Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Sigh. Still no fix for the (admittedly cosmetic) bad animation glitch on the 7 Plus when invoking the app switcher via home button from almost any app but springboard. It's on file with Apple as submitted multiple times (my radar was closed as a duplicate).

It's funny. While Apple can be commended for pushing forward with accelerated graphics for their user interfaces years ahead of their competition they've often been plagued with one form or another of odd frame buffer issues that result in these graphical glitches.

And using that term "glitch" would be more appropriate than a "bug" since it's a a momentary lapse in fluidity of the animation. It's honestly barely noticeable to the vast majority of the population and even then a trained eye would need to do an A/B comparison to see it in action. I am impressed that it is something you notice though.

If it interests you you'll find the same graphical glitches on MacOS dating back to OS 10's early days. The problem usually lies with the implementation of the frame buffer in the Quartz accelerated graphics code. This is basically a driver level issue and persists across various devices of specific make regardless of model. i.e. AMD fares better and expresses fewer glitches with Quartz animations on MacOS than Nvidia chips.

Now keep in mind this is a 2D acceleration issue and is often regarded as fairly low priority such as the performance is today. However if you check out the differences across iOS devices you'll see similar glitch disparities from model to model. And newer doesn't always equal better. Sucks but I only expect they will try to make t as smooth as they can, but this just may be as good as it gets due to caching and feamebuffer sizes in code or hardware.

Reactions: pmii

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Just a quick question about backup save and beta.

If I decide to unroll the beta when the official 10.2.1 version comes out, it is recommended to start as new, or my back up save still have some beta traces on it? I have battery drain on standby as well since beta 3 and it realy annoys me and think I will unroll when the official 10.2.1 comes out.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah I was gonna say 0% overnight cant be correct so maybe b3 had battery meter issues. It HAS to use some. But I agree that give it some more time. Could have been doing some cleanup from the update and it was a late update. Cant say I have seen any difference yet but I also plug in at night when go to bed so as to start the day 100%.

No. It is correct. Every single build from 10.0.1 to 10.2.1 beta 3. 0% drain on my 7Plus. I only have about 10 minutes of usage and 8 hours of standby overnight.

My iPhone 6s. From 9.3-10.0.1, 0% overnight drain. I never ever have more than 1% per night.

I use Coconut battery on my Mac to verify the mAh lost overnight.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
No. It is correct. Every single build from 10.0.1 to 10.2.1 beta 3. 0% drain on my 7Plus. I only have about 10 minutes of usage and 8 hours of standby overnight.

My iPhone 6s. From 9.3-10.0.1, 0% overnight drain. I never ever have more than 1% per night.

What do you have turned on during night? WiFi with mail, bluetooth ?

Reactions: Freakonomics101

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Swype bug still present, and occurs most in WhatsApp for some reason. Can anyone confirm that? I've made a report in Feedback Assistant.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Just a quick question about backup save and beta.

If I decide to unroll the beta when the official 10.2.1 version comes out, it is recommended to start as new, or my back up save still have some beta traces on it? I have battery drain on standby as well since beta 3 and it realy annoys me and think I will unroll when the official 10.2.1 comes out.

Even in the beta program, you will have the released version when the general public gets it. Either the last "beta" will be the gold master, and, hence, the release version or you will get the release version with everyone on the day it is released, as an update. As long as you have that, you can unenroll from the beta program and be back on the normal track.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What do you have turned on during night? WiFi with mail, bluetooth ?

WiFi/WiFi-Calling, Bluetooth, DND, Nightshift. All applications closed out. I have my phone set up pretty battery friendly though. I have Frequent Locations turned off, and I have gone through all System Services and disabled an Location Service that I do not use. Such as WiFi Networking, Time Zone, Cellular Networking and so on. All that does is just waste battery. Essentially, anything on the device that I have never used over the last 9 years of owning an iPhone, is turned off.

Reactions: addamas and permar

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Did they fix in these betas from 10.2:

Red dot on voicemail
Waking up display when its locked and talking through headset
Improve RAM managment
When you want to disable home control in Touch ID & Passcode it really disable not enable again
?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Red dot on voicemail
Improve RAM managment
When you want to disable home control in Touch ID & Passcode it really disable not enable again
?

