Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Hey Guys,

Anyone having digital crown issues? Mine on launch day was smooth as silk, but after a 5 mile run yesterday, it looks like the crown is experiencing alot of resistance, and feels very harsh/something is stuck inside.

I've not hit the crown on anything, not sure what the problem is. I've made an appt at the genius bar today, i'll let anyone know how it goes.

Btw - sport 42mm.

p.s - this thing is pretty warm when charging. I'm wondering if maybe it was the heat overnight that might have done something to a seal/gasket?

Anyone with the same issue?

Dnice25

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Philadelphia,PA
Hi There - yes, I just noticed this same thing this morning. I received my watch on Friday it was smooth as heck. Haven't spilled anything on it, exercised with it, or even gotten it wet, but this morning the digital crown felt like it was stuck and then it's been happening more and more throughout the day. It feels stuck and then clicks, then becomes smooth. Please let me know if you find anything out!

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
^^ Yup, exact same way mine feels. Takes a lot of effort to move it if I don't use it for 10-15min. Just feels stuck until you use pressure to move the crown.

Will let you know what apple says today.

Dnice25

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Philadelphia,PA
Interesting - Thanks for sharing and looking forward to what they say. I might try to run to my nearest store and see what they can tell me. Will report back as well!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I'm experiencing light stickiness everytime I go to turn the crown, but it smoothens out shortly after. And this repeats itself after the crown isn't touched for a few seconds. It wasn't like this on day one. Mine doesn't take considerable pressure to turn though, you just feel that it's sticky at first as if there was a bit too much friction.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did you wash or rinse the watch after your run? Could be mineral deposits or salt from sweat settling in. I just rinsed my watch off this morning. Seems fine so far.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Looks like I am without an apple watch for 3-5 days. Took it to apple and the first person didn't notice anything. We got a person who manned the personal appt for the last few weeks.

He said he deff felt more resistance than normal. Sigh. Now it has to be shipped to Apple to be fixed.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Mine started doing the same thing on the 2nd day before I got rid of it. This things is a mess, problems all over the place. They had so much time to refine everything from announcement to launch, sad.

Reactions: JD92

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I find that if I don't use the digital crown for a couple of hours, then the first click works, but doesn't give a positive click. After that, it's fine. Been like that since day one.

I know nothing about this sort of thing, so I may just sound like a complete idiot now, but I was wondering if it was anything to do with the waterproof seal. Maybe it's getting "stuck" after a few hours, and just needs a little momentum to unstick it on the first click.

If I remember in the morning, I'll try rotating it before giving it a first click.

rolexwatch

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
Do you guys realise that the crown has a electrical resistance? When you scroll to the end of a list, it should get harder to scroll. Maybe something is wrong with the software which controls the resistance.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
3-5 days for a repair is nothing. But i am really lucky i ordered my watch three days ago and I'm already getting it on may 20 to 28 and people who ordered on launch day are still waiting for theirs to be proccesed. I saw people on the other thread who had the apple watch edition but didnt make an unboxing video ;(

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Do you guys realise that the crown has a electrical resistance? When you scroll to the end of a list, it should get harder to scroll. Maybe something is wrong with the software which controls the resistance.

I thought I'd read that somewhere...but can't say I've experienced it.

robert109

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
I feel the same thing! The digital crown is not fluid as it was when I first saw the watch. Looking forward for your response from genius bar!:D

Dnice25

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Philadelphia,PA
So, I made a Genius Bar appointment yesterday and they said that I was the first person with a watch to bring it in, so they havent heard of anything like what I was describing with the digital crown. They said that they can send it out, but it would be at least a week before i would get it back. The Genius made note of my problem and we decided that I would hold onto it for a few more days to see if it has resolved itself. TBH it hasn't happened as much since yesterday, but we'll see. I'll still keep you posted OP and good luck!

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Digital Crown stuck/sticky?

Well started experiencing same issue with my sport. Bad enough that double clicking was almost impossible. Took in today to Genius and three diff people came over and tested. All said was not normal. But I decided to send back now. Will be interesting test to see how much I miss it. Bigger concern is why and perhaps the sport vs ss and possibility of it keeps happening.

Ps. We compared to four diff demo units and all had same tactile feel except mine.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Judging from a teardown versus Apple advertisements, the Sport model apparently has a much less robust crown bracket than the SS model.

On the Sport, it's a thin bent piece of metal, versus the thicker SS version:

crown_brackets.png

Perhaps the bracket is bent slightly wrong on some Sports, or as you suggested, some foreign matter fell into it.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Judging from a teardown versus Apple advertisements, the Sport model apparently has a much less robust crown bracket than the SS model.

View attachment 547262

Perhaps the bracket is bent slightly wrong on some Sports, or as you suggested, some foreign matter fell into it.

You can't compare a real life photo from the teardown to a render from Apples site. Inaccurate.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Judging from the teardowns and Apple's digital crown patent application, there's no such braking mechanism.

Instead, it's a feeling caused by a clever haptic vibration.

You can't compare a real life photo from the teardown to a render from Apples site. Inaccurate.

You have a point that Apple's render on the right is known to be a bit inaccurate (or at least, really smoothed out to make it look better).

However, it appears that the people having trouble are using Sports, for which the teardown photo on the left is valid.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010

View attachment 547262

Oh wow, night and day. Glad I went SS.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
I started getting this issue today. The crown has been fine to press but the scrolling resistance doubled. After using it for a while it goes back to normal then gets difficult again. It's quite random. I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow.

Note: I haven't done any exercise with the watch, sweated in it, or even got it wet.

Last edited:

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
Same problem since this morning for me. Weird as the sticky things is related on how long you DO NOT touch the crown: If I do not use it for like 10min it get sticky/stuck.
At first I was thinking that my skin was in contact with the crown creating friction but not at all! weird thing.

I notice that rincing the crown with a bit of water eliminate the problem for few hours (1-2) but it comes back.

Did not make any sport/shock, just wearing it normally

specik

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Brooklyn, NY

View attachment 547262

You do realize that the innards of the Sport, Watch, and Edition are EXACTLY the same, right? The marketing photo you posted comparing it to the tear down photo is inaccurate and misleading. The inside of the stainless steel watch looks exactly like the sport. Don't spread misinformation please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.