Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Of course it has to do with logic. It's a small required component that you can lose or forget and takes up a valuable USB port.

And I already have a Wacom tablet that uses an identical looking dongle. I REALLY couldn't justify taking up two USB ports with wireless transceivers. What the heck is the point of using wireless at that point anyway?

I wonder if they can share.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And I already have a Wacom tablet that uses an identical looking dongle. I REALLY couldn't justify taking up two USB ports with wireless transceivers. What the heck is the point of using wireless at that point anyway?

I wonder if they can share.

The Logitech RF is proprietary.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well that's just freaking stupid. But thanks for the info.

It is supposed to be better for gaming, for example.

The problem is that they haven't been doing much in the Bluetooth department lately.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
It is supposed to be better for gaming, for example.

Oh, no, I agree the RF is a more reliable signal. The lag difference between the bluetooth Wacom tablets and the RF ones is very noticeable. It's the fact that I'd have to use two separate RF dongles that look identical if I had both an Intuos5 and this Logitech mouse. It's stupid that it's proprietary.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
This one! :)

new-mmo_gaming_mouse11-2.png

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Oh, no, I agree the RF is a more reliable signal. The lag difference between the bluetooth Wacom tablets and the RF ones is very noticeable. It's the fact that I'd have to use two separate RF dongles that look identical if I had both an Intuos5 and this Logitech mouse. It's stupid that it's proprietary.

Getting Bluetooth to work on PCs can be a problem, too. I guess that's a very important reason why Logitech goes with their own stuff.

So, even if there were a better standard than today's Bluetooth, that's not a guarantee proprietary solutions would not still be preferred by the vendors (even if they didn't attempt lock-in).

DutchAmerican

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Drunen, Netherlands
For my normal use I got the Magic Mousse. Works really great, and yes, at the beginning it felt kind of strange but now I don't want any other mousse for my Macbook.
I use a different mousse for gaming. Personally the best and best return on investment is definitely the Cyborg R.A.T. series!

Macbook use: Magic Mousse

Gaming: Cyborg R.A.T. 5 (cabled) http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat5.htm

But if you are looking for a (very good) wireless, you need one of these!:
http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm

Mizzou02RS

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
I got Logitech M305 from Amazon for my MBP and I love it! The dongle is tiny and completely unobtrusive while the mouse works flawlessly. Besides, you can't beat the price!

I also likes how its color scheme matches my new Mac. :)

41e5oaK7ICL._AA300_.jpg

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I know there getting quite old now but that means they can be found at a good price anyway, I love my Logitech Revolution mx pro, simple to install just plug in usb bit and away you go no need to use the cd or download new drivers (like my windows 7 pc had to do)

To date, the best mouse I've ever had. Sadly after several years, it finally is no longer tracking accurately.

At one point - I thought they even had a bluetooth version that came bundled with their "edge" keyboard.

They need to bring that mouse back, while they're, a revamped Z-5500.

Since the gradual death of my MX Revolution - I've tried a few mice, and ultimately settled on the G500. not cordless, not loaded with buttons, but it felt the best, and performs well.

Last edited:

jpross123

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Kentucky
I love my Logitech Performance MX mouse. Being a Graphic/Web Designer the magic mouse was very uncomfortable after a short time of use. With this mouse I can use it for hours with no problem.

logitech-performance-mouse-mx-on-glass-surface.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

prfrma

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
The logitech performance mouse is the best desktop imput device beyond a wacom but....

I prefer the magic mouse for the MBP because:
- It has the best multi touch behaviour of any mouse on OSX
- It's slim, making it easier to carry in slim line casing
- You don't need a dongle, freeing your usb ports for useful things.

It isn't very comfortable, but if I'm working for extended time periods, I'd use a wacom.
It's not great for gaming
And it's battery life is average.

So bare that in mind....

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I bought Logitech M705 last week and to be honest it takes time to get used to this mouse - it's heavier than my previous mice and the tracking isn't the best in my opinion, at least not immediately. it is however nicely build, pretty comfortable and has a good scroll wheel.

Overall after a week of use I'm beginning to get used to this mice, especially the tracking issue, however I'm not sure if I'll settle with it - hopefully I'll, but for now I have my doubts(tracking).

I would suggest you to go to a store and try the mice under an O.S to see how it feels.

Good Luck!

marcosscriven

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
the Logitec m905
Best mouse I've ever used, works on just about any surface, and no lag

i bought from here: http://www.logitechshop.com.au/logitech-m905-anywhere-mouse-u.html

of all the things Apple makes, the mighty/magic mouse is imo by far the worst :apple:

I second this. It's such a good size, and the best thing is the scroll wheel can tilt left or right, which you can set to do almost anything. I use it to navigate back and forward.

There's also a back/forward button, but I've programed those to flip between spaces.

Finally there's an application switch button, which I've reassigned to take a screen section snapshot.

Nano receiver can actually be stored inside the body of the mouse when not in use.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN

Adorada

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
910-001773.jpg

I use the Logitech G700 mouse. I can be both wired or wireless and it has 13 programmable buttons which I constantly use when I'm programming or doing web development. I find that it just the right amount of buttons for a mouse and they are not all on the side like the G600 or Razer Naga. Even if I do need extra buttons, I have my G13 to my left.

I also use my Magic Mouse and it does a lovely job for being a fairly simple mouse. If I'm surfing the internet or just browsing my files/photos then the magic mouse is great.

I do have a Wacom Cintiq 24HD at work and while I do LOVE it, that thing is so huge and there's no way that it is a mouse by any means.

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I love my Logitech Performance MX mouse. Being a Graphic/Web Designer the magic mouse was very uncomfortable after a short time of use. With this mouse I can use it for hours with no problem.

logitech-performance-mouse-mx-on-glass-surface.jpg

My mouse of choice too, although mainly due to my glass table. It is a lot more ergonomic than the Magic Mouse though, although I do sorely miss multitouch.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Is there a reason why 99% of wireless mice nowadays come with a USB dongle? Why don't they switch over to Bluetooth?

Last edited:

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
If I had to buy a mouse now. I would probably go for a cyborg rat9. In your cause a cyborg rat5 or 7 would also suffice.

They get rave reviews from the pros. Certainly cheaper for what you get compared to logitech and they are better.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Razer Deathadder is a good one or logitech g9.... wireless mice of logitech are quite nice as-well

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
Is there a reason why 99% of wireless mice nowadays come with a USB dongle? Why don't they switch over to Bluetooth?

Latency issues ... Although I imagine with Bluetooth 4.0 it should be better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.