Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boomer85

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I really don't think this has anything to do with where one is located, but...

California, Mac, no.

I was able to load the new firmware using the link and instructions in this thread.

Yeah I doubt location matters, but hey you never know right?

Will that firmware link perform the same on a PC? I'd try it, but, as I mentioned before, I had a horrific time with 1.1.1 (lost everything)...and until someone fesses up to having tried the file on a PC successfully...I'll wait.

Thanks though...

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I am starting to wonder if Apple has delayed releasing 1.1.2 through iTunes on purpose. Jailbreaking 1.1.2 has already gotten pretty far which would mean that likely within a few days there would be an easy jailbreaking process. On top of that there is the emergence of free ringtones again. Could Apple be applying a quick fix to one or both of these issues before releasing it through iTunes in the US?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Yeah I doubt location matters, but hey you never know right?

Will that firmware link perform the same on a PC? I'd try it, but, as I mentioned before, I had a horrific time with 1.1.1 (lost everything)...and until someone fesses up to having tried the file on a PC successfully...I'll wait.

Thanks though...

Boomer...the zip file worked for me just fine on my windows PC this morning...this is how I discovered that personal ringtones could be utilized again. Once you download it just hold the shift and right click on the check for update button in your iPhone window. Took 3-5 minutes to do its thing and I had no issues.

Hope that helps,

Good Luck

Boomer85

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Boomer...the zip file worked for me just fine on my windows PC this morning...this is how I discovered that personal ringtones could be utilized again. Once you download it just hold the shift and right click on the check for update button in your iPhone window. Took 3-5 minutes to do its thing and I had no issues.

Hope that helps,

Good Luck

Thanks a lot...

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I am starting to wonder if Apple has delayed releasing 1.1.2 through iTunes on purpose. Jailbreaking 1.1.2 has already gotten pretty far which would mean that likely within a few days there would be an easy jailbreaking process. On top of that there is the emergence of free ringtones again. Could Apple be applying a quick fix to one or both of these issues before releasing it through iTunes in the US?

Exactly what i was thinking. There has to be a reason it wasnt released here already, and why the ringtone method works again.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Uhm ok, thanks. Sorry I don't like plugging in my iPhone for no reason and i wanted to make sure before i did anything. Nothing wrong with making sure.

oops...sorry...didnt mean to come across that way (god I hate typing, you loose emotion) was just trying to answer your question directly. Only trying to help those that were making big issues with ringtones in the past and may have got caught up in the moment. Sorry again for the bad response.

As far as Apple fixing the "Free Ringtone" method...I have had the post on their forum all day today and it has not been removed yet and normally if something is out of line it is removed most riky tik. It may be (IMHO) that enough users who complained about the limit of not being able to use sounds, personal creations etc. that they decided to let it go and cater to the customer. I say Thank You Apple for your considerations!!!

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Exactly what i was thinking. There has to be a reason it wasnt released here already, and why the ringtone method works again.

Yeah, I find it pretty weird that they would allow free ringtones again. The first time this was found Apple got on it right away and fixed it. Changing something in the update is the only reason I can see for them no releasing it in iTunes yet, especially since the German and UK releases have already passed.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
oops...sorry...didnt mean to come across that way (god I hate typing, you loose emotion) was just trying to answer your question directly. Only trying to help those that were making big issues with ringtones in the past and may have got caught up in the moment. Sorry again for the bad response.

Haha no problem mate. I understand how it is, happens all the time. :)

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
I really don't think this has anything to do with where one is located, but...

it has EVERYTHING to do with that...

everyone always seems to forget Apple uses Akamai to serve up pretty much everything they do. Akamai uses server clusters spread throughout the world to give fast speeds no matter where you are located - but for it to do this properly, the files must all be mirrored to all of the servers, checksums verified, tested, and then eventually made live. this is the way EVERY update is done on a Mac - it's never as simple as connecting to a server in Cupertino that is hosting this update.

oh, and NYC/mac/no

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
For those who don't get the update showing up in iTunes, it didn't for me either. I d/l'd the direct link at the top of the thread and then did the opt+click and linked to the zip file. For whatever reason that caused an error and my phone went into "recovery mode." I was forced to do a restore which d/l'd the 1.1.2 firmware again, but this time from inside iTunes. That did the trick and all my files and pics were restored after the update. My music and movies were not so I had to resync which was a PITA. So if you really want to update you can try it that way. I do wonder if Apple is working on fixing the ringtone issue, or if that was intentional.

After the update the DIY ringtones worked great, as stated. My phone BTW was not jailbreaked prior to updating.

JustMarci

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, then...

I guess I'll stop checking for updates on iTunes.

Honestly, as a non-globetrotting USAian, there's not much compelling in this update anyway. I can wait.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
it has EVERYTHING to do with that...

everyone always seems to forget Apple uses Akamai to serve up pretty much everything they do. Akamai uses server clusters spread throughout the world to give fast speeds no matter where you are located - but for it to do this properly, the files must all be mirrored to all of the servers, checksums verified, tested, and then eventually made live. this is the way EVERY update is done on a Mac - it's never as simple as connecting to a server in Cupertino that is hosting this update.

oh, and NYC/mac/no
Great info..Thanks

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
Safari on 1.1.2 is definitely faster

Safari on 1.1.2 is definitely faster. Never seen it work so fast, even over Edge... ebay.com used to be a slow loader, and now seems improved... cnn.com is dog slow though...

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
ok i don't know how on earth everyone else has got this update to work.

i downloaded from the server and it unzipped. i zipped it up again and pointed to it in iTunes. then it says "preparing iphone for update" then comes up with an 'unexpected error.... something something... x(and then a bunch of numbers.)

HELP!

Powerbook G4, iTunes 7.5, virgin iPhone, NYC, no.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
ok i don't know how on earth everyone else has got this update to work.

i downloaded from the server and it unzipped. i zipped it up again and pointed to it in iTunes. then it says "preparing iphone for update" then comes up with an 'unexpected error.... something something... x(and then a bunch of numbers.)

HELP!

Powerbook G4, iTunes 7.5, virgin iPhone, NYC, no.
And this is why I said in the beginning of this thread to wait for the iTunes update.

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Safari on 1.1.2 is definitely faster. Never seen it work so fast, even over Edge... ebay.com used to be a slow loader, and now seems improved... cnn.com is dog slow though...
to summarize:
Safari is definitely faster...ok maybe not.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Macbook Pro 2.4 SR, Itunes 7.5, 8GB Iphone, Virgin Iphone, Reno NV, I enjoy long walks on the beach, and the feeling of spaghetti noodles between my toes, No.:D

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Isnt this firmware just for the European iPhones so they can download and restore their iPhones if they have to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.