Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
If you had to choose only one, Magpul or CS grip, which one and why?

After using it around town today, honestly, I would choose the CandyShell Grip.

It's incredibly grippy and felt very secure in my hands. The buttons are very responsive and clicky, rivaling the Magpul. The fit is fantastic. If the phone suffered an unfortunate drop, it should be very well protected. I think it looks great as well. The grip is what sets the CS Grip apart from others I've tried.

Two small cons.

The back is going to scratch easily. I'm fine with this, but if you're OCD that might be bothersome. Choosing a lighter color should help make the scratching less noticeable.

It's not the easiest case to install and remove. If someone believes their phone is a delicate flower, I could see them freaking out removing the phone from this case. Haha! I had no issues.

I still would encourage you to give the Magpul a try. It's an excellent case and for just $15, it's a better value than some of the more expensive cases.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
these are mostly the same problems I have...
could you please review the element ion case then?

I bought a Black Ion from Amazon a couple of months ago. $49.95 price and Amazon was the seller. All seemed legit.

The sides of the case were very loose. They even bowed out. This is something that I found other users also complaining about. I sent it back the same day for a refund.

I emailed Element to ask if Amazon was a reseller and the answer from them was basically that they couldn't confirm or deny... All really odd..

I am sure some fit better than the one I purchased though.

----------

After using it around town today, honestly, I would choose the CandyShell Grip.

It's incredibly grippy and felt very secure in my hands. The buttons are very responsive and clicky, rivaling the Magpul. The fit is fantastic. If the phone suffered an unfortunate drop, it should be very well protected. I think it looks great as well. The grip is what sets the CS Grip apart from others I've tried.

Two small cons.

The back is going to scratch easily. I'm fine with this, but if you're OCD that might be bothersome. Choosing a lighter color should help make the scratching less noticeable.

It's not the easiest case to install and remove. If someone believes their phone is a delicate flower, I could see them freaking out removing the phone from this case. Haha! I had no issues.

I still would encourage you to give the Magpul a try. It's an excellent case and for just $15, it's a better value than some of the more expensive cases.

I was in Home Depot feeling really clumsy with my 6 + CS grip this weekend. Dropped it from about 4 feet on the concrete and it landed face down with a big smack. No damage at all to the phone or the case.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I was in Home Depot feeling really clumsy with my 6 + CS grip this weekend. Dropped it from about 4 feet on the concrete and it landed face down with a big smack. No damage at all to the phone or the case.

Nice story! I'm really enjoying the CS Grip on my 6+.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
I am too. I've had LifeProofs, Otterboxes, and most recently a ton of the Apple leather cases for the 5s..found them on clearance at Staples for 3 dollars a piece..no lie lol.

Most recently I ordered a Spigen Ultra Hybrid Clear with Champagne Gold edges...It is coming this week. I like the clear back, but didn't want a black frame on it...Spigen was the only one with a gold frame I could find and the clear cases got great reviews and people claim they don't turn yellow or scratch as much as other brands do.

:)

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I am too. I've had LifeProofs, Otterboxes, and most recently a ton of the Apple leather cases for the 5s..found them on clearance at Staples for 3 dollars a piece..no lie lol.

Most recently I ordered a Spigen Ultra Hybrid Clear with Champagne Gold edges...It is coming this week. I like the clear back, but didn't want a black frame on it...Spigen was the only one with a gold frame I could find and the clear cases got great reviews and people claim they don't turn yellow or scratch as much as other brands do.

:)

Let me know how you like it!! I like Spigen but have read mixed reviews on them for the 6.

MC355

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Am I the only obsessed with buying cases?

How's the polycarbonate part after you dropped it?

I'm currently using Griffin Identity, the back plate has started to show some cracks which means I'd probably have to get a better case soon. If Survivor Core couldn't save your screen (protector) then probably the Identity will do worse.

Polycarbonate part is fine. But the back scratches easily.

I even tried the Griffin Survivor slim and loved how it felt but it was so damn ugly and the deal breaker is it picked up lint and hair like crazy. After a while the case just looked gross so gonna have to return it

Tried the Otterbox defender for a day and way too bulky

I'm using the tech21 Evo Mesh right now and really liking it so far

milesc3

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
Yeah know what you mean. The only real noticeable difference for me is the bigger lip around the screen. No issues with the screen being impacted if dropped. I do like my CS grip too.

I like the looks of the Mighty Shell and would buy one except many of the individual reviews say it's really difficult to take off. Is this really true?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I like the looks of the Mighty Shell and would buy one except many of the individual reviews say it's really difficult to take off. Is this really true?

Just a difficult as most cases. Speck has a short video on youtube that says to pop of three corners. Works for me but it is difficult - don't be afraid of bending the iPhone.

milesc3

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
Just a difficult as most cases. Speck has a short video on youtube that says to pop of three corners. Works for me but it is difficult - don't be afraid of bending the iPhone.

Thanks, that's good information! I was looking at the NuGuard KX as one of the reviews said it was very comparable to the Mighty Shell that was a bit easier to remove. I tried the CS Grip and liked it except the rubber strips were kinda of uncomfortable in my hand. I currently have an Otterbox defender that I want to replace. I also have A Magpul Field case that I like, but it just doesn't feel as though it offers quite enough protection for my Iphone 6 Gold 64 Gig.

