Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm not able to play back music videos. At first I thought it was an isolated video, but if I select "Music" under the "Categories" dropdown menu and try to play any video, I get "It wasn't possible to find the URL for this video".

Unfortunately, it's the API change at Youtube again - SMTube is broken until they release new source code.

PowerHarryG4

macrumors regular
May 31, 2020
London, England
@PowerHarryG4
It used to depend on the highest quality that the Youtube API would provide to Tonvid.
Remember that SMTube uses Tonvid which is basically a mirrored version of Youtube but not an exact copy.

Do you have this issue with every single video you're trying to playback ?
Are you using Tonvid (the default) in SMTube as your primary video selection channel ?

If you could provide me a link to one such video I could give it a try to deduct wether the issue lies with SMTube, Tonvid or Youtube itself.

Yes so far it seems like every video I have tried defaults to the lowest quality settings, 240p.

Here are two videos that i've been trying to get to play at a higher quality but haven't been able to

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Whenever they change their API you always find certain videos will play ok but the majority won't - there's also strange regional variations too. The full remedy is when the developers adjust their code to match.

PPCMC can stream at least 360p and download higher, might need to update YouTube-dl with the built in option.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I'm not able to play back music videos. At first I thought it was an isolated video, but if I select "Music" under the "Categories" dropdown menu and try to play any video, I get "It wasn't possible to find the URL for this video".

I have the same behaviour on 10.5 on my G5 so I suspect this is related to TonVid , not the Youtube API.
[automerge]1591113984[/automerge]
Yes so far it seems like every video I have tried defaults to the lowest quality settings, 240p.

Here are two videos that i've been trying to get to play at a higher quality but haven't been able to

OK, here are my stupid questions :

1. Which version of Mplayer are you using , OSD enabled , and how do you know which resolution is been playback ?
  2. Which OS X version do you have the issue ?
  3. You are using the last 20.1 SMTube ?
  4. Do you use the default Tonvid.com interface on SMTube ?
I checked the Sourceforge and website page of SMTube but so far no reports there about Youtube API changes nor a new release due to SMTube been broken.

Last edited:

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
i still use clicktoplugin with quicktime plugin for youtube with addition of + ninjakit + viewtube (all on safari; on Tenfourfox > only ninjakit+viewtube) .. quite a package.
on tiger instead of ninjakit one can use greasekit.
[automerge]1592035007[/automerge]

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
The good

It compiles like before when having the prequired packages.

and the bad news

When I open SMTube and try to playback a video it states it cannot find the URL and needs youtube-dl to be installed.
It will prompt you to install youtube-dl and install it under /Users/<yourusername>/bin

But then it still won't playback the video.

By the looks of it , the one-click solution that SMTube offered is gone, will have a further look tomorrow.

I attached the new version for those who want to give it a try or compare it with the previous SMTube 20.1

Attachments

• smtube_20.6_OSX_10.4.zip
    221 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: G4fanboy

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
The good

and the bad news

When I open SMTube and try to playback a video it states it cannot find the URL and needs youtube-dl to be installed.
It will prompt you to install youtube-dl and install it under /Users/<yourusername>/bin

By the looks of it , the one-click solution that SMTube offered is gone, will have a further look tomorrow.

I attached the new version for those who want to give it a try or compare it with the previous SMTube 20.1

SMtube is updated to 21.10.0 in Macports and it builds fine, but MPlayer is broken :)

smtube.png

Can it be switched to FFMpeg?

Reactions: Dronecatcher

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021

Alternatively, we could possibly make this one work: https://ports.macports.org/port/QMPlay2/details
(Ignore what the page says about Qt5, it only pulls in deps for the latest MacOS; it builds with Qt4 for PowerPC, though an earlier version, since Qt4 support has been dropped.)

Good news: playback works fine via FFMpeg.

Bad news: YouTube plugin does not actually search anything in Qt4 version (in the version for current macOS it does work fine).
Given that SMtube can search, though cannot play, it should be fixable via Qt4 means plus whatever tools may be required like curl or w/e.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I don't have a PPC Macports setup at moment but when I do I'll give it a whirl.

I am doing this on Sonoma now since the Quad is building SuiteSparse_GraphBLAS and it is a multi-hour things, but:

It should work fine on PowerPC though, since I know that QMPlay2 works for playback there.

To avoid a likely broken MPlayer, install like this:
Code:
sudo port -v install smtube -mplayer +qmplay2

This does not fix previewing issue though. I have opened a ticket for it: https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smtube/issues/28

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Backporting some fixes for YouTube module from the master onto Qt4 branch of QMPlay2 looks pretty feasible.
At the moment I am not sure if it helps to fix YouTube search inside the app though :)

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
The good

and the bad news

Aside of previews everything works now. Try Qmplay2 variant.

P. S. Upstream says previews are broken since SMtube does not find SSL libs, but I cannot see any option to configure it to use a specific OpenSSL version. Hopefully we find a solution for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.