Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Not for me but it has not done that for me in a long long time (day 1 buyer here).

I am a day 1 buyer as well, and I had to exchange my first phone about a month in. Both had the problem, and this is a well known issue...glad to here it hasn't happened to you in a while though...

dave2qj

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
No need to unlock

If I bought a US phone and was using this firmware in the UK would it prevent the need to unlock the phone?

EDIT: If I put an O2 sim card into it instead of AT&T.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
ok i don't know how on earth everyone else has got this update to work.

i downloaded from the server and it unzipped. i zipped it up again and pointed to it in iTunes. then it says "preparing iphone for update" then comes up with an 'unexpected error.... something something... x(and then a bunch of numbers.)

HELP!

Powerbook G4, iTunes 7.5, virgin iPhone, NYC, no.

Grab the original zip file from the trash. That worked great for me.

Boomer85

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Ok I must comment...and sorry if I'm late with figuring this out, but:

Ok with the new 1.1.2 ability to play (<=30 second) custom ringtones, I decided to try something.

I took a full .m4a file (.mp3 works as well), that I had in my iTunes library. Nothing special...just a song from a CD I ripped. Anyway, so there was a specific starting point in the track that I wanted the ringtone to start at. So what I did is:

1.) Made a copy of the .m4a file, and renamed it to something else.m4a.

2.) Then I played the new track in iTunes to find the spot (in time using the meter on the top of the iTunes window) where I needed the ringtone to start. It happened to be at the 0:27 spot.

3.) Then I went to the track info and changed the start and end of the track to 0:27 to 0:57 (30 seconds), removed references to the album name/track number/part of a compilation checkbox/etc, titled it the way I wanted it, and saved the file.

4.) Then I did another: "convert to .aac" on the modified file.

5.) Then I browsed to my file on my computer, changed the extension to .m4r, added it to iTunes, and synced to my iPhone.

Bingo...instant fully-customed ringtone all through iTunes.

I love this 1.1.2 update!!!

Ok I'll stop my rant...

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
If I bought a US phone and was using this firmware in the UK would it prevent the need to unlock the phone?

EDIT: If I put an O2 sim card into it instead of AT&T.

The Locktable in the seczone locks your phone to the SIM card (in your case att). When you upgrade, the locktable is still there.

If you want to use the iPhone with a SIM card other than the one it came with you must unlock it.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Any more guesses as to why the update is still not available on iTunes??:confused:

My only guess is that the 1.1.2 people have been downloading and installing on their own is not the one that will be released in the US. I doubt that the US one will have any extra features, but I think Apple is tryin to break any hacks that have already happened and they will get rid of the current free ringtone method. I doubt anyone will see it through iTunes before Monday at the earliest.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Yeah I doubt location matters, but hey you never know right?

Will that firmware link perform the same on a PC? I'd try it, but, as I mentioned before, I had a horrific time with 1.1.1 (lost everything)...and until someone fesses up to having tried the file on a PC successfully...I'll wait.

Thanks though...

Did it, worked fine. Untouched unhacked normal out of the box iPhone. Took 5 mins.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

MacBoySeattle said:
Hack it again boys! Stupid Apple, when are you going to realize you can't f with all of us and you can't keep up. I WILL use the iphone with T-Mobile and you may as well get used to it. I'll switch to AT&T when you can pry my unlocked iphone out of my cold dead hands, and your profit sharing agreement with AT&T can be damned.

Stupid Apple?? R u kidding me?? What have u invented or created? Apple has raised the bar on cell phones and while it is not perfect yet and missing some key features and apps, they will soon make it better. Look how far the iPod has come and the iPhone will only get better. Most of u need to realize that this is a first generation phone. I just wish everyone would stop complaining about apple when they have brought us some cool stuff.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

diamond.g said:
EDIT:: macrumors of all places (haha) made my iPod crash!

i hate this bug =(

If you turn on Safari debug mode you will notice that macrumors generates about 100+ errors. iPhones Safari hates some of the tags that macrumors uses. Which is also why it takes a little while to load.

use their mobile version and it loads very fast and has no problems

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Ok I must comment...and sorry if I'm late with figuring this out, but:

Ok with the new 1.1.2 ability to play (<=30 second) custom ringtones, I decided to try something.

