Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
Nice to see the proper spelling of "champing at the bit."

Looking forward to the release, too. :)

Actually, when I read the article earlier this afternoon, it actually said "chopping at the bit." I'm sure I wasn't the only person who wrote in letting them know they were completely off. :)

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
But what are you patiently waiting for? Are you having issues that you know 10.5.7 will address? 10.5.6 has been rock solid. ;)

i've had some funky driver issues on my macbook and wifi never wants to stay connected. 10.5.7 is supposed to fix these

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
No. I see your point, but its wrong. Apple will let Microsoft release Windows 7, then when its out, and people start reporting the thousands of bugs, and some Windows bashing reviews get their teeth into it and give it terrible reviews Apple will slam out Snow Leopard as the saviour alternative, like the second coming of Christ, and eveyone will be like, hey Windows is so bad lets stick with something solid like Apple and Snow Leopard.

This will also give Apple more time to perfect Snow Leopard than Microsoft and Windows.

Except everyone is already praising Windows 7 as the second coming, so unless Snow Leopard improve like Vista -> Win 7, it will seem less extraordinary.

Actually, unless Apple comes out with something amazing, I predict a lot of switchers back to Windows.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Except everyone is already praising Windows 7 as the second coming, so unless Snow Leopard improve like Vista -> Win 7, it will seem less extraordinary.

Actually, unless Apple comes out with something amazing, I predict a lot of switchers back to Windows.

Nah man, I think you could very well be high (good for ya!), people are not going to switch from OS X to Winblowz. Redmond doesn't have that much Kool-Aid!:)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Nah man, I think you could very well be high (good for ya!), people are not going to switch from OS X to Winblowz. Redmond doesn't have that much Kool-Aid!:)

Don't be so sure. Many of my Mac friends (switchers after Vista) enjoyed W7 enough to the point that they won't buy a Mac next time unless Snow Leopard change their mind. They find it extremely worthy of XP replacement and some of them thinks W7 is much faster then mac on same machines.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I think that Windows has an advantage in this regard though. 7 is going to be seen as a huge improvement because Vista is seen as being so poor, when in reality it is pretty damn good.

I haven't seen anything in screenshots of 7 that makes me think "big improvement on Vista". Snow Leopard's advances with QuickTime and the other complicated things that were written up ages ago are much clearer as forward progress, despite the no new features claim.

10.5.7 Friday? Well I guess if we say it every week we'll eventually be right - this is the 10th week we've been expecting it though.

vm7118

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
NJ, USA

yeah, only cupertino has that much kool aid. it's gotta be a lot to quench the thirst of all you fanboiz in here :)

windows 7 is pretty slick.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Hurry the hell up, Apple. I ordered a 4870 and need the drivers that I -assume- will come with 10.5.7 so that I can get it running properly.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I think that Windows has an advantage in this regard though. 7 is going to be seen as a huge improvement because Vista is seen as being so poor, when in reality it is pretty damn good.

I haven't seen anything in screenshots of 7 that makes me think "big improvement on Vista". Snow Leopard's advances with QuickTime and the other complicated things that were written up ages ago are much clearer as forward progress, despite the no new features claim.

10.5.7 Friday? Well I guess if we say it every week we'll eventually be right - this is the 10th week we've been expecting it though.

Because you can't really see the performance in screenshots, by your logic you can't see any major improvements either in Snow Leopard by looking at its screenshot.

Try using it for once. Even I think W7 is fast, same or faster than XP on the Dell Mini 9 with 1GB of ram.

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
meh. big deal. get moving on snow leopard.

Since all my hardware is PPC based I really don't care about SL. I'm sure it will be very nice on Intel machines but I want this iteration of OSX to be as good as it cam be.

gikku

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
The sooner Snow Leopard is released the sooner I can consider a new MacBook and new iMac. :apple:
I had intended to get new machines when Leopard was released, but it was such a dog (no pun) I didn't bother. I have upgraded to Leopard but never purchased the new box. Snnow Leopard will be the clincher. :apple:

Otherwise, G4s and G5s forever :apple:

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
So, the original poster who said that he'd wait for the "guinea pigs" to install 10.5.7 before he did the jump is the smart one.

