Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoySeattle

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
By the way, what firmware version do we have to wait for to get picture messaging (MMS)? Get with the frickin program Apple. What GSM phone made in the past 3 years has lacked MMS? My friends and I send about 50 photos a day to each other using MMS and we're on different networks. Its called a standard Apple, get with the standards everybody else has. Don't even get me started on the lack of Yahoo IM, stereo Bluetooth, 3G, all of which are increasingly available in $99 phones. The reason I bring up MMS because its a deal breaker for people I know and I can't think of one typically paranoid prorietary justification Apple would have for not including a software feature like that. And with all the prorietary paranoia Apple has, that's really saying something.

taybo20

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Tempe
EXACTLY!!!...Finally someone else with a glass half full! I figured I would see more of this in these and Apples forums, but I guess skepticism runs rampid across this country.

You think negative, negative things happen. Maybe, maybe just once Apple has seen it through the customers eyes and agreed to just let it go. They see that there is a need or desire for sound ringtones, or a childs voice saying something or a home artist creating a work of art. You have all asked for it and its here...BE THANKFUL.

I posted my finding on Apple's forums yesterday morning about my discovery of the ringtone option and it is still there...if Apple thought otherwise, as they have numerous times in the past...wouldn't they have removed my post???

Regardless...you all have a new iphone version 1.1.2 that allows these ringtones and totally does away with the need for 1.0.2. You do not need to upgrade to 1.1.3 "IF" it is even released. A workable is now here and I will enjoy it and use it to its fullest!!!

THANK YOU APPLE!!!

First off we don't think negatively, we think logically according to how Apple has reacted in the past. The ringtone thing happened initially in the beginning but then was patched over by multiple methods. Now it has returned, but only time will tell whether this new way of putting ringtones on the iPhone will stay. Perhaps their argument for this type of "custom ringtone" is that iPhone users actually wanted "custom ringtones", not just music. Fortunately, it allows the use of any audio file made into a .m4r.

Second, saying that we will not need to update to 1.1.3 is not a good statement. Every release that Apple will have will be something the help patch, fix, or add to the iPhone. What about 1.2? These updates will continue to come, especially next year. If they take away your precious ringtones with 1.1.3, I suppose I understand a little bit. But I will continue to update my iPhone in the hope that it continues to fix bugs and add new/wanted features. In that way, I will be using my iPhone to the fullest...;)

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
First off we don't think negatively, we think logically according to how Apple has reacted in the past. The ringtone thing happened initially in the beginning but then was patched over by multiple methods. Now it has returned, but only time will tell whether this new way of putting ringtones on the iPhone will stay. Perhaps their argument for this type of "custom ringtone" is that iPhone users actually wanted "custom ringtones", not just music. Fortunately, it allows the use of any audio file made into a .m4r.

Second, saying that we will not need to update to 1.1.3 is not a good statement. Every release that Apple will have will be something the help patch, fix, or add to the iPhone. What about 1.2? These updates will continue to come, especially next year. If they take away your precious ringtones with 1.1.3, I suppose I understand a little bit. But I will continue to update my iPhone in the hope that it continues to fix bugs and add new/wanted features. In that way, I will be using my iPhone to the fullest...;)

Again I state...This post has been on Apple forums for almost 24 hours...there have been over 2,400 hits and almost 50 posts...Apple without hesitation either locks or removes threads that do not belong, are not technical related or are derogatory in context or use. This has not happened. I posted it there for that reason...To see what Apple would do and they have let it alone...Take this as a simple sign or keep being pesimestic...I am only helping those that want to really truly enjoy life and freedom of expression.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1229012&tstart=0

Have a terrific custom Ringtone DAY!!!:D

My response to the 1.1.3 were to those that are still using 1.0.2 or other because they want to use their own ringtones. It is so that "THEY CAN" update to get the patches and security fixes and still maintain what they were staying at a lower version for...please read the whole statement and intent. It also gets rid of the need for others to install hacks or other software that may hurt their phones...again, I am helping users with my posts not hurting. NO longer is iPhoneRingtoneMaker or iToner needed and still have open TIFF holes. This has all been a benefit to everyone...Again-Think POSITIVE!

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Dude if you want to live in some iphone is God deluded dream world go ahead. Have you seen Verizon Wireless' Q3 numbers kid? 1.6 million new subscribers in Q3 and the highest ever ARPU of over $52 per subscriber. The iphone is a drop in the bucket. Get that in your head. Verizon doesn't give a **** about the iphone when they're adding close to 2 million people a quarter without it. And that's just Verizon. Your little fancy graphical toy phone is relevant to a small number of AT&T users and that's about it. The world has moved on.

