Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want to see a 4.5 inch screen on the next iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 38.0%
  • I can't decide yet, let me spend some time with the HD2 or Evo 4G phones

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I feel that this topic should be a poll of all macrumors users. Do you want to see a 4.5" screen on the next iPhone?

Apple could continue to sell/manufacture the 2010 iPhone HD/4G for $99 for people who want that, and manufacture a 4.5" inch screen alongside it priced at $199 or $299 for everyone else.

Going with this size would also give Apple the room to incorporate a slightly bigger battery and thus actually would improve the battery life.

-----Below Was Added Dec 22, 2010, a year after the poll closed--------

Now that the poll is closed, the numbers are there for any one to judge. 56% of the people here want a 4.5 inch screen, 38% do not. In otherwords, for every 4 people that don't want it, 6 people do. That's is a significant majority. And I'm certain the poll would be even more lopsided if it asked how many people wanted a 4" screen on the next iPhone.

A bigger screen makes routine tasks much more plesant, browsing the web, reading ebooks, watching videos, playing games, everything looks much nicer on a bigger screen.
I get not wanting the phone to be larger. But it actually wouldn't have to be...

I worked some mock-ups in my cad program and a 4" screen will fit (in the iPhone, without making it bigger):

attachment.php

If Apple cuts down on the amount of room the bezel takes, the screen could be made 4 inches without making the phone any bigger.

It would be like having to choose between two otherwise identical tvs, both with the exact same size and shape, with the only difference being that one is 13" with a really thick bezel, and the other is 17" with a slimmer bezel, and opting to go with the 13" inch version with the thick bezel. There is no rational reason why someone wouldn't atleast want a 4" screen if the phone remains roughly the same size and shape.

The advantages of a 4 inch screen are numerous. Typing, websites, ebooks, emails, videos, games would all look and be much easier to use with a 4 inch screen. The iPhone, once cutting edge, currently has the smallest screen of any popular smartphone. I suggest playing around with smartphones with 4 inch screens to see just how much more pleasant a bigger screen can make browsing, book reading, gaming and video playback. The current iPhone has a large bezel that could be done away with to accommodate a 4 inch screen without increasing the overall size of the phone much at all. The EVO 4g has a much smaller bezel on the top and bottom than the iPhone and is perfectly comfortable to hold inspite of this.

First, take a look at this picture, comparing the iPhone to the HD2 which offers a 4.3" screen, and yet manages to be approximately the same size and weight as the iPhone, while offering superior battery life!

Ignore the OS on the HTC HD2 and just compare the screen size between it (4.3") and the iPhone (3.5").
4140276139_72c2ebe213_o.jpg

The pic also depicts the subtle difference in size. Not much at all.

"From my experience, it's far easier to use the on screen keyboard, browse online, read pdfs, emails and e-books, and watch movies with an extra inch of diagonal real estate. Everything just looks nicer, especially games, websites read easier when the text isn't quite so tiny, and movies feel more immersive. It's shocking how big a difference that extra inch makes." -iPhonedHome

Here is a picture of a mock iPhone that maintains the same identical height as the iPhone 4 (it is wider though) while managing to pack a whopping 4.5" screen...

new-iphone-concept.jpg

It's not the thinness of these phone designs that is impressive, it's the manner in which the designs maximized the amount of screen space on the front of the phones.

A bigger screen makes routine tasks much more plesant, browsing the web, reading ebooks, watching videos, playing games, everything looks much nicer on a bigger screen.

With all the new media apps coming this yr and into next, it's ridiculous to watch all that on a 3.5 inch screen no matter how high the resolution. I'm a media guy and would much rather watch all that hi-res on a 4.whatever screen rather than a 3.5. At least sell two phones. One for the soon to be minority 3.5ers, and one for the rest of us. Why waste all that valuable iPhone space on those black bars on the side of the screen?

It's not only tech geeks that enjoy watching videos on the iPhone, browsing the web on the iPhone, reading ebooks on the iPhone, reading maps on the iPhone, looking at and showing off pics on the iPhone, all tasks that are made substantially easier with a bigger screen. I am willing to bet that a general sample of all iPhone owners would show similar stats, with most wanting a bigger screen that makes these tasks easier and more pleasent.

Last edited:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
All right, we will give this one more try, but we do expect everyone, including the OP, to stay on topic, avoid insults and name calling, and generally follow forum rules.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Thank you.

I think there is a reasonable chance of this happening. The HD2, Evo 4G and rumored HD3 offer such a screen all while retaining dimensions and battery life near identical to the iPhone's, and I have no doubt that many other smart phones will follow likewise.

I have no doubt that as more and more people see these devices first hand, they will desire such a screen for their iPhone as well.

