Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
And altough I had the same issue with only a blank Qt4 window on my Tiger install again, I succeeded in compiling and testing SMtube 19.6.0 on Tiger with Mplayer.

1st post has been updated again.

Please let me know if any issues should arise.

Not working for me, did the dylib fix but still Console simply reports "smtube crashed."

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Not working for me, did the dylib fix but still Console simply reports "smtube crashed."

Just to double-check , OS X 10.4 ? Qt 4.8.7 installed via the MPKG in the 1st post ?

Can you try to start smtube from within the .App folder in Terminal

cd /Applications/smtube_19.6.0-OSX_10.4.app/Contents/MacOS

./smtube

I hope this might shed a light on why it's not working

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Can you try to start smtube from within the .App folder in Terminal

When I do that it states "Bus error"

It's been such a long time since I've done this on Tiger. I already have your MPlayer installed - would I have had to install Qt 4 for that? If not that's the problem?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
When I do that it states "Bus error"

It's been such a long time since I've done this on Tiger. I already have your MPlayer installed - would I have had to install Qt 4 for that? If not that's the problem?

Qt 4.8.7 also needs to be installed since SMtube is a Qt application.

To double-check what is your result of the following in Terminal

ls -l /opt/local/libexec

Normally there should be 2 directories and a file list

dbus_daemon_launch_helper
p11-kit
qt4

If those aren't there you need indeed still to install the Qt4 MPKG installer from the 1st post.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
That's good news , thanks for the double-checking !

Been struggling to get a Firewire keyboard working all afternoon so was a bit frazzled...the Bus error rang a bell...sure I saw that trying to run an app made for G4 on a G3, hence I double checked I had the right SMTube!
Thanks for this - great to have it back in action for Tiger :)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Yessss! Nice work @Lastic :D

EDIT: Forgot that the mplayer built for Tiger doesn't work with G3s, nor will the old mplayer built for G3s work with SMTube. It works fine otherwise (on G4 machines).

EDIT #2: Using the old View script parameters, I attempted to get SMTube to work with the G3 build of mplayer. According to the console, it tries to load the URL, but stops at the Mplayer copyright line.

Code:
BrowserWindow::openYTUrl: filename: "The Monorail $999 All-In-One Windows PC from 1996!.mp4"
BrowserWindow::openYTUrl: command: "/Applications/mplayer -fs -really-quiet -framedrop -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all -vo quartz"
MPlayer dev-SVN-r21482-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: PowerPC

... and that's where it stops. It doesn't seem to attempt to download the video. I also attempted to copy the URL from Console and run it via command line with the same result. I wonder if there's a way to get this to work...

EDIT #3: I just remembered that mplayer for G3 doesn't support https links. Never mind.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Coding wise it's possible as youtube-dl still streams video through the older MPlayer on a G3 - guess it's just how SMTube is written now?

Yeah... I’m still using PPC Media Center with the View script and mplayer G3, and that works well. You’re probably right- must be a coding quirk.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Ok, i will try this, thankms.
Unfortunately i just deleted the whole MacProrts installation to see if this makes a difference - after re-installation of Qt-mac and Mplayer+OSD 1.3.0_3

i am getting

MPlayer 1.3.0-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team

and the same error "
Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.
"

when trying to playbck on SMTube.

Maybe it could be related to Perlbrew or the Version 18,.9 is indeed somehow no more able to provide the playback.
Lets see if an updated SmTube is installable on this MacMiniG4.

@mrkapqa can you try the SMtube.app linked in the first post , it's version 19.6.0 compiled for 10.4.
Your Macports ticket 58805 , was that when using SMtube installed via Macports ?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Had to do some wizardry in orde to compile the source this time since it now needs gcc 4.2 whilst Tiger natively only has gcc 4.0.x.

Thus used TigerBrew to install gcc 4.2 , had to symbolic link it to /opt/local/bin/g++-apple-4.2 something but well it worked, new SMTube 20.1 working on Tiger, find it at the first post

Reactions: philgxxd

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
thank you very much for your hard effort put into this! highly appreciated!
noticed that newer videos would no longer playback on your provided version on both 10.4 and 10.5.
Glad to see that it could be updated. Happy to test it sometime soon!

Reactions: philgxxd

PowerHarryG4

macrumors regular
May 31, 2020
London, England
I know this thread is old but I was wondering if someone could help. I wanted to try to run 720p youtube on my powerbook but changing the preferred quality doesn't do anything. The quality seems to be stuck at 240p. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I know this thread is old but I was wondering if someone could help. I wanted to try to run 720p youtube on my powerbook but changing the preferred quality doesn't do anything. The quality seems to be stuck at 240p. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Everything is reliant on the code released by the SMPlayer/SMTube developers - they would be the people to ask but as the PPC version here isn't official they probably won't be able to help.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
it's a powerbook g4 1.67 (non-dlsd/hr) with 128mb gpu. Sadly this one can only use one gig of ram, since the bottom slot is broken.

Have you tried this method?

If you're happy to dowload the video first, there are plenty of options for that and the link below is the most straightforward.

Moving up to Leopard would give you better options.

Last edited:

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
@PowerHarryG4
It used to depend on the highest quality that the Youtube API would provide to Tonvid.
Remember that SMTube uses Tonvid which is basically a mirrored version of Youtube but not an exact copy.

Do you have this issue with every single video you're trying to playback ?
Are you using Tonvid (the default) in SMTube as your primary video selection channel ?

If you could provide me a link to one such video I could give it a try to deduct wether the issue lies with SMTube, Tonvid or Youtube itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.