1.1.1 + MakeiPhoneRingtone = No Dice...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhightinPhils26, Sep 28, 2007.

1. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I may have missed this while browsing around for the past hour. Since I updated to 1.1.1 (Even though I have iTunes 7.4.1) my ringtones I got in there with MakeiPhoneRingtone aren't syncing...

Am I behind with the times? Was this already posted? If so, I apologize... What's the way to make tones now??

2. stonedgrace macrumors member

Custom Ring Tones still do work.
    To add a ring tone you need iTunes 7.4.0 and makeiphoneringtone.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

The way to do this is actually really dumb, and I dont know why this works.
    First make your ring tone and change the extenstion to .m4r
    Double click to add to iTunes. It will show up under the ring tones tab and if you sync your phone it will be in your ringtones list. At this point the ring tone will not play.
    Now, rename the ringtone in the finder back to .m4a and add it to iTunes using MakeiPhoneRingtone. It is going to add the same file into your ringtone tab a second time, but when you sync the phone there will only be one in the list on the phone and it will now play.
    I had 2 ring tones that I needed to delete and do a 2nd time for them to work, but I have added 9 ring tones to my phone with the 1.1.1 update installed.

3. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

okay, but where do i get 7.4.0? i can't seem to find it.

4. stonedgrace macrumors member

5. alfredog1976 macrumors newbie

Thanks stonedgrace for the info. I was wondering if you have tried Atomic Parsley yet instead of the step where you use MakeiPhoneRingtone. I'm on the Windows side and of course, we don't have the MakeiPhoneRingtone program. I'm guessing that the program is setting the atom attribute to ringtone (in Atomic Parsley, the way to do it, at least on the Windows side, on the command line is "AtomicParsley <your ringtone name>.m4a --stik value=14").

If you or anyone else has tried this with success please let us know. Thanks!

6. stonedgrace macrumors member

I assume that is what it is doing. I have little to zero knowledge of why this works or any programming on a mac at all. I stumbled on this accidently late last night.
    What I think is going on is the phone needs to see the m4r file to put it into the list on the phone, but it needs the modified m4a file to actually play the tone.

7. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

It didn't show up under the ringtones... i had this problem before... wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is apple being so fin' gay about ringtones... why is it that making ringtones is easy for everyother phone but not this... i am ready to throw this phone through a god damn wall!!!!!!!

I am hating apple more and more right now...

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

I got it to work for one song and not others, pretty weird

EDIT: Now some aren't even showing up on the phone

9. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Im on a mac... I have iphone 1.1.1, I have my ringtones in a folder called "ringtones" I have my iTunes (7.4.0) set to NOT copy into the itunes folder.

I make m4a file a m4r and double click.

It opens in itunes and plays, however, its not under the ringtones tab... any reason?

10. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

It would be greatif this worked. But it doesn't for me. I'm running a Mac Pro. I trashed iTunes 7.4.2 and installed 7.4.0. My iPhone is at 1.1.1 (upgrading was a big mistake).

I've followed your instructions several times. The ringtone shows up in the Ringtone section of iTunes. But it will not sync. I can sync iTunes. I made some changes just to see if version 7.4.0 was compatible with 1.1.1. iTunes synced perfectly, but Ringtones did not sync. I think Apple greed won out. I'll still keep trying.

11. stonedgrace macrumors member

i have iTunes set to copy to the library. I think it has to be set this way because I believe the phone has to see both the m4r file AND the modified m4a file in the same folder. I think the phone has to see the m4r file to add the tone to the list, and the modified m4a to actually play the ring tone.
    Try setting the preference to copy the file to the folder. This way it will add the m4r and then the original can be modified to m4a. you MUST have both a duplicate file show up in your ring tone tab in iTunes.

12. stonedgrace macrumors member

I am confused by what you are saying. Can you sync or can you not? First step is to make a ring tone and change the ext to m4r. You need to have iTunes set to add to the library. If you double click the m4r it should add the file under the ring tone header. If not, you are not using 7.4.0
    If it does, it had added the m4r to your library and you should be able to sync it to the phone. IT WILL NOT PLAY ON YOUR PHONE YET.
    Now change the ORIGINAL file that is not in your iTunes library back to m4a.
    Drag that file to the MakeiPhoneRingtone program. It will add the same file to your ring tone section. There will now be TWO of the same file in that ring tone header. One will be a m4r and the other will be a modified m4a.
    When you sync the phone now, there will be just one of the files on the phone and it SHOULD play as a ring tone.
    I have had one ring tone stop working and I have had to add it a 2nd time. The other 9 have worked since I added them.

In my experience with 1.1.1 and iTunes 7.4.0 this will work to add ring tones to your phone. Good luck.

