0.55% figure misleading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bodhi395, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to take issue with Steve Jobs saying that since only 0.55% of iPhone users actually called applecare, there is really no problem.

I think the reason more did not call, is they all read all the articles posted endlessly online and knew what the problem was, so there was no reason for them to call. That's how I was, I had read all about the issue online, so when it happened after I got my iPhone, I never called applecare, since there would be no reason to. Also, most people nowadays don't call up places because they can simply go online to the Apple Help webpage and get answers. So this 0.55% called figure is pretty meaningless in my opinion.

2. dcsatt macrumors member

That's the problem with unfounded opinions and the Internet. One person relies on his individual experience and uses his blog or a forum to forward his opinion as representing "most" or the "majority" of millions.

I'll take the hard data (as for my experience, I'm unaffected by the death grip issue).

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That still doesn't explain the 1.7% return rate, less than a third of the 3GS returns. From reading here, you'd think A LOT of people have returned their iP4s. The distractors of this forum are meaningless because they are vastly overrepresented here compared to all iPhone 4 users.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Flaw in the logic, average consumers aren't tech geeks who go researching this stuff online. Its only within the last few days that the actual news media has even picked up on this.

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

OK. Much less returned the phone, so how do you explain that? Seems to go hand-in-hand with the 0.55% stat.

6. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

i have the issue and i was waiting for apple to actually comment on this as i have 30 days to return. That's why some are not counted in the return rates. The numbers do lie!

7. feddy84 macrumors member

ofc they are lower. people love the phone. and this is probably the most known problem in the history of apple. people are sure to wait to see if there comes a fix cause the rest of the product is a marvel. why would they call apple to ask about it when you just need to open your eyes to see it in a newspaper or somewhere els ^^.

8. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

You're entitled to think what you like but, until you have some data to back your thoughts up, they're worth precisely nothing.

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

all statistics are deceiving, it is their nature

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, the press conference was meant to be a damage control to tell the news media to STF U.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The reason only 0.55% of iPhone users actually called AppleCare was because everyone else's iPhone dropped the call before it was answered.

I love my phone, but I couldn't resist.

12. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

does that number include people who went to att or apple stores to complain? misleadeing if it doesn't...

also with the returns... i have a feeling most people will keep the phone, but i still find the return percentage irrelevant right now as many were probably holding out to see what apple said before making the decision.

13. iLisa777 macrumors member

I've believed all along that the people experiencing issues with the i4 are the minority. The 0.55% may not be exact, but I believe that it's close.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Of course there will be a sizable chunk of people who took the time to actually go to the store, but doesn't logic dictate that if support is a phone call away, most will skip the drive?

Humans are lazy. Especially in thought....

15. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

maybe but i also think a lot of people, if they were expecting to exchange their phone, would drive to a store for instant gratification rather than waiting to have one shipped.

16. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your flaw in logic is I think most people who managed to buy the iPhone right away were tech geeks. A huge chunk of the first iPhone's sold were all ordered on the pre-order day in June. How many average customers would know to pre-order a device, except if they follow tech news.

17. chembox macrumors 6502a

Both facts were misleading since: a) the return period has not ended yet and b) those who had the issue did not want to call AppleCare because it was futile since the issue was already escalating.

18. Sledutah macrumors regular

I'd be willing to bet that number will be a lot higher by next week, including mine.

19. malevolant macrumors 6502

I agree. I was actually surprised the % was so high to start with. 1.7% of 3 million phones is 51,000 phones returned. Most people were probably waiting for some kind of response from Apple. I wouldn't be surprised to see that number of returns doubles or triples by this time next week.

20. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

So, I guess those who didn't call can only blame themselves (if they are not satisifed with Jobs' press conference today.). Think about it - if more people called up maybe Apple wouldn't just see this as "every smart phone does this."

Just something to chew on.

21. Absrnd macrumors 6502

Absrnd

and that probably also happened with the introduction of the iPhone 3G, and the 3Gs.

only now the media jumped on it !

I remember it very well at the time of the 3G release, the bars were also not working they way they should, and a update was made, and people were upset and thought it was deceiving, (just google on it), but who else remembers that now?, and how long did it take for users were happy again ?

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you understand how popular the iphone is? I have friends that laugh at me for reading up on the news every day who got it on day one.

iPhone is a CONSUMER device, its huge.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah, but it shouldn't be too bad because the press conference was meant to be a damage control by Apple to tell the press media to STF U so the issue will start dying over the next few weeks.

That doesn't explain the many Joe six packs on launch day.

24. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

The key point here is that 0.55% is a percent based on the of iPhone 4 users, not the number of calls to Apple Care.

For example, supposing only 1% of iPhone 4 users called Apple Care, then half the calls were about the antenna issue. Now consider that Apple Care handles technical issues with every product Apple produces, not just the iPhone.

25. malevolant macrumors 6502

The issue on these forums will die in the next few weeks, but I am sure we will start to see those stupid class action law suits start to gain publicity.

Also that wasn't really damage control...more like confirming that people whom are unhappy are just going to take their phones back.