I took a full .m4a file (.mp3 works as well), that I had in my iTunes library. Nothing special...just a song from a CD I ripped. Anyway, so there was a specific starting point in the track that I wanted the ringtone to start at. So what I did is:

1.) Made a copy of the .m4a file, and renamed it to something else.m4a.

2.) Then I played the new track in iTunes to find the spot (in time using the meter on the top of the iTunes window) where I needed the ringtone to start. It happened to be at the 0:27 spot.

3.) Then I went to the track info and changed the start and end of the track to 0:27 to 0:57 (30 seconds), removed references to the album name/track number/part of a compilation checkbox/etc, titled it the way I wanted it, and saved the file.

4.) Then I did another: "convert to .aac" on the modified file.

5.) Then I browsed to my file on my computer, changed the extension to .m4r, added it to iTunes, and synced to my iPhone.

Bingo...instant fully-customed ringtone all through iTunes.

I love this 1.1.2 update!!!

Ok I'll stop my rant...

so...I think I did everything you described, and the file is in iTunes, it even is listed as a ringtone. But, I cannot copy it to my ringtones folder from within iTunes...is there a way to do this within finder?

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
so...I think I did everything you described, and the file is in iTunes, it even is listed as a ringtone. But, I cannot copy it to my ringtones folder from within iTunes...is there a way to do this within finder?

While Ringtones is selected on the left side of iTunes, under Library, drag the files to the song listing window from a Finder window. It would only work for me if the song wasn't in iTunes first, it had to come from the Finder, and had to be a m4r file.

pico007

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Does 1.1.2 still support Japanese input on some sites

Thank you for the detailed info. I appreciate it.

This really sucks. :mad:

Apparently 1.1.1 supported (link in Japanese) Japanese input on select sites. I wonder if this is still working?

Can someone with 1.1.2 go to http://www.jr-odekake.net/ (in Safari) and click on the text edit box and let me know if you get the Japanese enabled keyboard?
(If you type "sushi" you should see the choices come up in Japanese).
This used to work in 1.1.1 and I'd like to know if this still works in 1.1.2...

Thanks!

filmjeff

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Weird update

So I downloaded the update thing from MacRumors. Rezipped it. And restored... then it gave me an error and the "iTunes logo/arrow/Dock connecter" logo came on my phone.

Crap.

Well I hit "Restore" in iTunes and lo and behold, it starts downloading 1.1.2. Weird.

So Apple is dishing it out, but it didn't come up when I originally clicked "Check for updates" (before I downloaded 1.1.2 from MacRumors).

So it's restoring right now. I'll let you know what happens.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
While Ringtones is selected on the left side of iTunes, under Library, drag the files to the song listing window from a Finder window. It would only work for me if the song wasn't in iTunes first, it had to come from the Finder, and had to be a m4r file.

That's it! thank you. I could have sworn I had tried that, but obviously not.

scrogers

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2007
So I downloaded the update thing from MacRumors. Rezipped it. And restored... then it gave me an error and the "iTunes logo/arrow/Dock connecter" logo came on my phone.

Crap.

Well I hit "Restore" in iTunes and lo and behold, it starts downloading 1.1.2. Weird.

So Apple is dishing it out, but it didn't come up when I originally clicked "Check for updates" (before I downloaded 1.1.2 from MacRumors).

I believe there are a few in the last 12 pages that have reported similar findings. iTunes/Apple still does not seem to be pushing the updater to the iPhones saying 1.1.1 is up to date. However, if you do a FULL restore it appears that at least some are getting 1.1.2 as the install file downloaded through iTunes.

