Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Gateway 2000 held that no notice of additional terms within was required since the buyer had the opportunity to discover those terms even though the box didn't warn them they existed
More accurately, there was no notice of terms required because there were no additional terms. A consumer product comes with a warranty; products with software come with license agreements; products that require a separate service (Tivo, cell phones, cable TV, OnStar, etc.) come with a service agreement. These terms are part of the sale of these products based on their nature.
the contract being formed not when payment was rendered but when the box was opened and the additional terms were presented.
Almost. The contract was formed when consideration was exchanged (the moment they paid). The contract was perfected upon delivery of goods. For all legal purposes in accordance with the OTC, your assent ends the question, regardless of whether or not you've been "presented" with terms (unless you are forced to contract and denied access to the terms--note these are active verbs and do not apply where the Offeree was simply irresponsible or negligent).
The court did sidestep the issue of whether and how the cost of returning the computer could be recovered - rather dismissively
It wasn't germane to any claim in the case. The vendor's return policy governs, and it was not at issue. When you purchase by mail, you assume the risk involved in dealing with remote sellers. That includes cross-shipping or return shipping costs as required by the seller's policies, something you agreed to by entering into the transaction.
I understand - it would seem that a purchaser of any good under the Gateway 2000 logic has a duty to inquire about additional terms
Again, not additional terms. "Additional or different terms" is a term of art that does not apply here. These are part of the original, bargained-for terms that the offeree simply did not read.
(i.e. you didn't just buy that can opener, you agreed to pay Black & Decker $10/month for 24 months for can-opener technical support.
That would be a different situation entirely, because a sales transaction is settlement in full of all accounts. If you are entering into a service agreement for additional consideration, that's a separate event and a separate contract.
As an aside, the comment that the computer in Gateway 2000 would be "useful only as a boat anchor" without its included software and so limiting ProCD to software wouldn't have helped the Hills is deeply wrong for obvious reasons
Be thankful for that presumption, though. Without it, courts would not hesitate to bring down the hammer on consumers--if you didn't need the software, you wouldn't really be harmed. The idea that the software is necessary is a fundamental component in most attacks on various EULA provisions where hardware was purchased with software attached. It is less important in pure software transactions.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Unfortunately this whole "Apple/iPhone/Firmware Hackers" is becoming just like the "Sony/PSP/Homebrew Scene".

The truth is... if you lock something, chances are that it's just a matter of time until someone cracks it open, hurting the company that builds the product. That's why I seriously think that Apple needs to open up the iPhone, they should sell apps via iTunes and eventually earn money from the people who only want an unlocked iPhone.

Hmmm.... an interesting quote. I bought a PSP-Slim recently. I loved it so much, I bought an original one just so I could put homebrew stuff on it (while keeping the slim "legit" in case there is ever a major problem with playing games on the other). Now, while _I_ buy all my games and only rip PSX games I own, sadly I realize that is not why a lot (I don't know percentages) of other people that go the hombrew route.

My point is, is it demonstrable that hacking a piece of hardware hurts the company? In my case, Sony sold an extra PSP and I'm going around to all my friends gushing about home much I love this thing. A friend of mine might buy one now (not for homebrew - she just wants portable Puzzle Fighter).

*shrug*

-p-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.