So it's just a matter of time for public pressure to build before Apple follows suit.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
I would love a larger screen for the new iPhone. I mean, now. it's kinda ok, but since Apple is adding iBooks to the iPhone, it's nearly required that they make a larger screen. With the current amount of touch games that use virtual joysticks (which sucks btw, but that's another story), you can barely see enough of the screen when you're moving around. I don't have that large of hands too, and they get in the way.
I think what Apple should do is move the ear piece up more. I don't like having to lay the whole screen across one side of my face when talking. Then make the Home button slightly smaller. That should allow some more room.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
A larger screen would be great. Doesn't even have to be as large an EVO or HD2. I'm sure apple is probably working on something for next year or the year after that. Make people who purchase the phone coming out this year all have to upgrade again next year.

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
I would be happy with an increase that doesn't also increase the form factor, which allows limited room for a larger screen.

Using the iPhone with one hand comfortably is more important than a larger screen to me.

If they kept the size of the handset the same but increased the surface area with display I would certainly welcome it.

I certainly do not want a larger screen if it means a larger device.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I would be happy with an increase that doesn't also increase the form factor, which allows limited room for a larger screen.

Using the iPhone with one hand comfortably is more important than a larger screen to me.

If they kept the size of the handset the same but increased the surface area with display I would certainly welcome it.

I certainly do not want a larger screen if it means a larger device.

Exactly.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
bigger the screen the better IMO, however i think 4 inches would do nicely as it would be able to fit snugly within the current front screen design. anything bigger and they would have to alter the size of the actual phone, i think its a perfect size at the moment.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I have an HD2. It's too big. It's really awkward and uncomfortable to hold in certain positions. Reading in bed using one hand is almost impossible.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
If it simply came down to a smaller screen vs a larger screen, then yes.

But we all know that isn't the case. It'd probably require a larger form factor, which I'm just not willing to accept.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
4" should be the max IMO. 4.3/4.5 is just too much.

Keep iPhone HD's size and try to fit as big of a screen as possible, which should be around 3.7", maybe 4".

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
that phone is huge. the iphone is already a brick and i dont need a concrete slab. if they took the already none used space and turned that into screen sure. but the phone doesnt need to be bigger

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I have an HD2. It's too big. It's really awkward and uncomfortable to hold in certain positions. Reading in bed using one hand is almost impossible.
What are you doing with the other hand? I had no problem when I messed with the HD2 using 1 hand. I guess it depends on how big your hand is.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My hands really cover and press on the 'black parts' of the iPhone when I'm playing many games that use the landscape orientation.

I'm not willing to give that up like that other phone apparently did. I think it would make those kinds of games much more difficult.

So in that case a larger-screened iPhone WOULD be much larger.

And that's not something I'd like.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
My hands really cover and press on the 'black parts' of the iPhone when I'm playing many games that use the landscape orientation.

I'm not willing to give that up like that other phone apparently did. I think it would make those kinds of games much more difficult.

So in that case a larger-screened iPhone WOULD be much larger.

And that's not something I'd like.

Exactly. In the first mockup shown, where would you rest your fingers while, say, watching a video or whatever, or even in between texts? There's absolutely no non-screen real estate there. I do wish that the iPhone had a little less "wasted" area as it stands now, but to eradicate it completely just wouldn't be ergonomic.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
I've seen the HTC HD2 and played with it for a few hours. It is definitely NOT too big. I would definitely want my next iPhone to have the same screen size. It would definitely enhance user experience in Web browsing, RSS news applications, video watching, maps applications, photo browsing, eBook reading, word documents, and spreadsheet handling.

For those of us who think that it is too big, I think you will find yourself addicted to it very quickly and would find it hard to come back to the tiny 3.5 inch screen once again.

The existing small screen size is one of the factors that prompts me to explore Android at the moment, because Android offers the opportunity to use devices with bigger screen. Of course, this along will not be enough to drive me to Android, but it is a compelling attraction. Apple should seriously consider meeting the challenge in the next model. So far, the poll result shows that majority of us do prefer bigger screen size, it would definitely be something Apple should take note of.

Torq

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
For one thing I just do not want to carry a bigger device all the time. It doesn't matter if it is not "much" bigger, since ideally I'd like the thing to be smaller than it is now.

Beyond that, a screen bigger than 3.5 makes it impossible for me to comfortably use the phone properly one-handed and still maintain any kind of decent grip on it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So far, the poll result shows that majority of us do prefer bigger screen size, it would definitely be something Apple should take note of.

Consider the source.

I know people in real life who don't own the current iPhone because they think it's too big.

None of those people are here voting in this poll.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
I have problem understanding people who want even smaller screen as it is obvious to me that user experience would be seriously compromised although it improves portability. Ah well, each to his own. Perhaps Apple should have both a 3.5 inch and 4.3 inch screen size next year?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't believe that a screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio could be increased more than about .25" diagonal without requiring an increase in device width which I most certainly do not want. The only size increase I could see would be an eventual move to a 16:9 aspect ratio. That I could probably get behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.