1.5Ghz at MW?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
Originally posted by SPG

What do you mean by two drive bays? I've got two HD's in each of the work towers, and three HD's in my machine at home (the third thanks to a promax IDE controller card). Adding another HD is so easy that I do it all the time for archiving...project done, pull the drive and put it on the shelf...easy.

Oh yeah, Rackmountable? What's the Xserve for?
Sorry. I meant optical drive bays. Currently you can only have 1 CD drive, unless you find a way to hack your case... Apple needs this. For many people, this is a must. (and its easier to copy CD's :D )

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Here's my boldest prediction yet (or at least today):

- Dual 1.5GHz G4s
- 512K L2 Cache
- 4MB L3 Cache
- 166MHz System Bus
- 333MHz DDR Memory
- Superdrive standard

And, for the Holiday Season:
- Dual 2GHz G4s
(all other specs the same)

Now, granted I don't even believe in this possibility myself, but I'd sure like it. If Apple could release dual-2GHz G4s in November (yeah, November), they would be only 1GHz behind Intel. Intel, by the way, is planning on releasing a 3GHz P4 this holiday season. Apple could cut down on the megahertz gap tremendously this year.

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
Re: Whatever, Illustrator will still be a dog.

Originally posted by knowledge

I know it's only slightly related, but has anyone else experienced similar suckiness with Illustrator?

knowledge
I'm using Illustrator 10 on a dual G4/500. I did do the point update. Some functions are actually a lot faster under X.

robguz

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
It's funny how when several rumor sites before MWSF in January were saying 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 Ghz towers, a lot of people were bummed out because they weren't the G5. Now with the most optimistic prediction being slower than what the consensus was 6 months ago, everyone is getting excited and says it's too good to be true. I guess we've all learned to dramatically lower our expectations so that still being 1Ghz behind intel is cause for celebration. And remember that a 1.5Ghz would probably be the top of the line for 6 months while Intel moves to 3 Ghz. Steve better pull something magic out of his sleeve because even 1.5Ghz and a revised motherboard ain't gonna let us catch up.

Horne

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2002
Glasgow, Scotland
What exact date will new hardware be announced?

Also, will it be available straight away?

As you see, I am a newbie to the site, and haven't been around for any MacWorld expos etc.

Thanks.

horne
:)

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Welcome Horne!!!!

The "Possible New Hardware" will be annouced at the 17th of July during Steve Jobs adresse.

Available straight away? Well, I do surely hope so...

Johnny7896

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2002
Omaha, NE
P4 verse Mac

HOT NEWS!!!!!!

I have been informed that the 2.4 Ghz P4’s don’t operate at 2.4 Ghz.
My electronics teacher informed me that a true and verifiable test was performed on the P4 to measure it’s operating speed. The University that did the study hooked up oscilloscopes to the P4 to find it’s Hertz reading. What they discovered was the main cpu runs at 1.2 Ghz and the co-processor (Internal Math) runs at 1.0 Ghz. Intel added the 2 speeds together to advertise a total additive speed of 2.4 Ghz. The P4 isn’t a true 2.4 Ghz and up processor. The P4 actual speed runs far less than the advertised speed. Intel can do this cause there isn’t any government regulation on processor speeds. This is very similar to the case of the monitors being sold by viewable and monitor size. The government started to require a “buyer beware” regulation stating the true viewable size verse the monitor’s physical size. Not many people know this fact cause the results have just been published. This also explains the huge difference in the Athlon 1.7Ghz kiling the P4 2.4Ghz. Come on guys do the math 1.7 greater than 2.4????? I’ll try to find a link soon and post it. This could really change the future of the computer industry. All you people thinking wintel is winning......surprise!! Bottom line stick with the MAC. Intel is pulling the wool over people’s eyes. Just like Microsoft. Like those apples....

Wake up people!!!!
Spread the real News!!!!
Knowledge is contagious!!!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Johnny, you lost me. You said that the processor at 1.2GHz and the co-processor at 1.0GHz makes 2.4GHz? Don't you mean to say that it's 1.2GHz + 1.2GHz, or is this a mistake Intel made? :eek:

Well, that's another flaw of peecees! :cool:

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
Re: P4 verse Mac

Originally posted by Johnny7896
HOT NEWS!!!!!!

My electronics teacher informed me that a true and verifiable test was performed on the P4 to measure it’s operating speed. The
I suggest finding a new teacher immediately, perhaps one that knows what he is talking about.