The iphone is the Mac of the wireless industry. It's priced way outside of the mainstream. It has a tiny insignificant market share with a prorietary single carrier and yet it feigns grandiousity and importance based on some fancy graphics and a small loyal (if stupid) fan base. It doesn't matter to BlackBerry or Motorola who ship 100 times the number of phones per month, nor to Verizon or T-Mobile who have tens of millions of subscribers and keep adding.

And if you don't think the iPhone is a significant advancement in handheld platforms, you've got some delusions of your own. You sound like a typical number cruncher who just looks at current performance and has virtually no ability to see beyond the math.

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
By the way, what firmware version do we have to wait for to get picture messaging (MMS)? Get with the frickin program Apple. What GSM phone made in the past 3 years has lacked MMS? My friends and I send about 50 photos a day to each other using MMS and we're on different networks. Its called a standard Apple, get with the standards everybody else has. Don't even get me started on the lack of Yahoo IM, stereo Bluetooth, 3G, all of which are increasingly available in $99 phones. The reason I bring up MMS because its a deal breaker for people I know and I can't think of one typically paranoid prorietary justification Apple would have for not including a software feature like that. And with all the prorietary paranoia Apple has, that's really saying something.

You are something else. Apple develops the most innovative forward thinking platform of the decade and you're like a spoiled little kid complaining about the fact that the Porsche daddy bought isn't gold plated too. Get real!

MacBoySeattle

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
You are something else. Apple develops the most innovative forward thinking platform of the decade and you're like a spoiled little kid complaining about the fact that the Porsche daddy bought isn't gold plated too. Get real!

MMS is "gold plating"? Every phone with a color screen and a camera produced in the past couple years has MMS. And that's CDMA and GSM and what do you know? They're interoperable too. That's the thing about standards though which apparently Apple has you convinced you don't need. LOL when you take a picture with your fancy toy phone and want to send it to a Verizon or T-Mobile customer, what do you do? Pray to God? Its in every FREE phone dude.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Dude if you want to live in some iphone is God deluded dream world go ahead. Have you seen Verizon Wireless' Q3 numbers kid? 1.6 million new subscribers in Q3 and the highest ever ARPU of over $52 per subscriber. The iphone is a drop in the bucket. Get that in your head. Verizon doesn't give a **** about the iphone when they're adding close to 2 million people a quarter without it. And that's just Verizon. Your little fancy graphical toy phone is relevant to a small number of AT&T users and that's about it. The world has moved on.

The iphone is the Mac of the wireless industry. It's priced way outside of the mainstream. It has a tiny insignificant market share with a prorietary single carrier and yet it feigns grandiousity and importance based on some fancy graphics and a small loyal (if stupid) fan base. It doesn't matter to BlackBerry or Motorola who ship 100 times the number of phones per month, nor to Verizon or T-Mobile who have tens of millions of subscribers and keep adding.

Hehe, you sound like the Dell guy that said that Apple should just be sold and the money returned to the shareholders.

Maybe you are right, but time will tell.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
MMS is "gold plating"? Every phone with a color screen and a camera produced in the past couple years has MMS. And that's CDMA and GSM and what do you know? They're interoperable too. That's the thing about standards though which apparently Apple has you convinced you don't need. LOL when you take a picture with your fancy toy phone and want to send it to a Verizon or T-Mobile customer, what do you do? Pray to God? Its in every FREE phone dude.

Wow...you are definetly a seattleite...impatient, spoiled and rude to boot!!! Obviously...YOU...are using this "TOY phone" and the only thing you seem to want to do is BITCH cause it don't meet your perfectionist standards. Get a GRIP DUDE...its called EMAIL to send a real photo...not a stupid thumbnail. I wouldnt want a bunch of thumbnails sent to me cause they are worthless and cant be used outside the friggin phone. Apple has NOT made a "standard" phone...they have made a better phone...get out of the dinosaur age and start using your email for big files. If you don't like "YOUR FANCY TOY PHONE" then take it back and leave these forums so that we don't have to listen to your spoiled brat attitude:eek:

Have a Great Day and ask for a Hug....you need it!

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Again I state...This post has been on Apple forums for almost 24 hours...there have been over 2,400 hits and almost 50 posts...Apple without hesitation either locks or removes threads that do not belong, are not technical related or are derogatory in context or use. This has not happened. I posted it there for that reason...To see what Apple would do and they have let it alone...Take this as a simple sign or keep being pesimestic...I am only helping those that want to really truly enjoy life and freedom of expression.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1229012&tstart=0

Have a terrific custom Ringtone DAY!!!:D

My response to the 1.1.3 were to those that are still using 1.0.2 or other because they want to use their own ringtones. It is so that "THEY CAN" update to get the patches and security fixes and still maintain what they were staying at a lower version for...please read the whole statement and intent. It also gets rid of the need for others to install hacks or other software that may hurt their phones...again, I am helping users with my posts not hurting. NO longer is iPhoneRingtoneMaker or iToner needed and still have open TIFF holes. This has all been a benefit to everyone...Again-Think POSITIVE!