13. Thunderbird1 macrumors newbie

The King is naked...everyone sees....

Aren't we are supposed to be living in a free society? Free
    societies use "laissez faire economics" to do business. In other
    words, free enterprise. Corporate Apple sells a product, consumer
    buys product and decides how they want to use it. They may choose to
    use it as a doorstop or a phone. It is ridiculous to think I am
    barred from using my phone however I want, as long as it does not
    encroach on another.
    If it happens to not fit in the "box" that Apple
    thinks it should, but the consumer does, shouldn't they change their attitude (agreements)? What ever happened to the philosophy the customer is always right?
    The consumer will decide the best course of
    action for the product, but the company better listen to the consumer
    or there will be a huge backlash. It happens with every business. ATT
    is an outstanding example of a company that tries to do the opposite
    of the free enterprise market philosophy. They simply don't care
    about the consumer, but do care about total control over the consumer
    the way "they think is best." ATT would like to change the name to
    iControl, not iphone. If you have any doubt, read their agreement and
    see how much in control they are. How much information they want from
    you, including your SS#(talk about invasion of privacy! Aren't
    these some of the reasons why they were busted up years ago? Most saw
    them as a threat to free enterprise.
    Cannot believe Apple teamed up
    with such a rough company. You can bet your last dollar they are
    screaming at Apple to do something about the obvious popularity of
    the unlock program. It is very legal to do and they know it. If ATTs
    service were good and fair, they would not need to say a word. We
    would all use it. That is the genius of free enterprise, the consumer
    decides which carrier to use, not the other way around. You can bet
    all carriers would compete in a most fair manner to win your
    patronage. You are king and decide the future of Apple and ATT not
    them deciding our future.
    If only Nokia, Samsung, Sony and others
    would give them a run for their money. Apple and ATT would not behave
    this way. Competition is always best for us the consumer. Without the
    consumer Apple & ATT would not exist. There are many examples of
    trying to lock the consumer out. Which history proves, only results
    in bad PR for everyone involved. It takes years to get rid of a bad
    taste in everyone's mouth. That is precisely the reason the ATT name
    was retired for such a long while, before they started the "New ATT"
    with Apple. Those who fail to recognize history are destined to
    repeat the same mistakes. Will they never learn?

imac 24" metal
    ibook G4 Tit.
    5 ipod classics 80gb
    1 ipod classic 160gb
    4 ipod shuffles all colors
    2 3G ipod nanos
    2 iphones

14. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Holy crap, all that writing flared by ringtones? Is it really that serious... I mean I was pretty bummed about my free ringtone workaround being destroyed in 1.1.1, but it's not that bad, really.

15. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Thank you for the information. I've been able to successfully add three ringtones with this method. For some reason, I could not add a fourth one. I only tried four. The fourth one, I deleted, re-synced, remade the ringtone and tried again. It wouldn't go. The third one I had trouble with once, but it went the second time without problems. All in all, I'm extremely happy with your eforts and posting this work-around. Thank you,

My next question for anyone is this: If I sync with another computer that had 7.4.3, but do not sync ringtones or music, will my ringtones be lost? When I was using iToner, even though Ringtones and Music sync were unchecked, if I synced contacs with a iTunes on a PC, I would lose all my ringtones. But then iToner was Mac specific and placed a specific file in the iTunes library. It seems that this method is more of a method whereby ringtones are added the "iTunes way".

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You are probably just renaming the file, not actually changing the extension. Highlight the file and "get info"...you will probably see the file a ringtonename.m4a.m4r. Change the file there, to m4r. It will ask you to confirm the change.

17. drm309 macrumors newbie

I followed the instructions, and downgraded my itunes to 4.2.0, did the mpr/mpa with the program, saw that there were two of each in the ringtones tab, synced the phone and nothing....i did everything step by step and nothing.

I think its the phone because before the 1.1.1 update happened, my phone had a problem with the itoner program...but i had ringtones on there before through the dos prompt/iphoneinterface program...

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Try starting over, this time using iToner to remove any and all ringtones it sees first. I think there might be a conflict. Then do the other steps.

19. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Here's my latest: Yes this method does indeed work but it is not without some difficulty on some ringtones - I don't know why. For two ringtones, they installed without difficulty on the first attempt. The third installed but would not play. I had to remove the ringtone from the Ringtone library in iTunes, then re-sync. I verified that it was not listed on the iPhone. I then started all over from scratch. Import the MP3 into the iTunes Music Library, convert it to an AAC (.m4a). Then put it in another directory and renamed it .m4r. Double click to get it into the Ringtone library. Then rename it back to .m4a and used makeiphoneringtone to put it in a second time. This time it worked fine. I tried a fourth time and it did not play (it was listed in the iPhone). I tried the same procedure and it still didn't work. Next, I'll beging from the beginning and make the ringtone again from scratch. I guess there's some problem with the ringtone itself, even though it plays from iTunes fine.