I'm now just waiting to see if Apple is going to break this limbo and push the updater, or if we're all going to wait through the weekend and have 1.1.3 or something pushed on Monday. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Any more guesses as to why the update is still not available on iTunes??:confused:

I think there will be an "iPhone Update: November '07" with added features very soon. It will be available to all iPhone owners. In the mean time, the 1.1.2 adds international features for outside the U.S.

Of course, Apple may release it anyway to keep people from downloading the update outside of iTunes as they are now. They wouldn't want people thinking iPhone updates are that clumsy.

Just a guess...

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA

Crap.

Same exact thing happened to me. Forced restore, then iTunes actually downloaded the update and applied it. All is good. Didn't lose a thing.

Claypidgeon

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Can someone with 1.1.2 go to http://www.jr-odekake.net/ (in Safari) and click on the text edit box and let me know if you get the Japanese enabled keyboard?
(If you type "sushi" you should see the choices come up in Japanese).
This used to work in 1.1.1 and I'd like to know if this still works in 1.1.2...

Thanks!

If by "text edit box" you mean the search tool in the upper right hand corner, it did not appear to work for me. I don't know what a "Japanese enabled keyboard" looks like, but it looked like the usual qwerty to me.

MacBoySeattle

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006

Stupid Apple?? R u kidding me?? What have u invented or created? Apple has raised the bar on cell phones and while it is not perfect yet and missing some key features and apps, they will soon make it better. Look how far the iPod has come and the iPhone will only get better. Most of u need to realize that this is a first generation phone. I just wish everyone would stop complaining about apple when they have brought us some cool stuff.

Dude if you want to live in some iphone is God deluded dream world go ahead. Have you seen Verizon Wireless' Q3 numbers kid? 1.6 million new subscribers in Q3 and the highest ever ARPU of over $52 per subscriber. The iphone is a drop in the bucket. Get that in your head. Verizon doesn't give a **** about the iphone when they're adding close to 2 million people a quarter without it. And that's just Verizon. Your little fancy graphical toy phone is relevant to a small number of AT&T users and that's about it. The world has moved on.

The iphone is the Mac of the wireless industry. It's priced way outside of the mainstream. It has a tiny insignificant market share with a prorietary single carrier and yet it feigns grandiousity and importance based on some fancy graphics and a small loyal (if stupid) fan base. It doesn't matter to BlackBerry or Motorola who ship 100 times the number of phones per month, nor to Verizon or T-Mobile who have tens of millions of subscribers and keep adding.

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
I brought up a picture of my wife that I had taken of her back side. I can now pinch her behind and to my surprise she can feel it. Thats just awesome!!

Okay just kidding. All these updates and what I really need is a to do list and notes. Not to forget everything else cheaper smartphones have that can run circles around the iPhone.

lol... thanks! I needed that. Yea... it's a pretty boring update, but my iPhone is unhacked, so what the hell. Nothing to really gain, nothing to loose. :rolleyes: :apple:

Edit: Did the whole manual update thing and it worked perfectly. No errors, little slower in update process than usual, but all in all no big deal.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Garage Band + 1.1.2 = Ultimate Ringtone Maker

Thank you Apple. You listened. :)

EXACTLY!!!...Finally someone else with a glass half full! I figured I would see more of this in these and Apples forums, but I guess skepticism runs rampid across this country.

You think negative, negative things happen. Maybe, maybe just once Apple has seen it through the customers eyes and agreed to just let it go. They see that there is a need or desire for sound ringtones, or a childs voice saying something or a home artist creating a work of art. You have all asked for it and its here...BE THANKFUL.

I posted my finding on Apple's forums yesterday morning about my discovery of the ringtone option and it is still there...if Apple thought otherwise, as they have numerous times in the past...wouldn't they have removed my post???

Regardless...you all have a new iphone version 1.1.2 that allows these ringtones and totally does away with the need for 1.0.2. You do not need to upgrade to 1.1.3 "IF" it is even released. A workable is now here and I will enjoy it and use it to its fullest!!!

THANK YOU APPLE!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.