Dude, you are looking at a user forum, in many ways not that different from this one. The person that posted is not an Apple representative. Just becuase Apple have not removed the post and every one is talking about it, it does not mean Apple agress.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Dude, you are looking at a user forum, in many ways not that different from this one. The person that posted is not an Apple representative. Just becuase Apple have not removed the post and every one is talking about it, it does not mean Apple agress.

Im the one that made that post and I have been on that forum since iPhone D-Day. It IS monitored by moderators that lock and remove posts daily. I know that it is a user to user forum and if you look at the two user names (here and there) and then look at my 700+ posts that I have been assisting users for over 4 months now. I am only new to this forum because I wanted to pass on the news of what I had discovered and wanted to share that with fellow users here. Your right though, I am not an Apple representative and even those that are on there cannot say one way or another but they do remove threads daily. If you had been a part of that forum crown for even two months, you would know...you havent thus you don't so please do not degrade advice from someone who has been there and knows the system.

Have a great day!

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Im the one that made that post and I have been on that forum since iPhone D-Day. It IS monitored by moderators that lock and remove posts daily. I know that it is a user to user forum and if you look at the two user names (here and there) and then look at my 700+ posts that I have been assisting users for over 4 months now. I am only new to this forum because I wanted to pass on the news of what I had discovered and wanted to share that with fellow users here. Your right though, I am not an Apple representative and even those that are on there cannot say one way or another but they do remove threads daily. If you had been a part of that forum crown for even two months, you would know...you havent thus you don't so please do not degrade advice from someone who has been there and knows the system.

Have a great day!

I used the link OU provided and that is a lot of people talking out of their butt. Nothing official. Just becuase Apple does not remove the post it does not mean that it is official. Major official capabilities are adverticed to bring more customers. This is a hole not a feature. It is too complex of a procedure. If Apple wanted you to be able to do this (at this stage), they would have instead just have you right click on the song and everything else would have occured automatically.

The iPhone and iTunes was made for the un-washed masses, this is too complex, it is not for people that know their way around a Mac.

Remember "It just works"?

Having to rename and then drag tells it all.
This is a hole.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I used the link OU provided and that is a lot of people talking out of their butt. Nothing official. Just becuase Apple does not remove the post it does not mean that it is official. Major official capabilities are adverticed to bring more customers. This is a hole not a feature. It is too complex of a procedure. If Apple wanted you to be able to do this (at this stage), they would have instead just have you right click on the song and everything else would have occured automatically.

No one is talking out their butts as you put it. It is a user help user forum sponsored, maintained and moderated by Apple (read the Terms of Use) to assist iPhone users that are having problems troubleshoot and get up and operational. I have NOT stated in ANY post that this an "OFFICIAL" upgrade. It "IS" a hole in the new version and it is being used by those that want to enjoy the found "feature". The procedure is NOT complex at all. No one has told you to use it, it does NOT brick iPhones, it is not a hack so let it go already. Those that want to use the "feature" can and those that don't wont. Obviously, they are NOT going to advertise it for monetary reasons, but at the same time, they have NOT locked my other thread. Get over it and let it go....By the way I am not a "DUDE" I have been leading soldiers for more years then you have been alive.

Have a great :apple: day!

taybo20

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Tempe
to sfc archer

TO SFC ARCHER

Hey man i am positive about Apple, hence why i own Apple products and no longer use windows/pc eqip. Also please dont use sarcasm in your arguments or defense; its less respectable.

Anyways like i said i am not negative about this new occurence nor am i pessimistic. I am skeptical. Do i hope its true? hell yeah! There are plenty of audio tones I want on my phone. But like I said time will tell. Also most users of 1.0.2 are not ringtone users, but those who have unlocked their phones for use on other carriers. I understand you're intent but try not to label people as negative or pessimistic. we all want the certain things from our phones. And hopefully we all get them.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
No one is talking out their butts as you put it. It is a user help user forum sponsored, maintained and moderated by Apple (read the Terms of Use) to assist iPhone users that are having problems troubleshoot and get up and operational. I have NOT stated in ANY post that this an "OFFICIAL" upgrade. It "IS" a hole in the new version and it is being used by those that want to enjoy the found "feature". The procedure is NOT complex at all. No one has told you to use it, it does NOT brick iPhones, it is not a hack so let it go already. Those that want to use the "feature" can and those that don't wont. Obviously, they are NOT going to advertise it for monetary reasons, but at the same time, they have NOT locked my other thread. Get over it and let it go....By the way I am not a "DUDE" I have been leading soldiers for more years then you have been alive.

