1 Week Later.............

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JOHNGAETANO, Mar 23, 2012.

1. JOHNGAETANO macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

After 1 week with my New iPad, I must say it is clearly the nicest Apple Product I have ever owned. The iPad, and iPad 2 were nice devices, but this is just amazing. The screen continues to blow my mind, and the Verizon LTE is 2-3 times faster than my Cable Modem. The speed and smoothness of the overall device is nothing more than pure joy. This iPad continues to keep Apple light years ahead of the Android and Kindle in the tablet market.

It's not about the competition catching up, it's about Apple lapping the field.

Great Job Apple

2. adddictedtomac macrumors regular

Do you also own the iPad 2? if so apart from faster internet how the new iPad compares to the iPad 2? Is it worth the upgrade for someone who already owns the iPad 2?

3. JOHNGAETANO thread starter macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

The major differences:

1. The Screen is amazing, and yes there is a big difference between the the new iPad and the iPad 2. The display is so different, that looking at any other display is kind of funny.

2. The overall speed an smoothness of the device is noticeable. Not tremendously, and it's not like the iPad 2 was slow.

I think the upgrade is well worth it.

4. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

don't forget: you can still sell your iPad 2 for roughly 350$ and upwards (depending on configuration), so the upgrade would only cost you 150 - 200$. you should be able to make the choice whether more RAM, retina display and the better camera ( ;) ) are worth 150 to 200 bucks yourself really :)

compared to phones, which we carry around in our pockets, iPads show far less signs of usage and decay over the course of one year. there's no moving parts, the battery capacity hardly degrades over 1 year.
    that's why it's perfectly reasonable to ask for at least 80% of the current retail price.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I can say wifi wise it's not faster than the 2nd iPad pretty close though

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have an ipad2 and while the screen is nice it's not worth the upgrade to me. However, the 1 GB of ram and LTE is very much worth it. The new screen is just icing for me.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The screen HD is the clincher for me too...it's faster than my two in everything I've so far done with it too. All in all, very pleased with it.

8. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

100% the screen. Hell, I want all of my devices to be at least 250 ppi from now on.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm glad you love it. I love it too, except I got some dead pixels which is very unfortunate! But I got a replacement anyway :D

Enjoy :)

10. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I think the screen gets more impressive with time. When you first buy it and are looking for a huge upgrade with all the hype around it some may be disappointed, but the more apps I see in their updated form and the more I go back and forth between this screen and my other electronics the more I appreciate it.

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

New screen is just incredible.

Too good infact, I downloaded some magazines that haven't been updated for the new display and couldn't believe how bad they look. The text looked awful.

I always thought the display was quite good on the old models, but I couldn't go back to the iPad 2 now.

12. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I have to concur. It reminds me of when I purchased my iPhone 4 and would go back to my 3GS; the 3GS screen just became incredibly underwhelming. So, same with the iPad 3, now that I have it I would never turn back to the 2.

However, if I never saw the screen I probably wouldn't have upgraded, but when I witnessed its quality I couldn't resist. And on top of that AT&T has a failry decent LTE infrastracture in my area so I get blazing speeds that are twice what I get at home with Verizon FiOS.

13. Q Bert, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

When I sold my iPad2, I wondered and thought to myself that I will miss it. In the one year that I had the iPad2, it served me well. I enjoyed it so much. And then, the new iPad came. It was even better. I forgot how nice the iPad2 was...this is even nicer. Even though I don't have my iPad2 anymore (I sold it), I can see how more crisp texts and images are with the new iPad. And even if I have to spend more for the upgrade, it was well worth it.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The week from pre-order to delivery, was painful, lots of regret.

Now 1 week later with it in my hands, totally worth every cent.

15. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

The wifi connection and speed of the new iPad is much better than the ipad2. I had issues with iPad 2 being slow. No such issue with new iPad. I am very pleased I sold my iPad 2 and upgraded. Screen is amazing with the clarity and brightness, nothing else on the market even comes close.

16. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm enjoying the hell out of mine too. Yes, it's nicer than the iPad 2. The screen is amazing, my wifi connection is much improved over the 2, and I love that it has a nicer camera now. It was also my first restore from iCloud, which went really well and didn't require me to sit at the computer and babysit my restore in iTunes.

But the other thing that's making it great is that I jumped the gun a little on selling my iPad 2, so I was iPad-less for over a month before getting the new one. I will never sell that early again.

17. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Is how thicker and heavier they are really all that noticable? I honestly wouldn't stand it if the thickness is too much. They just came out here in Europe so I still need to go check them out.

18. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Agreed. As a first time iPad owner who was reluctant to get one, I have to say this is easily the best iOS device.

I didn't realize iOS' true potential until using it on the iPad actually. It's a far superior experience than iOS on the iPhone. In fact, it's made me realize how poorly represented iOS is on the iPhone.

On the larger screen, iOS is fully realized, and is more natural and intuitive. Everything is spaced out and the apps don't feel cramped like they do on the small iPhone screen. Mail is so much easier to navigate and use. Safari is infinitely better (I still can't believe it takes at least 3 steps to switch between tabs in Safari on the iPhone). Switching between apps is easier too thanks to gestures. And the keyboard feels way more responsive on the iPad, maybe thanks to the bigger keys, or the fact that the keyboard offers the option to split into two sides. There are many other examples.

I know it must be obvious, "Duh, iOS is better on a bigger screen." I guess what I'm saying is iOS on the iPhone needs a lot of tweaking. Whereas iOS on the iPad is all pleasure.

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Coming from an iPad 2, it didn't feel thicker, but it definitely feels denser. The surface of the display feels different too, but it could be the brand new (as in new device, not new formula) oleophobic coating.

20. tanboom macrumors member

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It is a little over a half millimeter thicker. Anyone who says they notice the difference in thickness is imagining things. I would believe someone a little more if they said they noticed the weight difference, but it's really not a big deal.

Buy confidently. It's a terrific tablet.

22. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

He he, it's true, if I watch too much HD stuff on my newbie, every other screen I have just doesn't cut it...:)

23. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Stellar Job Apple & Foxconn & Suppliers - stunning screen - no yellowing - zero backlight bleed (checked out in a dark closet with black screen background) - no excessive heat - solid WiFi connection. This is the way I wish all products were :D

Kudos again !!!!

24. wharzhee macrumors 6502

does anyone think it could have been way better if they had packed as many pixel as that of the iphone?

they say we wont put our ipad close to our face, but last night i wanted to read closer, and i noticed the fonts fuzzy.. am i asking for too much? lol.

25. richlee111 macrumors regular

If you want to keep liking your iPad 2, DON'T BUY AND USE THE NEW IPAD!
    I repeat, don't do it!

I still have my iPad 2, and yesterday I tried to use it all day to see if I can still justify the new iPad 3 after one week. Well....I sure as hell can! The biggest improvement is the screen. I read a lot for school and pleasure, and the iPad 2 screen is now very hard to read on for long periods of time.

Once you go retina, everything else is a blur:D