Isn't the red dot because your carrier doesn't offer visual voicemail? Never been an issue here. No issues waking screen when on the call via headset and no RAM issues with my 7Plus or Air 2. Last one couldn't tell you. Never tried it.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

Mine usually has from 0% to 2% battery drain overnight. I don't keep Wi-Fi, Bluetooth on. No apps running in the background, no background refresh or auto updates enabled. Plus I keep low battery mode on. The last beta was taking like 5-8% with same settings. It got fixed in this newest beta for me.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Isn't the red dot because your carrier doesn't offer visual voicemail? Never been an issue here. Last one couldn't tell you. Never tried it.
Didn't know about that is because of carrier, but still this wasn't in 10.1.1 if I can remember.

No issues waking screen when on the call via headset
Try this:
Plug in your headphones, make a call, talk, lock the phone (so it will turn off display) then when you want to wake up and hang up, power button isn't working immediatly, home, nothing, then after couple of seconds it is woken.

and no RAM issues with my 7Plus or Air 2.
Maybe it is not an issue, but... If it is not, i'm dissapointed. Using about 8 apps daily (Spark, Tapatalk, Facebook/Messenger, Viber, Whatsapp, Camera (default stock one), Snapseed, Unified Remote) Of course there is browsing through Safari, but everytime after maybe couple of hours when I get back to Safari, it reloads pages. So probably it is out of RAM.

Last one couldn't tell you. Never tried it.
You can try. Go into settings and try to disable Home Control.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Didn't know about that is because of carrier, but still this wasn't in 10.1.1 if I can remember.

Try this:
Plug in your headphones, make a call, talk, lock the phone (so it will turn off display) then when you want to wake up and hang up, power button isn't working immediatly, home, nothing, then after couple of seconds it is woken.

Maybe it is not an issue, but... If it is not, i'm dissapointed. Using about 8 apps daily (Spark, Tapatalk, Facebook/Messenger, Viber, Whatsapp, Camera (default stock one), Snapseed, Unified Remote) Of course there is browsing through Safari, but everytime after maybe couple of hours when I get back to Safari, it reloads pages. So probably it is out of RAM.

You can try. Go into settings and try to disable Home Control.

Zero issues with waking the call when the screen is locked. I do this on a daily basis (multiple times a day).

As to Safari reloading pages. After a couple of hours of course its going to reload, it has to update the page. I would never expect something to stick in RAM for more than an hour, especially a website.

As for home control, it stays disabled. Just verified.

Reactions: Djilkosh

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016

Red dot on voicemail
Improve RAM managment
?

Red dot bug still present. I've contacted Apple about the red dot bug, and one of their engineers replied but couldn't resolve the issue.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Any hope that these bugs are fixed? (iP7)
Safari white page bug. I've given up that this will ever truly be fixed.
Failing to wake phone via home or wake button? This seems to happen usually after a call or during a call. Basically the home and wake buttons fail to wake the phone for about 5 seconds. Issue then resolves itself magically.

GrievingFob606

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Any hope that these bugs are fixed? (iP7)
Safari white page bug. I've given up that this will ever truly be fixed.
Failing to wake phone via home or wake button? This seems to happen usually after a call or during a call. Basically the home and wake buttons fail to wake the phone for about 5 seconds. Issue then resolves itself magically.
Please use the helpful solution for the Safari bug. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204229

And yes, that happens to me using iPhone 6. Failed to wake up after one or two seconds.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Please use the helpful solution for the Safari bug. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204229

And yes, that happens to me using iPhone 6. Failed to wake up after one or two seconds.

You linked to clearing the Safari cache. I've done that before and I'm tired of losing my history. It's a temporary workaround until the underlying problem happens again.

The failed to wake problem lasts for more than 1 or 2 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: atlchamp

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Am I the only one that has not noticed this Safari white page bug? I keep hearing about it but have never experienced it.

Reactions: cswifx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.