Students with iPod Touch!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LouTreize, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LouTreize macrumors regular

If you're experiencing problems with accessing WiFi networks at your university or college or high school or wherever you go, please, send feedback to Apple. Ask for TTLS, ask for 802.1X, ask for whatever, just give them feedback.

We got petitions going around but nothing is as good as sending actual feedback to their team.

iPod Touch Feedback site

If Apple stresses the use of WiFi, then why limit that experience for users?

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

2. LouTreize thread starter macrumors regular

3. jamesybsu macrumors regular

I would send feedback, but my Ipod works excellent with Ball State University's wireless network :)

Edit: Although Mail currently does not work with our Exchange Server, but I hear apple's working on that :)

4. Chris F macrumors regular

I did. We have 802.1X + TTLS here at work and I cant use the wireless. :(

5. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Great idea! I'll do the same!:) But do you think they could do this with just an update? Or is there hardware that would have to be changed?

6. LouTreize thread starter macrumors regular

Ah that's great, thanks a lot! Keep em coming!! :D

7. LouTreize thread starter macrumors regular

I wish i knew how many feedbacks were sent out...

8. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I want to start this on the Apple support forums but I dont know how to start a ****in topic.

9. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Great idea to send feedback, but it doesn't really help if your college uses 'WEP' and doesn't tell you the key, even for 'educational' purposes. ¬_¬ (Like mine). :)

I'll send feedback (now) for 802.1X support though. I want that. Definately.

10. LouTreize thread starter macrumors regular

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I just talked to a tech guy at my school and he said within the next week or so they're going to be demoing a whole new wireless network that will work with iPhones and touches. It can't come soon enough!

12. triela macrumors member

Just a quick aside: Has there ever been anything, ever, on petitiononline.com that has served any more purpose than rubbing on a genie lamp and wishing really, really hard?

13. LouTreize thread starter macrumors regular

No, i don't think so. That's why people should send feedback to Apple directly. It's there for a reason. It's not their to look pretty. :rolleyes:

Soooo keep em coming! Thanks! :D

14. elfusca macrumors newbie

good for you... but already frustrating for us

15. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Since I can only assume you're referring to my comment:
    Talk to the tech people at your school, they'll listen to you. iPhones and touches are popular and as more people get them they may well put in a new network. My school already had a wireless PDA network but you have to have Windows or Palm to use it.

16. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

There has got to be more people who have this problem! Come on everyone!

17. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Your university doesn't use MAC Address security? I mean, what more do you need? Sure, people can change their MAC addresses, but if the address isn't in the network, it's useless.

Other styles of security is silly to me.

18. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about lol. I am not that computer savvy, all I know are Final Cut Pro and some other stuff about macs and pc's lol.

Please elaborate!:)

19. LouTreize thread starter macrumors regular

A MAC address is not even the issue. It's about the 802.1x protocol. It's about extensible authentication protocol (EAP). For example, my university uses EAP-TTLS. No iPT or iPhone (from what I can see) recognizes it.

Thanks and send feedback! :D

20. pleb macrumors newbie

yea i need to use a cisco vpn client to get on wifi at uni..

21. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

My university uses 802.1x and thus my iPt is useless other than around my dorm..

I guess we had VPN at some point, but my iPt doesn't recognize the server for some reason...

22. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

What does help is that WEP sucks and can be cracked in about 20 minutes on any standard laptop today. Get the key once your laptop has cracked it and type it in to your iPod Touch. I will not, of course, give links to WEP crackers on the forums, as they are illegal, but Google is your friend.

23. elcid macrumors 6502

Haha. The lack of encryption on the wireless network seems silly to me. Just cause you can talk to the router doesnt mean your secure. You can pass stuff but all your information is still unencrypted.

Silly

24. emb531 macrumors member

you can setup a vpn from ur ipod in settings>general>network

Try it out and see if it works