I'm with you... 10.5.6 managed to disable Time Machine on FileVault home directories... Apple is not testing thoroughly. The rapid builds, and rapid release doesn't allow for it.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
And you can't be so blind as to claim that every update is flawless in every way for every user. (Mr. Lawyer does, but you seem more reasonable than that fanboi.)

I am, of course. :) And I wasn't trying to imply that updates never have bugs or issues, I just failed to see the relevance of a old Panther bug.

The OS doesn't matter - Linux/Windows/Vista/Solaris/OSX/OpenVMS/... - you don't upgrade the 24x7 systems as soon as something new appears.

No of course, not. I myself will wait to purchase the SL install disk at least a few weeks, if only due to my busy schedule. I figure if anything apocalyptic were to happen with SL, I'd read about it on MacRumors first before then. ;)

10.5.7 is also supposed to cure AIDS.

No, that's Windows 7 you're thinking of. :D

I've noticed a humorous political correlation to the Vista disaster and the introduction of Windows 7.

Vista = The Bush administration
Win7 = Obama

Need I say more? :p

Windows 7 is looking good however. I've seen it running on ancient Dell boxes that Vista would incinerate.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i've used windows 7 in bootcamp. it's fine, really. a big step forward to improving windows for windows users. but it is fundamentally about a different attitude than os x. if you started everyone fresh, without prior ideas some would prefer windows because of the way it works others os x. os x isn't always better, but it is a different approach. if people have switched, they won't go back unless there is a problem that makes them want to jump ship. consumers are finicky, it's simple.

windows 7 is still just windows and due to it's monopoly much software is either only available for windows or highly optimised for windows. snow leopard is also still just os x. incremental improvements, evolution not revolution. power users are still power users whether on windows, os x or linux. newbies are still newbies.

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
Don't be so sure. Many of my Mac friends (switchers after Vista) enjoyed W7 enough to the point that they won't buy a Mac next time unless Snow Leopard change their mind. They find it extremely worthy of XP replacement and some of them thinks W7 is much faster then mac on same machines.

And with XP compatibility built in via vm, mission critical apps don't have to be "re-bought" most likely.

But the main reason I bought a mac believe it or not, was because of how Vista and Office 2007 wiped out things like existing keyboard shortcuts.

I figured if I have to learn a new environment, let's compare the two (Vista/O2k7 and OS-X/Parallels). So..I wound up back up to keyboard shortcut speed in Parallels, wound up very much appreciating the Apple hardware and OS-X in general. Makes me sail through my jobs, and with Boxee and the remote, wow... But!

I use the best equipment I can afford because it gives me an edge. Right now it's Macs. If Apple drops the ball on these upcoming os revisions though, you could very well be right on people reverting. People like me will pitch these Macs right out if they get in the way. No time for fanaticism, I just want the best tool. Perform, or perish.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Crossing my fingers for you. I am so jealous of all you Intel based mac owners. Come on Apple with the latest MacBook update.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
so let's say i order a mac tomorrow, and .7 comes out on friday, would they ship the system with a 10.5.7 cd?

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
10.5.6 has been really solid for me on my Macbook. The only problem I've had was with the mini displayport through an external monitor. Sometimes when it comes out of sleep you get snow/static until you replug the cable. If 10.5.7 fixes that small problem, I'll be happy until Snow Leopard.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
so let's say i order a mac tomorrow, and .7 comes out on friday, would they ship the system with a 10.5.7 cd?

Probably not. It's a free download though. Why is it such a big deal? Most machines have updates that need to be installed anyway when you first set up. Stuff just gets released between when the drive image is made at the factory, and when you take the Mac home.

It's a DVD, btw. Leopard+Xcode+Windows Drivers is way too big for a 700MB CD.

evilspoons

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
I wonder if this fixes the IPv6 bug that prevents me from tethering with my BlackBerry Bold when the Bold is above a certain system software revision (I believe the newer Bold software turns on some feature that borks interaction with a Mac, but not a Windows computer). Crossing my fingers...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Probably not. It's a free download though. Why is it such a big deal? Most machines have updates that need to be installed anyway when you first set up. Stuff just gets released between when the drive image is made at the factory, and when you take the Mac home.

It's a DVD, btw. Leopard+Xcode+Windows Drivers is way too big for a 700MB CD.
Two dvds actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.