Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in GoodPlayer Version 2.8
1. UPnP/DLNA support added
2. AirPlay support added (Note:eek:nly for iPod plugin playback mode)
3. HTTP streaming buffer size increased
4. French translation improved. Thanks Nicolas.
5. UPnP/DLNA servers tested so far:
# PS3 Media Server
# EyeConnect UPnP AV Media Streaming Software
# Windows Media Player 11 on Windows 7
# Playback UPnP Server by YAZSOFT
6. More about AirPlay:
# AirPlay Video&Audio only supported in iPod plugin playback mode (GoodPlayer-->Settings-->Plugin Setting-->iPod, Turn on "iPod"),and also please note that iPod plugin is for local playback only.
# AirPlay Audio-only supported on all native playback, however if the media file comes with video, the video is still played back locally on iOS device; and also please note that the AirPlay will introduce extra audio delay for GoodPlayer native playback mode

GoodPlayer 2.8 released, UPnP/DLNA/AirPlay support added
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodplayer-movie-player-downloader/id416756729?mt=8

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Great update. UPnP/DLNA works well and is preferred over SMB for devices that support it - my WD Worldbook NAS with Twonky media server runs great.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Enjoy it and thanks for the feedback.
It seems another user also said Twonky media server works.

Great update. UPnP/DLNA works well and is preferred over SMB for devices that support it - my WD Worldbook NAS with Twonky media server runs great.

ps89

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Subtitles

Hello. I've just purchased GoodPlayer and I have to say it's really good.

I have a question. I always stream video files from my desktop through Windows Share. Most of the time these video files have a separate subtitle files (usually .srt or .sub). When I stream those video files, I notice that the subtitles are not loaded. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer only supports local srt/sub subtitle now. It doest not support srt/sub subtitle over smb/http streaming. We will try to add this support in the future.

Hello. I've just purchased GoodPlayer and I have to say it's really good.

I have a question. I always stream video files from my desktop through Windows Share. Most of the time these video files have a separate subtitle files (usually .srt or .sub). When I stream those video files, I notice that the subtitles are not loaded. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

ps89

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks a lot for your reply. One of the reasons I got this app is due to the good support you've been providing. :)

Yeah. I'm really looking forward to this feature as it's very useful for a streaming person like me. :D

iDario

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
How I can share my mac's folders with GoodPlayer? I don't want to use http/ftp but smb or afp. If I share on mac with smb, the GoodPlayer don't display any folders... :confused:

Thanks

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
We tested snow leopard Smb support here, it was okay. Please note that Lion OS Smb is not supported.
If you make sure related information is correct , reboot the iPhone and test again. And also make sure there is no space in your Smb username.

How I can share my mac's folders with GoodPlayer? I don't want to use http/ftp but smb or afp. If I share on mac with smb, the GoodPlayer don't display any folders... :confused:

Thanks

iDario

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
We tested snow leopard Smb support here, it was okay. Please note that Lion OS Smb is not supported.
If you make sure related information is correct , reboot the iPhone and test again. And also make sure there is no space in your Smb username.

ah ok, i have lion... but in future will work also with lion?

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
For your information, we just tested the current GoodPlayer with
AirPort Disk. The current GoodPlayer already supports the AirPort
Disk.
1. AirPort Disk is actually a SMB server
2. Find the IP address of the AirPort Extreme, it is the IP address of
the AirPort Disk SMB server
3. Add the SMB server to the GoodPlayer SMB server list, then the
AirPort Disk can be accessed from GoodPlayer directly.

The latest GoodPlayer is 2.8 on App Store.

ciberkarlos

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
Full Air Play support?

Are there plans to improve the current AirPlay support in future updates? I mean, it could be possible to watch all the videos i have on GoodPlayer on my Apple TV 2 via AirPlay? At this moment, full AirPlay (audio+video) is only available for quicktime videos, isn't it?

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
The limitation on AirPlay is mainly because of the official API. If there is change on the official API, we would like to improve it. There are rumors that iOS 5 has some changes, let us wait and see.
And yes, now full AirPlay (audio+video) is only available for QuickTime videos(mp4,m4v,mov...)

Are there plans to improve the current AirPlay support in future updates? I mean, it could be possible to watch all the videos i have on GoodPlayer on my Apple TV 2 via AirPlay? At this moment, full AirPlay (audio+video) is only available for quicktime videos, isn't it?

ciberkarlos

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
The limitation on AirPlay is mainly because of the official API. If there is change on the official API, we would like to improve it. There are rumors that iOS 5 has some changes, let us wait and see.
And yes, now full AirPlay (audio+video) is only available for QuickTime videos(mp4,m4v,mov...)

