Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
For everything the iPhone doesn't do, there is a list of 10 things no other phone has ever done. I'm more than happy with mine as are many millions of other people buying them. Perfect, no.... but on the road to being the best handheld device ever....by a wide margin. That's my opinion, delivered respectfully and without a bunch of misdirected anger.

This is version 1, imagine what version 2 and 3 look like!

claytonaugust

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
You are something else. Apple develops the most innovative forward thinking platform of the decade and you're like a spoiled little kid complaining about the fact that the Porsche daddy bought isn't gold plated too. Get real!

Actually it's more like complaining that the Porsche daddy bought doesn't have power door locks.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
By the way, what firmware version do we have to wait for to get picture messaging (MMS)? Get with the frickin program Apple. What GSM phone made in the past 3 years has lacked MMS? My friends and I send about 50 photos a day to each other using MMS and we're on different networks.

The iPhone has a gorgeous display. Why do I want 0.3MP photos from friends clogging it up?!

claytonaugust

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, just 450 raw ponies under the hood and a suspension that can take a hairpin curve at 80 mph. I can wait for the door locks.:)

Except the engine dies 4 out of 5 times when you reach a certain speed, and Porsche tells you they can't take responsibility because you tried to put your own gasoline in it. They then sell your neighbor the same model for $20,000 less and offer you a credit for free oil change with your next Porsche purchase. :p

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Except the engine dies 4 out of 5 times when you reach a certain speed, and Porsche tells you they can't take responsibility because you tried to put your own gasoline in it. They then sell your neighbor the same model for $20,000 less and offer you a credit for free oil change with your next Porsche purchase. :p

Sounds pretty much like the development cycle of most American products...;)

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
No it's more like a very small minority of people who have no idea what is going on under the hood modify the engine. Then it dies, Porsche tells them they can't take responsibility for what they've done, and then they come on public forums like a bunch of cry babies. Then like the product life cycle of ANYTHING else on the entire planet, they offer models for less money than when they first came out. You should be so lucky they offered ANYTHING.

thegman1234

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Long Island
Not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but my iPhone won't take the update. Yes I rezipped the folder and renamed it as a .ipsw. Anyone have a clue?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I have a suspicion that this is not a real iPhone update. I checked the link's address and it is. http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...1107.5Bghn/iPhone1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw

Note what's in between the http:// and the first slash: appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net. If this WERE from Apple, it wouldn't have the .edgesuite.net. Besides, if this update is genuine, why do you have to download it at all & not just go through iTunes? So update this at your own risk.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I am starting to wonder if Apple has delayed releasing 1.1.2 through iTunes on purpose. Jailbreaking 1.1.2 has already gotten pretty far which would mean that likely within a few days there would be an easy jailbreaking process. On top of that there is the emergence of free ringtones again. Could Apple be applying a quick fix to one or both of these issues before releasing it through iTunes in the US?

Well custom ringtones is a 1.1.2 update because while iTunes 7.5 will load and list an AAC file with a .m4r extension as a ringtone, it will not copy it to a 1.1.1 phone.

Now since at least France has to have an open-contract iPhone, could this be something specific to the EU? Perhaps the EU either requires "user supplied" ringtones under law or the RIAA contracts that (some claim) prevent them here in the US does not apply to the EU, so they can get free ringtones?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I have a suspicion that this is not a real iPhone update. I checked the link's address and it is. http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...1107.5Bghn/iPhone1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw

Note what's in between the http:// and the first slash: appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net. If this WERE from Apple, it wouldn't have the .edgesuite.net. Besides, if this update is genuine, why do you have to download it at all & not just go through iTunes? So update this at your own risk.

LOL, it is probably ok as Apple host these externally, but it would be real funny if this was malware ....... ROLMAO.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No

Plus, what's going on? Previous rumor pointed to an update via iTunes by Friday. Friday came and went, and all we get is this DIY sketchy thing? Anybody who's installed it - can you verify that it really is a legitimate Apple update?

claytonaugust

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
No it's more like a very small minority of people who have no idea what is going on under the hood modify the engine. Then it dies, Porsche tells them they can't take responsibility for what they've done, and then they come on public forums like a bunch of cry babies. Then like the product life cycle of ANYTHING else on the entire planet, they offer models for less money than when they first came out. You should be so lucky they offered ANYTHING.

Haha, actually I don't care that much about it. I bought my iPhone the day after the price drop was announced. Also, it's completely stock, not jailbroken or unlocked...that doesn't change the fact that Safari & iPod don't play nice, or that it locks up at random times... But thank you for being an upright protector of the good name of Apple.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Plus, what's going on? Previous rumor pointed to an update via iTunes by Friday. Friday came and went, and all we get is this DIY sketchy thing? Anybody who's installed it - can you verify that it really is a legitimate Apple update?

The URL is legit. Edgesuite is an Akamai name.

This is the stock firmware of the international iPhones and is online for all the Euro iTunes users to be able to restore their iPhones if they need to. It's not an update to the US iPhone.

There will be an update to the US iPhone (and Euro) soon enough.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
The URL is legit. Edgesuite is an Akamai name.

This is the stock firmware of the international iPhones and is online for all the Euro iTunes users to be able to restore their iPhones if they need to. It's not an update to the US iPhone.

There will be an update to the US iPhone (and Euro) soon enough.

Thanks, I guess. But since I'm guilty of not knowing what "Akamai" is, I have no idea what you mean. The thing is, I *think* it's legitimate, and that I can wait a day or two until they've put up the real update, but I was wondering if someone could explicitly show that this is real rather than just restate what everybody thinks.

And what happened to the one rumored to become available Friday through iTunes?

ElBerserko

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Where is the official word that this is a US update? Just because MacRumors posted it?

There is no official word. Someone just found the European restore file and people took that as the "release".

For those that are unsure if the update is legit, go to http://itunes.com/version and you will see all the URLs for downloading these files. Apple uses Akamai's edgesuite.net for all the downloads. Also notice the URL it forwards you to.

iTunes updates work by suggesting a version as the newest based on what you are currently running. Below is all the builds known by iTunes and what version you will be asked to update to if you are running that build.

1A543a -> 3A109a (1.1.1)
1C25 -> 3A109a (1.1.1)
1C27 -> 3A109a (1.1.1)
1C28 -> 3A109a (1.1.1)
3A101a -> 3A109a (1.1.1)
3A109a -> 3A109a (1.1.1)
3B48a -> 3B48b (1.1.2)
3B48b -> 3B48b (1.1.2)
Unknown -> 3B48b (1.1.2)

This tells us that all iPhones that are not currently running 1.1.2 should be updated to 1.1.1. Also, if your phone is hosed and it can't figure out the version you are currently running, you get 1.1.2. For that reason I do not think it is bad for US phones to run 1.1.2.

It seems obvious that Apple does not intend to release 1.1.2 to US iPhones just yet, or even at all officially though iTunes. If they do not, I suspect another update is coming very soon.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I'm guilty of not knowing what "Akamai" is

Akamai is basically a massive web hosting company that Apple uses to deliver it's files on the internet - it mirrors the file across servers located throughout the world to ensure that download speeds are fast and the servers are never full.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Akamai is basically a massive web hosting company that Apple uses to deliver it's files on the internet - it mirrors the file across servers located throughout the world to ensure that download speeds are fast and the servers are never full.

Thanks. Also thanks to ElBerserko. That makes more sense now.

I guess 1.1.2 was just pushed out the door in time for the European release, then?

timish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Wasn't the first clue to ANYONE looking at this that it is a BETA release??

There's a damn "b" in the release file name.

Tim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.