1/3 of Non-AT&T Smartphone Customers Would Have Purchased iPhone on Their Carriers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 19, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Market research firm ChangeWave today published the results of its latest survey of its professional and early-adopter consumer audience, again finding that Apple's exclusivity agreement with AT&T for the iPhone in the United States is costing it customers.

[​IMG]

The survey builds upon one conducted in August that showed significant numbers of AT&T and non-AT&T customers alike waiting for Verizon to begin offering the iPhone. This new survey, however, specifically asks recent purchasers of non-AT&T smartphones whether they would have purchased an iPhone had it been available on their chosen carriers, and more than a third of those surveyed responded that they would have, with an additional 20% registering as unsure.
    The survey goes on to examine which smartphone manufacturers matched up most poorly against the iPhone, and Motorola topped the list with a nearly equal percentage of its customers saying that they would have bought an iPhone if it had been available on their carrier as those who would still have bought their Motorola phone.

[​IMG]

On the consumer satisfaction front, ChangeWave continues to find strong ratings for the iPhone 4, even higher than those for the iPhone 3GS and leading the industry, with 77% of iPhone customers registering as "very satisfied". Motorola took second place with 71% of its customers reporting being "very satisfied", while Samsung and Research in Motion trailed with results in the 45% range.

Article Link: One-Third of Non-AT&T Smartphone Customers Would Have Purchased iPhone on Their Carriers

2. addicted44 macrumors 6502a

Despite being huge numbers, it is still a large underestimation of the actual numbers:

1) When you buy something, you are far less likely to say you would have got something else, even if you would have, because you don't want to feel any less good about your purchase.

2) Many people who now enjoy their current non-iphone phones, and were in the "Get my current phone" category, might still have ended up buying an iPhone because of the much larger mindshare the iPhone has. They probably would never even have considered their current phone if the iPhone existed.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

4. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I think if these carriers had the iPhone, I think the numbers would be higher, seeing some of the iPhone haters would of purchased one, and not been a iphone hater.

5. blackpond macrumors 6502a

Apple is making iPhones as fast as possible to keep up with demand.

I'm not sure there would be iPhones for these people to purchase - even if it was multi-carrier.

6. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

I'm sure Apple is looking to tap into the larger market at some point -- soon probably.

7. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah yeah. I never know what to think about these surveys. I do agree with the findings that, if available, more people would have chosen iPhone as their smartphone. But, all I'm reminded is that Apple tried to sell iPhone to several different carriers, and all but Cingular / AT&T wouldn't agree to the terms. While the findings are very revealing in terms of consumer demand, they also reveal just how dumb some of the people running these networks are. Talk about missing out.

8. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

Please Apple just equip the other carriers. I want AT&T all to myself!

9. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

US only story. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has multiple carriers in each country with the iPhone.

10. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

you can have em!

11. JAT macrumors 603

I might buy one today if it was on Verizon or Tmobile.

12. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

T-Mobiles network is not that great either, Verizon and/or Sprint is a must

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'm guessing that Apple's exclusivity with AT&T is actually earning them more considering what AT&T is paying for this.

Afterall, Apple isn't making a fortune on iPhone sales.

Then again, the less iPhones out there means less iRevenue from the various Apple on-line offerings so who knows?

14. ggg05a macrumors regular

ggg05a

Agreed.

I've been eligible for an upgrade for months on Verizon . . . trying to make the Blackberry last a few more months until the iPhone comes out.

iPhone available on the other 3 carriers, expect Apple to have half of the American Smartphone market.

15. neilw macrumors regular

Interesting that motorola faired worst against the iPhone, but highest in satisfaction. Samsung was opposite: best against the iPhone, but lowest in owner satisfaction. How to explain the discrepancy?

16. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

I got a Droid X though I want an iPhone.

17. icyfire macrumors 6502

Yea I have a feeling that being exclusive to AT&T has gotten Apple a huge amount of cash in kickbacks from AT&T, probably moreso than the profits they would have gotten had they released the iPhone on multiple carriers. But I think the dynamics of the market have changed especially with Android slowly eating away at the iPhone's dominance. This is why I think we are seeing Apple open up towards Verizon and will probably see a Verizon iPhone early next year.

18. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

These exclusivity deals only hurt consumers and benefit firms.

19. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

Im sitting on a Verizon LG Voyager. I would gladly trade you.

Lol, you all remember when media hyped it up to be the "iPhone killer?"

20. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Results just in for Windows Phone 7:

7 would have brought an iPhone instead, but the other 13 are very happy with their purchase.

So good news for Microsoft. :D

21. brewcitywi macrumors 6502

just an opinion

Rumors of Android overtaking the iPhone are much less real than the potential of a Verizon iPhone basically halting Android's growth to whatever market share they currently have. When Android and iPhone (iOS) go head-to-head, a lot of users will choose the iPhone over a random Android device that changes every other month.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

22. carlgo macrumors 68000

Doh! What a revelation! People won't buy a phone that only works in selected areas? Who knew? Hey, now that the problem has been identified, all Apple has to do is offer the phone on other carriers!

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They aren't rumours, they are fact.

24. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Uh, I think they kinda are.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/11...-more-than-all-but-10-companies-in-the-world/

25. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

This study feels like a pacifier designed for the iBabies that are all worked up due to Android's dominance. Now if only Apple could sponsor a study that claims every earthling surveyed said they would buy an iPhone if they had any type of cell phone coverage at their place at all - that would bring complete peace and we would stop hearing about "Fragmentation" and such.

That aside - most of the world was buying Nokias and Androids - did I miss Apple stopping iPhone sales worldwide?