1.5Ghz at MW?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by rice_web

Here is what has been rumored of the new G4:
- 12 pipeline stages (up from 7)
- .13 micron manufacturing (down from .18)
If this is true, I've heard the Apple may call this a G5. Rumors have it that there will be case modification too. I've also heard the rumor that the G5 may never see the day of light because there incorporating it's features into the G4.

I've also heard that the 7460 is going to be used in these Mac's, but not incorporate the large level 3 cache. The 7470 will be used for the XServer and it'll be the only model that supports the larger level 3 BSC.

I've put my money on the 1.5 Ghz machines. I don't see a problem with a 50% jump in speed. We've seen it before.

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
Re: um...spymac

Originally posted by michaelyoung
when is the last time spymac was right about _anything_? spymac is like the Weekly World News of the mac rumor wolrd.. they stop just short of telling us that Aliens will deliver the 1.5ghz processors at MWNY..

iWalk anyone?
you nerd, the link is from the inquirer not spymac..geez
boobers

knowledge

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2002
Whatever, Illustrator will still be a dog.

I cant get too hyped over 1.5 Ghz, as my favorite application is still crippled in Mac OS X by crappy performance. Adobe Illustrator is such a dog, each thing I do takes 2 seconds for it to respond. I don't know if this is Apple or Adobe's fault (I think I'll point my finger at both of them), but unless these interface problems get optimized away, it's going to take an order of magnitude in processor speed increase to make Illustrator useable again.

I know it's only slightly related, but has anyone else experienced similar suckiness with Illustrator?

knowledge

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
could be true, remember the 500-733Mhz Jump?

a 50% increase might not be out of the question.

we were stuck at 500Mhz Max for 18 months

Then we get the 7450 series G4 at 733Mhz (46.6%)

Still using the 7450 we then got 867Mhz (18.3%)

now we've got the 7455 series at 1Ghz (15.3%)

if they're increasing the pipeline stages again, I think a 50% increase isn't out of the question. Someone managed to overclock a 1Ghz G4 to 1.2Ghz with the current cpu so we know that's an absolute minimum to be hoping for.

To be honest with you, whatever CPU the new G4s come out with, I would expect the entry level to be 1Ghz. Either of these configurations could be the mid and high end systems.

mid range : fastest PPC G4
high end : 2 x 2nd fastest PPC G4

or like now :

mid range : 2nd fastest PPC G4
high end : 2 x fastest PPC G4

Also, this is the first time I get to watch the keynote on a cable modem so I'm looking forward to it for that as much as what CPUs we can expect to see.

If we do lose the L3 cache, the entry level will have to be significantly slower than the other 2 models to compensate, I've noticed apple always use the fastest CPU from the previous line up in the low end - L3 cache. This makes the current low end far slower than the mid range by more than simple MHz differences. Take away the L3 (if those 7460 rumours are true) and they'll need to have a Mhz difference of at least 200MHz to justify the cost or people will just buy entry level models with a BTO superdrive and save a fortune at the expense of some tiny 10% speed hit.

10% extra speed between one model and another is irrelevant, 20% or more is noticable and worth paying more for.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Whatever, Illustrator will still be a dog.

Originally posted by knowledge
Adobe Illustrator is such a dog, each thing I do takes 2 seconds for it to respond.
Have you contacted Adobe about this? Did you download the dot patch release. I noticed a performance boost when I did. However, I'm still using 9.2.2.

I find Adobe GoLive to be rather slow, but I'm on a G3 400. When I buy a new Mac this summer, I hope to see a difference in speed. ;)

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
Re: Whatever, Illustrator will still be a dog.

Originally posted by knowledge
I cant get too hyped over 1.5 Ghz, as my favorite application is still crippled in Mac OS X by crappy performance. Adobe Illustrator is such a dog, each thing I do takes 2 seconds for it to respond. I don't know if this is Apple or Adobe's fault (I think I'll point my finger at both of them), but unless these interface problems get optimized away, it's going to take an order of magnitude in processor speed increase to make Illustrator useable again.

I know it's only slightly related, but has anyone else experienced similar suckiness with Illustrator?

knowledge
oh yes Ill does suck tremendously in X, however Freehand sucks less..but it still sux too. The most responsive vector prog in X so far for me has been Flash..now the flash plug in is a complete joke in X as well. Very sad really.
Hopefully some of the Quartz Extreeeeme will help some of this.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
I bet we see the updated powermacs, and I dont hope to see updated iMacs since I just bought mine a month ago. I also hope Apple puts DDR in their powermacs along with maybe the Radeon 8500 or 8600? one of those is right i know it, lol a knew case would be cool, maybe all titanium, like some of these mockups I have seen.

iPod 5 GB

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Re: PowerBooks

Originally posted by Curiousstrngmint
Does anybody think this will affect the Titanium?

Also, there was a thread a while back about a 1ghz Titanium in the fall. Does anybody know whether that's September fall or November fall? It'll make a difference. Thanks.
How could it possibly make a difference? This is all rumor and speculation. If you are honestly making important decisions based on a rumor that was placed either here or someplace else, you're insane.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Ah, yes. VirtualPC could definitely use 1.5GHz (it'd run better with 2GHz, but that's a long ways off)
Agreed. But VPC will definitely benefit from the DDR and faster disk as well. What I'd like to know is how much Quartz Extreme would impact it. I remember reading a thread on the VPC forums hosted at Connectix that made a point of saying the video handling capabilities of VPC were still pretty primitive (couldn't talk directly to the hardware, etc.). It'd be interesting to see if Q.E. gives them some of the speedup that they couldn't do themselves...