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
This is good. Get apple to publicize it. It would kill intel. Put out a 1.5 Ghz. and people will be ok with buying that instead of AMD.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002

Yes, please find a new teacher. If this was true and your "teacher" had half a brain, this would be publicized on the web. You don't even name the university. ::sigh::

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders

Originally posted by Johnny7896
HOT NEWS!!!!!!

I have been informed that the 2.4 Ghz P4’s don’t operate at 2.4 Ghz.
My electronics teacher informed me that a true and verifiable test was performed on the P4 to measure it’s operating speed. The University that did the study hooked up oscilloscopes to the P4 to find it’s Hertz reading. What they discovered was the main cpu runs at 1.2 Ghz and the co-processor (Internal Math) runs at 1.0 Ghz. Intel added the 2 speeds together to advertise a total additive speed of 2.4 Ghz. The P4 isn’t a true 2.4 Ghz and up processor. The P4 actual speed runs far less than the advertised speed. Intel can do this cause there isn’t any government regulation on processor speeds. This is very similar to the case of the monitors being sold by viewable and monitor size. The government started to require a “buyer beware” regulation stating the true viewable size verse the monitor’s physical size. Not many people know this fact cause the results have just been published. This also explains the huge difference in the Athlon 1.7Ghz kiling the P4 2.4Ghz. Come on guys do the math 1.7 greater than 2.4????? I’ll try to find a link soon and post it. This could really change the future of the computer industry. All you people thinking wintel is winning......surprise!! Bottom line stick with the MAC. Intel is pulling the wool over people’s eyes. Just like Microsoft. Like those apples....

Wake up people!!!!
Spread the real News!!!!
Knowledge is contagious!!!

This must be a Nebraska thing. Eventually you get tired of watching the corn grow, and have to find new things to get excited about. ;)

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
wow is this sad or really cool?

Now I am not one to point fingers, point point----->>>>>Johnny's post!

I dont knwow anythign about math, but this seems not possible!@

But this seems too good to be true because if it was true there would have been SOME interest somewhere about it, wouldnt there ?

Now this professor is either the best or the most worst teacher in the whole freakin world!

I think that you should give us his email address so that we can have a little chat with him and find out if it is even slightly possible that this is true...

Can you back up your post or is this a trick to get everyone intersted or to get some attention?

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
doubt it...

I doubt that this is true... we would have heard about this long ago and Apple would have exploited this little 1.2 processor/1.2 co-processor deal.
Get us hard evidence if it is in fact true.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Looking for my Ice Skates

Originally posted by Macmaniac
Holy S*%^!!! OF course it is Spymac and the next time the get something right Hell will freeze over, but that would be so freakin cool!
Hope we'll need them:p

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Re: doubt it...

Originally posted by theranch
I doubt that this is true... we would have heard about this long ago and Apple would have exploited this little 1.2 processor/1.2 co-processor deal.
Get us hard evidence if it is in fact true.
I believe the confusion is rampant, but according to a good friend who tracks these things the P4 is dual core each core having a FP and Integer processor. Not sure if I have added to the confusion :D

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Hey, here's my rumor of the day:

iMac
- 733 to 867MHz
- 133MHz system bus

Cube
- up to 1.33GHz
- 133MHz system bus

PowerMac
- up to 1.5GHz
- 166MHz system bus
- 333MHz DDR memory

Heh, just a possibility with the cube rumors floating around. With this configuration, the PowerMacs would cost an arm and a leg. So, Apple re-releases the Cube to fill a price point.

I'm still sticking with 1.33GHz PowerMacs with DDR, but I could also see this line-up as a possibility. Although, I do expect both USB2 and FireWire2.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>It says, "The newest iMacs and Power Macs will be on hand" in reference to MWNY.
Hey, arn, didn't you predict that there would be updates to only PowerMacs and no updates to iMacs, Powerbooks or iBooks? (Emphasis on iMac...)

Can we drop the johnny post?

Actually, since nobody seems to appreciate his post...

"Go! Go, Johnny, go! Go!" :D :cool:

emagdnimy

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
prepare yourself

prepare to be underwhelmed. it happens every time. no matter what you think is going to happen it won't live up to your expectations. at least as long as you keep up with rumor pages. after last MWNY i told myself i was never going to get pumped for a show again. then what do you know, in january apple starts telling me how great the show was going to be and so naturally i thought that it was going to be the show that exceeding or at least met my expectations. but wow, that was the biggest let down of all. anyway, whatever you think will be revealed at this coming macworld, divide it by 2 and subtract 10. then you won't be too dissapointed!