Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
If you're experiencing problems with accessing WiFi networks at your university or college or high school or wherever you go, please, send feedback to Apple. Ask for TTLS, ask for 802.1X, ask for whatever, just give them feedback.

We got petitions going around but nothing is as good as sending actual feedback to their team.

iPod Touch Feedback site

If Apple stresses the use of WiFi, then why limit that experience for users?

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

jamesybsu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
I would send feedback, but my Ipod works excellent with Ball State University's wireless network :)

Edit: Although Mail currently does not work with our Exchange Server, but I hear apple's working on that :)

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
Great idea! I'll do the same!:) But do you think they could do this with just an update? Or is there hardware that would have to be changed?

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
I want to start this on the Apple support forums but I dont know how to start a ****in topic.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Great idea to send feedback, but it doesn't really help if your college uses 'WEP' and doesn't tell you the key, even for 'educational' purposes. ¬_¬ (Like mine). :)

I'll send feedback (now) for 802.1X support though. I want that. Definately.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I just talked to a tech guy at my school and he said within the next week or so they're going to be demoing a whole new wireless network that will work with iPhones and touches. It can't come soon enough!

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
No, i don't think so. That's why people should send feedback to Apple directly. It's there for a reason. It's not their to look pretty. :rolleyes:

Soooo keep em coming! Thanks! :D

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
good for you... but already frustrating for us

Since I can only assume you're referring to my comment:
Talk to the tech people at your school, they'll listen to you. iPhones and touches are popular and as more people get them they may well put in a new network. My school already had a wireless PDA network but you have to have Windows or Palm to use it.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
There has got to be more people who have this problem! Come on everyone!

Your university doesn't use MAC Address security? I mean, what more do you need? Sure, people can change their MAC addresses, but if the address isn't in the network, it's useless.

Other styles of security is silly to me.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
Your university doesn't use MAC Address security? I mean, what more do you need? Sure, people can change their MAC addresses, but if the address isn't in the network, it's useless.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about lol. I am not that computer savvy, all I know are Final Cut Pro and some other stuff about macs and pc's lol.

Please elaborate!:)

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
A MAC address is not even the issue. It's about the 802.1x protocol. It's about extensible authentication protocol (EAP). For example, my university uses EAP-TTLS. No iPT or iPhone (from what I can see) recognizes it.

Thanks and send feedback! :D

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Great idea to send feedback, but it doesn't really help if your college uses 'WEP' and doesn't tell you the key, even for 'educational' purposes. ¬_¬ (Like mine). :)

I'll send feedback (now) for 802.1X support though. I want that. Definately.

What does help is that WEP sucks and can be cracked in about 20 minutes on any standard laptop today. Get the key once your laptop has cracked it and type it in to your iPod Touch. I will not, of course, give links to WEP crackers on the forums, as they are illegal, but Google is your friend.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007

Haha. The lack of encryption on the wireless network seems silly to me. Just cause you can talk to the router doesnt mean your secure. You can pass stuff but all your information is still unencrypted.

Silly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.