Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A growing number of Verizon subscribers are complaining about a serious issue that causes them to regularly lose LTE connectivity on their iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices, suggesting a major bug that needs to be resolved by either Apple or Verizon.

There are dozens of complaints from Verizon customers who have purchased either an iPhone 7 or an iPhone 7 Plus on the MacRumors forums, Reddit, and the Apple Support Communities.

iphone7lineup-800x677.jpg

Phones from other carriers may also be experiencing the same problem, as there are also complaints from some AT&T subscribers. The problem appears to be limited to Apple's newest devices, with those who have earlier iPhones not reporting connectivity issues. As described by Reddit user Kangalex:
wow same exact issue. i have noticed that when my phone is out of wifi range, it will never automatically connect to LTE but rather get stuck at 3G until I put into airplane mode to reset the network connection. its really annoying and verizon swapped out the sim for me but mentioned that if this issue keeps happening they will replace the device for me. was starting to think that it was my phone that was defective but looks like a software issue =\
Affected customers are seeing their LTE connectivity cut out at regular intervals, leaving them stuck with 3G/1X speeds or no signal at all. This can cause calls to disconnect when VoLTE is in use in addition to interrupting data usage. Turning off VoLTE can avoid dropped calls, but it does not address the underlying problem.

There appears to be no clear fix for the issue, and customers have been complaining of being routed between Apple and Verizon with neither company offering a solution. Restarts, sim swapping, turning off HD voice, and putting the iPhone in Airplane Mode appear to resolve the issue temporarily, but it returns. Apple and Verizon have swapped out devices for some affected customers, but their new devices have the same problem.

Customers who are experiencing the issue say that the problem is exacerbated by switching between towers, as one might do when traveling in a moving car, and that it is not fixed in iOS 10.0.2 or in the iOS 10.1 beta.

One customer was told it was an Apple software issue, and according to several others, Verizon is aware of the problem and is working with Apple on a fix.

Update: While Verizon users have generated the highest number of complaints about this issue, customers on other carriers around the world have also experienced it.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone 7 Users Afflicted With LTE Connectivity Problems

Reactions: massimots

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
We haven't had any such issues and I can't imagine it's a large issue if only "dozens" aka 24 or 36 people out of the many millions who bought one aren't complaining about it.

Reactions: RansZ28

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
T-Mobile's issue a couple of weeks ago was solely due to a buggy carrier update (25.1) which was resolved once they pushed the 25.2 version. Will be interesting to see what the solution ends up being for this one.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I have the iPhone 7 Plus with AT&T and I have been seeing similar issues. I have iOS 10.1 beta installed on both my 7 Plus and my 6S Plus and the wifi and LTE speed tests are different on both devices. I have noticed that the download speeds on my 7 Plus are around 15 to 20 Mbps slower than on the 6S Plus. The issues gets much worse the farther I move from my cable wifi modem. The test results were the same for both wifi and LTE. The issue was only temporarily fixed by resetting my cable modem and returned shortly after. It almost seems like there is an issue with the antenna but I'm hopeful this can be resolved via a software update.

I will also note that the signal seems to complete drop at times and then will come back a few minutes later.

thespacekid

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
I had that happen years ago (iOS4?) where it would drop down to like 2E? likely due to low signal strength but wouldn't go to a faster connection unless you went to airplane mode and back.

TonyE120

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016

A growing number of Verizon subscribers are complaining about a serious issue that causes them to regularly lose LTE connectivity on their iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices, suggesting a major bug that needs to be resolved by either Apple or Verizon.

There are dozens of complaints from Verizon customers who have purchased either an iPhone 7 or an iPhone 7 Plus on the MacRumors forums, Reddit, and the Apple Support Communities.

iphone7lineup-800x677.jpg

Phones from other carriers may also be experiencing the same problem, as there are also complaints from some AT&T subscribers. The problem appears to be limited to Apple's newest devices, with those who have earlier iPhones not reporting connectivity issues. As described by Reddit user Kangalex:Affected customers are seeing their LTE connectivity cut out at regular intervals, leaving them stuck with 3G/1X speeds or no signal at all. This can cause calls to disconnect when VoLTE is in use in addition to interrupting data usage. Turning off VoLTE can avoid dropped calls, but it does not address the underlying problem.

There appears to be no clear fix for the issue, and customers have been complaining of being routed between Apple and Verizon with neither company offering a solution. Restarts, sim swapping, turning off HD voice, and putting the iPhone in Airplane Mode appear to resolve the issue temporarily, but it returns. Apple and Verizon have swapped out devices for some affected customers, but their new devices have the same problem.

Customers who are experiencing the issue say that the problem is exacerbated by switching between towers, as one might do when traveling in a moving car, and that it is not fixed in iOS 10.0.2 or in the iOS 10.1 beta.

One customer was told it was an Apple software issue, and according to several others, Verizon is aware of the problem and is working with Apple on a fix.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone 7 Users Afflicted With LTE Connectivity Problems
I just recived a iPhone 7 Plus 256 gig (AT&T) and when I first booted the phone it read only 4g and in my area we have very strong LTE connection. SOLUTION- just hard reset the iPhone by holding the volume down and lock button for 10 seconds. Worked for me and have not had an issue since then. I am also on 10.0.1. Hope this helps some people out!!

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Once again, it seems like I've dodged the bullet with this device. After having problems with the 6 Plus and 6s, my Jet Black iPhone 7 on Verizon is phenomenal. I'll watch out for this, but so far I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

scurry126

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
I've been having that problem today too. I have an Verizon iPhone 6 on iOS 10.0.2 haven't been able to connect to any cell tower all day. I contacted Verizon and they plan on sending me a new SIM card tonight. :/

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
My VZW 7 seems to be plagued with a constant one dot of service, even in places where I had 5 dots on my iPhone 6. My speed tests have also been lower for wifi and cellular.

triscuitbiscuit

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
AT&T here with 7Plus. It happens to me to- but I notice it gets stuck more if I am using it while it loses LTE connectivity rather than losing it while its sleeping. Let's say I am in a building with poor connection that is like 1 bar 4G. If I step outside (where I know there is 5 bars LTE), it stays stuck in 4G. But if I am on the train in between stations and don't use it, it connects to LTE once I get to the next station.

Reactions: realeric

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
I've had this issue on Verizon since I switched to them with my 5S. I get 3G in the building I work in, and LTE when I leave the building. My phone will NOT switch away from 3G when I leave the building without toggling airplane mode, ever. With my 5S, 6, 6S+, and now 7.

CDMA 3G is a joke, even with full bars trying to load any data that isn't iMessage might as well say no connection. I'm planning on switching to T-Mobile for unlimited data and HSPA+ when not on LTE, and if coverage isn't adequate I'm going to AT&T. Hopefully Verizon just turns their 3G network off and replaces all the towers with LTE.

jerry16

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
across the universe
I've been having this problem for a long time. My 6S+ did it too. Super annoying and it usually required flipping airplane mode on and off to fix.

Also, although anecdotal, my experience hasn't been limited to just when leaving WiFi. My iPhone(s) have ALWAYS struggled to pick up faster available connections.

Reactions: DonniRJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.