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Thanks, that's good information! I was looking at the NuGuard KX as one of the reviews said it was very comparable to the Mighty Shell that was a bit easier to remove. I tried the CS Grip and liked it except the rubber strips were kinda of uncomfortable in my hand. I currently have an Otterbox defender that I want to replace. I also have A Magpul Field case that I like, but it just doesn't feel as though it offers quite enough protection for my Iphone 6 Gold 64 Gig.

The CS Grip isn't the easiet to remove. I would think removing the MS would be comparable.

The NuGuard looks interesting, but I'm not a fan of the Apple logo cutout.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

My other case I use is the Tech21 Evo Mesh purchased at Apple. Provides good protection and is very easy to take off.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
@scjr: Now that you have the CandyShell Grip for a little bit, how do you compare the size and weight between that and the Magpul?

I've switched to using the Zoogue this week and live the slim feel of the case. It's a lot more protection than my minimalistic case, but obviously not as protective as the CandyShell Grip. But as in your impressions for the Zoogue, I'm also not sure about actual drop protection.

I'm still curious about the Magpul...but if it's about as large as the CandyShell Grip and almost as heavy, then I'll just stick to the Zoogue as my main case.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
@scjr: Now that you have the CandyShell Grip for a little bit, how do you compare the size and weight between that and the Magpul?

I've switched to using the Zoogue this week and live the slim feel of the case. It's a lot more protection than my minimalistic case, but obviously not as protective as the CandyShell Grip. But as in your impressions for the Zoogue, I'm also not sure about actual drop protection.

I'm still curious about the Magpul...but if it's about as large as the CandyShell Grip and almost as heavy, then I'll just stick to the Zoogue as my main case.

Maybe balance the degree of protection you want along with your general enjoyment handling and looking at the case. Zoogue had a video somewhere of the owner tossing an iPhone around with his case on it. Both CS Grip and Magpul are heavier and thicker than the Social Pro. If you want more protection and don't mind a heavier, thicker case, the Magpul is less expensive that CS Grip, even if you score CS Grip on a sale. I like CS Grip, but I also like Magpul. Both are grippy in different ways; both sport remarkable clicky buttons. Magpul is way easier to remove if you tend to swap cases out periodically.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013

I think it's worth the $15 to have the Magpul as part of your collection. The CS Grip and Magpul are relatively close in size and weight.

Like FM was saying, there's a video on YT that shows an iPhone 6 being tossed around with ZooGue case. Here it is: http://youtu.be/LgC43ftXcW8

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
Maybe balance the degree of protection you want along with your general enjoyment handling and looking at the case. Zoogue had a video somewhere of the owner tossing an iPhone around with his case on it. Both CS Grip and Magpul are heavier and thicker than the Social Pro. If you want more protection and don't mind a heavier, thicker case, the Magpul is less expensive that CS Grip, even if you score CS Grip on a sale. I like CS Grip, but I also like Magpul. Both are grippy in different ways; both sport remarkable clicky buttons. Magpul is way easier to remove if you tend to swap cases out periodically.

I think it's worth the $15 to have the Magpul as part of your collection. The CS Grip and Magpul are relatively close in size and weight.

Like FM was saying, there's a video on YT that shows an iPhone 6 being tossed around with ZooGue case. Here it is: http://youtu.be/LgC43ftXcW8

Thanks for the video. I was afraid the Magpul was going to be around the same size and weight as the CandyShell Grip. For now, the Magpul will go into my wish list. It'll be my next case purchase when I get the urge to try something new.. ;-)

That and I haven't settled on a color for the Magpul. Black, dark grey or dark blue...

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for the video. I was afraid the Magpul was going to be around the same size and weight as the CandyShell Grip. For now, the Magpul will go into my wish list. It'll be my next case purchase when I get the urge to try something new.. ;-)

That and I haven't settled on a color for the Magpul. Black, dark grey or dark blue...

Side by side pic of the CS Grip and Magpul. Hope it helps. :)

image.jpg1_zpsvpqpyvz2.jpg

Reactions: VESELcase.com

Yester5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had the CS Grip before...did not take long for the rubber "grippy" things to start to break down from pocket wear. Magpul is so much better, IMHO.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Hard to beat the CS grip.

I'm impressed.

The Magpul and CS Grip are different cases. Both offer their own positives.

I've had the CS Grip before...did not take long for the rubber "grippy" things to start to break down from pocket wear. Magpul is so much better, IMHO.

I rarely pocket my phone, but how quickly do they wear out?

Did you use the grip on a 6 or 6+?

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
Side by side pic of the CS Grip and Magpul. Hope it helps. :)

Thanks for the pic! It really helps.

My strips are still there, but it's started feeling slimy now. It's still grippy, but slightly slimy.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Thanks for the pic! It really helps.

My strips are still there, but it's started feeling slimy now. It's still grippy, but slightly slimy.

I am finding this as well. It's as if the oils from my hand aren't going away any longer. Seem to linger on the case. Thinking of going back to my Thule

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.