Then, i hope that iOS 5 could allow this totally needed feature. However, why AirVideo can airplay videos+audio to Apple TV? Is because the videos are on a server on the computer, and not in the iPad memory?

Thanks!

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Airvideo re-encodes the files to mp4 compatible stream on the server side, so it is okay for AirPlay.
Then, i hope that iOS 5 could allow this totally needed feature. However, why AirVideo can airplay videos+audio to Apple TV? Is because the videos are on a server on the computer, and not in the iPad memory?

Thanks!

redoptick

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Playing downloaded and streaming files & file manager UI

Hi,

I have bought every media playing app available on the app store. Yours outshines them all.

3 possibly easy to implement things to make it even better:

1. Adjustable buffer size and buffeting on pause for streaming video. Would fix the constant pauses I get when the network is loaded.
2. Easier playback of downloaded video. It was only by reading this entire thread that I discovered using the goodplayer:// URL to play back downloaded files. Why can't they just show up ready to play in the main file manager?
3. Reverse the file manager behaviour so that it's the same as every other app. Click the row for selection and execution, select blue arrow for editing and settings. This convention is the standard, and someone has raised it before on this thread. It's disorientating as it is now.

This plus put.io is just amazing. Thanks guys.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
1. We have plans to add buffer size settings
2. Just go to main window you can play the downloaded file already. Make sure the file extention is supported by GoodPlayer, or else you need to change it first in file manager. And press media library will help navigate to the download folder and play the file. Maybe the file extension caused your issue.
3. Okay, we will consider to change it
Hi,

I have bought every media playing app available on the app store. Yours outshines them all.

3 possibly easy to implement things to make it even better:

1. Adjustable buffer size and buffeting on pause for streaming video. Would fix the constant pauses I get when the network is loaded.
2. Easier playback of downloaded video. It was only by reading this entire thread that I discovered using the goodplayer:// URL to play back downloaded files. Why can't they just show up ready to play in the main file manager?
3. Reverse the file manager behaviour so that it's the same as every other app. Click the row for selection and execution, select blue arrow for editing and settings. This convention is the standard, and someone has raised it before on this thread. It's disorientating as it is now.

This plus put.io is just amazing. Thanks guys.

gerryipad2

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
I have recently bought an iPad2. I'd like to upload my AVCHD videos directly from my SDcard to my iPad. At the moment, the iPad doesn't recognize the files. However, would this app be able to download the MTS. files directly from the SD card to the iPad and play directly from the app? I would sincerely appreciare if yuo can advice me on this. Thank you very much

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
1. Mts files maybe have resolution over 720p, so iPad 2 should have problem play MTs over 720p
2. For sdcard , it is not allowed by official API to read USB disk directly on iOS. However , if the iOS device is jailbroken, and you know how to use unix symbolic link command, it's possible to read USB media in GoodPlayer.

I have recently bought an iPad2. I'd like to upload my AVCHD videos directly from my SDcard to my iPad. At the moment, the iPad doesn't recognize the files. However, would this app be able to download the MTS. files directly from the SD card to the iPad and play directly from the app? I would sincerely appreciare if yuo can advice me on this. Thank you very much

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer upgraded to 2.9 version.*
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodplayer-movie-player-downloader/id416756729?ls=1&mt=8

What is new in GoodPlayer version 2.9
1 *Fix some SHOUTcast streaming servers AAC audio no sound issue
2 .mod file format support added, this video file format used on many
digital camcorders, such as the JVC Everio camcorder
3 .amr and .eac3 file formats support added
4 *Inbox folder file name handling improved when the iTunes Sync is off

gerryipad2

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
1. Mts files maybe have resolution over 720p, so iPad 2 should have problem play MTs over 720p
2. For sdcard , it is not allowed by official API to read USB disk directly on iOS. However , if the iOS device is jailbroken, and you know how to use unix symbolic link command, it's possible to read USB media in GoodPlayer.

Thanks hustmobile. Appreciate your advice

mcrobrya

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Streaming from dlna devices

Hi everyone, good player is indeed a good app but I'm struggling to stream movies from my networkspace2 NAS drive. How do I access my NAS drive through my goodplayer?

----------

Hi everyone, good player is indeed a good app but I'm struggling to stream movies from my networkspace2 NAS drive. How do I access my NAS drive through goodplayer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.