Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If the files are small... it wouldn't be a bother.

But it gets trickier with large files... like photos, for instance. If you dump a couple hundred megabytes of photos onto your Mac... how long will it take to get them to the cloud and then to your iPhone?

Dropbox will take advantage of your faster local network when it can. Maybe iCloud will work in the same way--your pictures would be uploaded over time to the net, but in the meantime it'll also send it to your phone via wifi, bypassing the cloud.

DennisVR

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
I'm most curious about this iCloud stuff. When i buy music i want to be able listen to it on any Apple device i have without having to sync. On that note WIFI syncing would be nice.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
iCloud == the new iTunes.

This makes perfect sense! It would mean liberating all the iDevices from the need to ever hook up to a computer. People with modest computing needs could just get an iPad and that's it.

This brings us the tantalising prospect that the Apple TV could in theory have access to *all* of your media, through the cloud.

If that happened I'm definitely getting one! :)

macman312

macrumors 6502
Hopefully they'll be "one more thing"!

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds :)

Agreed I hope it will be

1) a brand new iphone- don't even care if it isn't released till september as long as it is announced

2) support for flash- I am thinking of starting a trust fund for apple to start supporting flash and send apple the money then maybe :p

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
I got strep throat so I stayed home from university class today, hoping this will pass the time before I can swallow without crying again. Although, if they decide to not support 3GS with iOS5, I may begin to cry regardless.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
And here's my prediction:

Real TV -- 32", 37", 42" and 50" LG panels with the 2nd gen TV and Airport Extreme built in along with PVR capability running under iOS5.

3 things about this recurring rumor...

If Apple ever gets in the business of making televisions, get ready for sticker shock to no end (there is no AT&T or Verizon plan to subsidize the price, you'll just get the full price plus the Apple profit margin and it won't be relatively pretty). I could already foresee a million complaints of how the very same panel in the form of an LG television plus an external :apple:TV is $XXX cheaper, so why pay so much to have it inside? I could also foresee that the next larger size or two plus an external :apple:TV would probably prove to be priced about the same as the Apple-branded set.

What a shame it would be to have a 1080p capable panel yet have the :apple:TV and thus the Apple PVR capped at 720p. If it's based upon the 2nd gen, that's exactly what it would be. If we're going to hope for this, we need to hope for an :apple:TV platform upgrade that finally embraces 1080p.

The best way for this dream to come true would be for Apple to license the :apple:TV platform to TV manufacturers and "encourage" them to build it into their sets.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Last minute thoughts

Some people will moan that if Apple introduce X,Y,Z that they didn't do A,B,C.
Some people will moan about price, no matter what that price might be.
Some people will moan because that is all they ever do.

Everybody else will likely be very happy...

Oh and anything Apple does will be regarded by some as 'generic' by the end of Steve's speech.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Some people will moan that if Apple introduce X,Y,Z that they didn't do A,B,C.
Some people will moan about price, no matter what that price might be.
Some people will moan because that is all they ever do.
Some people will moan about other people being disappointed

Fixed that there for you. Don't be part of the problem.

Personally, I don't give a crap about iCloud, I just hope they don't screw up on iOS 5 (widgets and notifications, Twitter stuff not too "deep integration style", support the 3GS in some fashion so that it gets 2 iOS upgrades like the iPhone and the iPhone 3G before it) and I'd be happy with a release date and price for Lion.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
3 things about this recurring rumor...

If Apple ever gets in the business of making televisions, get ready for sticker shock to no end (there is no AT&T or Verizon plan to subsidize the price, you'll just get the full price plus the Apple profit margin and it won't be relatively pretty). I could already foresee a million complaints of how the very same panel in the form of an LG television plus an external :apple:TV is $XXX cheaper, so why pay so much to have it inside? I could also foresee that the next larger size or two plus an external :apple:TV would probably prove to be priced about the same as the Apple-branded set.

What a shame it would be to have a 1080p capable panel yet have the :apple:TV and thus the Apple PVR capped at 720p. If it's based upon the 2nd gen, that's exactly what it would be. If we're going to hope for this, we need to hope for an :apple:TV platform upgrade that finally embraces 1080p.

The best way for this dream to come true would be for Apple to license the :apple:TV platform to TV manufacturers and "encourage" them to build it into their sets.

I really dont think apple will ever go into the television business. As they've said many times, they only consider it a 'hobby'. Besides, who wants to spend that much money on something you can buy in the shops for £100?

dball4

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
Quite excited about this. Called in sick to work just for the occasion.

I almost did the same until I realized I need the money and that I can sneak in reading the coverage at work with my iPad over the public wifi at my building. I'm also packing my lunch today which I never do and I will eat it at my desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.