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
its gonna be big

I think MWNY is gonna be huge.

1. Already asked the movie industry WHAT CAN WE DO FOR YOU? Translates
into where ready to make you a kickass system.
2. Jaguar, QX.
3. New servers would/could transfer to some type of home entertainment unit.
4.New DDR and those types of upgrades.
5.Tibook is at 800mhz, so you know where gonna get a hefty top of line dp processor jump.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
A dual 1.5gig tower, jaguar, Quartz Extreme, DDR? Finally a real step up for the power users. A firewire and USB port on the front would be nice too!
Yes I'll take three please, and one more for home too.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Here's a recap of all the goodies that we might see in the next couple of months:
- speeds up to 1.5GHz
- faster system bus (which can improve performance around 25%)
- DDR memory (increases performance about 10% in itself)
- larger cache (a huge boost for audio apps, improves "snappiness")
- .13 micron manufacturing (decreases heat with a smaller core, and thus increases speed slightly)
- Quartz Extreme (yikes, that could give the system "feel" a nice jump)

Now, the unfortunate part:
- more pipeline stages (nearly double; that would yield results similar to P3 to P4)
- How much wil this cost?

Overall though, I'd expect performance hikes of about 50% over the next few months (especially when Jaguar hits the scene)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
I'd say that a Dual 1.4/1.5 Ghz G4 can easily take on a 2.5Ghz P4.

With 4mb L3 cache, a faster IO, and other bus improvements, it could possibly go faster.

It would have a theoretical performance of about 24-25 Gigaflops (the megahertz myth!)

I don't think that Apple will make these rack-mountable, but I do hope that they will have 2 5.25" drive bays. The case will either resemble the quicksilver's dark grey shiny plastics look, or it will take on the more industrial look of the xServe or TiBook...

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Any possibility of putting this gonzo technology in a snowball-iMac case with a 19" screen?
I wish it was. And, it should be. Apple should offer the same specs in its consumer line as its pro line, for consumers should have more choice.

Now, before everyone goes ranting about margins and keeping the lines seperate, and so on...

Apple could do this. They might charge $4,000 for an iMac with a 19" LCD and dual-1.33GHz CPUs, but they should at least offer it as a BTO option.

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Apple could do this. They might charge $4,000 for an iMac with a 19" LCD and dual-1.33GHz CPUs, but they should at least offer it as a BTO option.
They couldn't fit two proccessors on that motherboard, I don't think.

Matt_d

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2002
IF only!

I wish apple would at least get DDR, as is't been said before been around for a good long time...

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
deep pipes need high Mhz, even on a G4.

Now, the unfortunate part:
- more pipeline stages (nearly double; that would yield results similar to P3 to P4)
- How much wil this cost?
I totally agree.

I did a little research...

I took an average of the results gained in the Photoshop, iTunes, Cinebench and filemaker test in this barefeats test of a 533Mhz G4 vs 733Mhz G4 with L3 and some more recent models. Although the 733Mhz G4 has a 37.5% higher clock speed, the average speed gain was only 20.5% over the 533Mhz G4, effectively making it a little over 640Mhz in reality.

With this in mind, I worked out the effective speeds of a few possible clock speeds we might see with the performance penality of the previous 3 stage increase used to downgrade the Mhz to what the current 7455 G4s would need to be to match it's performance :

(effective clock speed in brackets)

1.133 Ghz (993 Mhz)
1.267 Ghz (1.11 Ghz)
1.533 Ghz (1.34 Ghz)

Obviously this is all theoretical. DDR, larger caches, smaller die size etc... will add serious muscle to whatever negative effect a pipeline stage increase has anyway.

The wierd thing is, if you look at results from any G4 vs Athlon crunch test, the G4 has always matched the Athlon MHz for Mhz no matter what version of the Athlon or G4 is being tested. That means that seeing as the current single CPU results from a 1Ghz G4 with SDRAM vs a 1.4Ghz althon with DDR show that a 1.4Ghz G4 with the current motherboard would match the Athlon, Imagine what damage a 1.5Ghz G4 on a DDR motherboard is going to do to a Pentium 4!

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I think the large part of the battle is just beating AMD at this point. If Apple does go with 1.5GHz for MWNY (which I wouldn't expect), they would be right behind AMD; and probably on par with Intel.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Originally posted by G4scott
...I don't think that Apple will make these rack-mountable, but I do hope that they will have 2 5.25" drive bays. ...
What do you mean by two drive bays? I've got two HD's in each of the work towers, and three HD's in my machine at home (the third thanks to a promax IDE controller card). Adding another HD is so easy that I do it all the time for archiving...project done, pull the drive and put it on the shelf...easy.

Oh yeah, Rackmountable? What's the Xserve for?

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
1.5ghz?

Okay, it made sense...becoz Pentium already got dual 2.5 ghz out there...if Apple releases 1.2 or 1.4..then they will be further behind...it used to be only 1ghz gap..but if Apple release 1.2 then goodbye Apple...c ya later!

But I don't think Moto can do it. I don't think they're reach 1.5 ghz yet...but 14 more days..and we all will find out...:D

I need a POWERFUL computer. APPLE CAN YOU HEAR ME? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? I NEED POWERFUL COMPUTER!!!