But on to PC syncing. I sync contacts and calendar from my work PC to my iPhone and then sync to my Mac Pro. The PC does not sync ringtones or music, only contacts and calendar. When I was using iToner, when ever I'd sync with he PC, I'd completely remove my iToner installed ringtones. iToner installed a specific folder in the iTunes folder on the Mac and they do not support PC. Well, I downloaded and installed iTunes 7.4.0 for the PC. I don't know if I had to or not, but why take a chance? I synced the calendar only with the PC. I did not lose my ringtones. They are still there.

Thanks again.

20. basquebombshell macrumors newbie

Finally It Worked, Thanks!!!!!!

OK, I spent like 3 hours yesterday trying to add my custom ringtones after I downgraded back to iTunes 7.4.0. It was so frustrating because somehow it just wouldn't work. This morning I tried again with renovated energy, and voila, I got it to work! I think the key is to make sure that you CHANGE THE ORIGINAL FILE, THE ONE THAT IS NOT IN YOUR ITUNES LIBRARY, back to m4a, and then drag that file to the MakeiPhoneRingtone program. I am telling you, when I heard my ringtones playing back in my iPhone it was sooooo beautiful....

21. stonedgrace macrumors member

That is the key to it. I am sorry if I didnt make that more clear.

22. pavvento macrumors 6502

My file automatically goes into the ringtones folder and leaves the original folder, how do I fix this??

23. basquebombshell macrumors newbie

A couple more steps

Hi, I added a couple steps that are not mentioned above. I hope you get it to work.

- First, you need to downgrade to iTunes 7.4.0 (http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite..../iTunes7.4.dmg)
    - Then make a ring tone encoded as AAC. Trash the .mp3 file (to avoid confusion), and then get info on the newly created .m4a file. Find out where it is located on your drive, drag it out and place it in a folder on your desktop (maybe one that you named ringtones). Go back to iTunes and trash the AAC file as well.
    - Go to your ringtones folder on the desktop and change the ext to m4r using the finder. You need to have iTunes set to add to the library. If you double click the m4r it should add the file under the ring tone header. If not, you are not using 7.4.0
    If it does, it had added the m4r to your library and you should be able to sync it to the phone. IT WILL NOT PLAY ON YOUR PHONE YET.
    - Now change the ORIGINAL file that is not in your iTunes library back to m4a (the one on your ringtones folder on the desktop).
    - Drag that file to the MakeiPhoneRingtone program. It will add the same file to your ring tone section. There will now be TWO of the same file in that ring tone header. One will be a m4r and the other will be a modified m4a.
    When you sync the phone now, there will be just one of the files on the phone and it SHOULD play as a ring tone.

Othe than that, the other thing I would tell you is to make sure that you are using the cradle when you do this. I did put two ringtones this morning on my iphone while it was cradled, and everything went fine. Then I tried to put some more on it at a coffee shop and all I had was the cable, and that didn't work. When I got home I tried loading the same ringtones again with the iPhone cradled and they worked fine.

24. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

Ok, I've tried this method many different ways, and the best way I could come up with was the following, detailed out step by step:

First, pick the mp3 you wish to edit. Edit it down as an mp3, and save it as an mp3. Put it into a folder, like a "ringtones" folder somewhere

Load the edited mp3 into itunes, and convert it to .m4a. Don't convert your original song first and then edit it; edit first and then convert.

Now that it's converted, right click your converted song in itunes, and hit "show in finder." Move that converted file to the same folder as your edited mp3.

Remove both versions from itunes. You could probably keep the mp3, but why?

Now right click your m4a file in finder, and hit "get info." Change the extension there to .m4r.

Double click the renamed m4r file, and it will load up into itunes 7.4.0, under "ringtones."

Sync the iphone. It will show up, but will not play.

Now go back to that original song, and hit "get info" again. Rename it back to .m4a, and then load up MakeiPhoneRingtone. Drag your m4a file to MakeiPhoneRingtone, and it will show up in itunes under "ringtones" again.

Sync your iPhone again. Now it will play.

Just so you know, this was the only way I could get my ringtones to load in itunes under "ringtones," show up in my iPhone, and play. If I did any of these steps out of order (convert the song first, etc), it would not work. I would also recommend doing one or two songs at first to verify your results, and then doing a few more at a time. It's time consuming at first, but after a while it gets better.

25. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I figured out how to get ringtones on there with MakeiPhoneRingtones...

I revered back to 1.0.2 from 1.1.1... :p