Have a great :apple: day!

To me you are a dude, and by the way, you are making a mistake in assuming I am not older than you. Not all leaders are created equal btw, you seem to have a big ego, a lot of men that were lead are in graves and it is hard to say if they were led properly or not.

Get over it, DUDE.

BTW, Apple gave you a legal and for pay method of getting ring tones, what you are doing is stealing and leading others to steal also.

Good mark of a leader.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
To me you are a dude, and by the way, you are making a mistake in assuming I am not older than you. Not all leaders are created equal btw, you seem to have a big ego, a lot of men that were lead are in graves and it is hard to say if they were led properly or not.

Get over it, DUDE.

BTW, Apple gave you a legal and for pay method of getting ring tones, what you are doing is stealing and leading others to steal also.

Good mark of a leader.

Yes...and you are such a good example, not serving your country and making light of those who have sacraficed their lives for your freedom to sit on your ARSS and develope for 34 years.

And yes I do have an ego and it has allowed me to lead and bring home every SINGLE soldier. At least the soldiers I lead have respect and don't degrade others. And oh by the way...every song I have in iTunes to include ringtones is "PURCHASED" The sounds I am refering to come from Captain Audio and Crazy Frog and do not allow ringtones to be made yet...The SONGs WERE Purchased...Again speaking without facts....you GET OVER IT!

That is All...your Dismissed!

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Yes...and you are such a good example, not serving your country and making light of those who have sacraficed their lives for your freedom to sit on your ARSS and develope for 34 years.

And yes I do have an ego and it has allowed me to lead and bring home every SINGLE soldier. At least the soldiers I lead have respect and don't degrade others. And oh by the way...every song I have in iTunes to include ringtones is "PURCHASED" The sounds I am refering to come from Captain Audio and Crazy Frog and do not allow ringtones to be made yet...The SONGs WERE Purchased...Again speaking without facts....you GET OVER IT!

That is All...your Dismissed!

And why do you think I was not in the military?
As a LEADER you are making a lot of mistakes DUDE, you keep making a lot of assumptions. Just because you can does not mean you should, you are leading your MEN to steal.

I would say you are not much of a leader, you just have a big head and full of yourself.

pico007

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
If by "text edit box" you mean the search tool in the upper right hand corner, it did not appear to work for me. I don't know what a "Japanese enabled keyboard" looks like, but it looked like the usual qwerty to me.

Yes, upper right hand text field. thanks. In 1.1.1, by clicking on the text field with lang=ja it brought up a slightly different qwery that allowed me to type japanese. Looks like apple took this (bug) out.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Is 1.1.2 now appearing on iTunes or the Apple update yet?

I would not try this until it does, it has been many hours and to my knowledge it is still not out.

I recommend waiting.

evilbert420

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Wow, this thread sucks. You've got people trashing on people that live in Seattle, then turning around and talking about respect? Gotta love maturity, some have it and some don't.

Did Apple fix the major Calendar bug where calendar items not created by the owner of the calendar don't get synced? That's a major dealbreaker for me. The fact that 80% of my calendar items are sent by someone else, and yet they don't sync, has made me switch to another phone that handles the calendar appropriately.

Any idea if this is fixed?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I was just thinking, with the download of the firmware, I guess it won't be long before someone reverse engineers it* and creates a iPhone version of Linux or something. It would be interesting to see what develops.

*I think reverse engineering violates copyrights or EULA or something so do it at your own risk! I am not condoning this action, just saying it may be possible.

taybo20

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Tempe
Wow, this thread sucks. You've got people trashing on people that live in Seattle, then turning around and talking about respect? Gotta love maturity, some have it and some don't.

Please try not to bring this up again as you were not involved in the confrontation and because the issue has seemed to have been settled by both going in their own ways.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Not sure where this stands as of now, but I updated my MBP to the latest iTunes and QT and as long as it says current for my iPhone is 1.1.1 and the 1.1.2 is NOT from an Apple site that I recognize. I'll not touch it.

Z

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005

For everything the iPhone doesn't do, there is a list of 10 things no other phone has ever done. I'm more than happy with mine as are many millions of other people buying them. Perfect, no.... but on the road to being the best handheld device ever....by a wide margin. That's my opinion, delivered respectfully and without a bunch of misdirected anger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.