200) instead. :mad:

PS: I'm a kind of person that prefers to get computers at retail stores instead of ordering online. So technically I did save $150 in a retail store perspective. Plus I upgraded my 1 week CD MB to C2D MB for free because it had a dead right speaker.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Twice As Expensive RAM Upgrade In An Apple Store!? That Sounds Insane!

I was thinking about getting Apple RAM but I went to the Apple Store in Christiana Mall and they said they would shove in 2GB RAM for $350! They say internet and retail store prices are different for RAM
That blows. I don't think that's right. Anyone else have that experience? $175 Vs. $350 is an insane difference.
so I installed my own RAM ($200) instead. :mad:

PS: I'm a kind of person that prefers to get computers at retail stores instead of ordering online. So technically I did save $150 in a retail store perspective. Plus I upgraded my 1 week CD MB to C2D MB for free because it had a dead right speaker.

marcos24

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
That blows. I don't think that's right. Anyone else have that experience? $175 Vs. $350 is an insane difference.

That's quite right -- they install memory in-store but they ask for $350. It's like you buy extra memory from Apple!! It's not fair, especially since they should stock some systems with extra memory and some with extra HDD because that's what people always want. I understand that the costs by not having these options ready-made in store may be lower (especially in inventory) but I think that the extra costs could be offset by larger volumes of sales.

Anyway, could someone give me a nice link for an HDD upgrade :eek: ? I am making the total shift to Mac platform and I will start with a Macbook white + 2Gb Ram + Aperture (later I will buy a replacement harddrive).

Thank you,
marcos24

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
need more ram

I bought my blackbook from Christiana Mall too, last week, to save on sales tax. I used my educational discount - so in addition to saved tax I saved $100... to a total of about $180.

But it looks like I'm going to have to spend that saved money just to upgrade my 1GB RAM to 2GB - and wasting my 2 512 MB sticks in the process... Dam that sux!! Had I known about the online upgrades and how cost effective it is, I might've gone that route... though I wouldn't be writing on my brand new blackbook on a "borrowed" wifi line now if I hadn't, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
I bought my blackbook from Christiana Mall too, last week, to save on sales tax. I used my educational discount - so in addition to saved tax I saved $100... to a total of about $180.

But it looks like I'm going to have to spend that saved money just to upgrade my 1GB RAM to 2GB - and wasting my 2 512 MB sticks in the process... Dam that sux!! Had I known about the online upgrades and how cost effective it is, I might've gone that route... though I wouldn't be writing on my brand new blackbook on a "borrowed" wifi line now if I hadn't, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Got it from Christiana too... even though I felt like the people working there were totally unprofessional and not too smart...

RAM - go with Newegg and then e-bay your 1Gb... That's what I'm doing...

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
See http://www.topicpoint.com/2006/11/review_macbook_core_2_duo_c2d.html#more

from somebody on this forum https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/251226/

It seems fan noise is a problem and I'm gonna call Apple Care... I'm pretty sure I'm probably gonna get the standard reply - some fan noise is normal, a computer must be cooled down etc... I'm still not sure how I feel about this whole thing, and want to see if my experience is unique, or if it is a common problem...

I have looked at the fan control options. See this article: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...re-of-apple-macbook-macbook-pro-and-mac-mini/

and went with Lobotomo's fan control which gives you better adjustment across the field - I set base speed at 2200, lower threshold at 55C and upper at 80C (basically that's a linear curve with 2200 at 55 and maximum fan speed at 80). It seems that the macbook is running cooler for longer time, but I did not follow the fans as today I have been in a loud environment. It seems the macbook is running about 5-10C cooler. I'm not sure though, because at 53C right now the fan is actually at 2303 which is above my set baseline, suggesting that apple actually has set the baseline above that number.

Still, I cannot believe Apple could not spend some better money on super quiet fans available on the market...

Can we change the fans ourselves if apple does not do anything about it?

Another hypothesis I've considered would be the Rosetta performance. I don't know about most people, but I run multiple instances of microsoft office applications. At 1Gb of space, I'm running out of RAM, so the 2Gb that are supposed to come today maybe helpful. I'm also hoping that that would also drop the overall temperature and strain on the processor, decreasing the chance for fans coming on...

By the way, this is not unlike the initial Macbook CD production (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars/4)

Any sugestions of what I should discuss with Apple Care specifically?

faroukabad

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
I ordered the 2 ghz white with 2gb memory last Wed. at lunchtime, I finally got my ship notification today, it was shipped from Suzhou China and was in Alaska by noon today. I noticed some people's were shipping from Shanghai as well. Are these places where the different factories are?

I hope it gets here in a couple of days.

ironring2006

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I ordered the 2 ghz white with 2gb memory last Wed. at lunchtime, I finally got my ship notification today, it was shipped from Suzhou China and was in Alaska by noon today. I noticed some people's were shipping from Shanghai as well. Are these places where the different factories are?

I hope it gets here in a couple of days.
From what I could find, the factories in China are the only ones that assemble the products. Apple has contracts with other companies to manufacture their parts in China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and Singapore, but they all get assembled in China.

I think there's a few others following this thread that are on the same shipment as you, myself included! My FedEx tracking is showing delivery by Thursday, but I think I've got a couple extra hops since I'm not really in a major city.

brandonh

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2006
My Macbook was in ANCHORAGE, AK on Nov 10 and in MEMPHIS, TN on Nov 11. The estimated delivery date is Nov 14... that's today!!! Hope it's on time!

I'm in Ottawa, Ontario (in Canada!).

I already have 2GB of Mushkin memory ready to install!!

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Just got my UK order status updated.

Your order was shipped on 14.11.2006, and we expect your order to be delivered to your shipping address on or before 24.11.2006. :eek:

willthiessen

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
Virgil, ON, Canada
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Here's what I ordered:

Blackbook, 2GB, 2GHz, 120GB

It's supposed to ship by tomorrow, but I haven't seen the status change anything yet. (checking hourly :p)
I live in Southern Ontario, near Niagara Falls.

Looking forward to my first Mac!

Will

mauly

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2003
Manchester, England
I ordered a white MacBoook 2.0Ghz 1GB 80GB SD-DL on the 12th, its est ship date was the 16th... but its just been shiped on the 14th!! :)

Estimated Delivery Date, 20 Nov 2006.

junkster

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
My order status:

MB 13/2.0 CTO: WHITE
Custom configured [which means 2GB instead of 1GB]
Ships by: Nov 13 - Nov 15
Delivers by: Nov 15 - Nov 22

I ordered it the evening of the day it was announced.

I just saw that this finally shipped today, November 14. Yay! I'm surprised to see it coming directly from China. Apple doesn't have these in the US yet?

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
I ordered a white MacBoook 2.0Ghz 1GB 80GB SD-DL on the 12th, its est ship date was the 16th... but its just been shiped on the 14th!! :)

Estimated Delivery Date, 20 Nov 2006.

How come you mancs are getting them before us? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.