10.10.4 HIGHLY increase smoothness: NO MORE LAG !

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
I just installed the last 10.10.4 beta, and oh boy, it's day and night. No more lag. Even with transparency.
I was complaining that this computer was laggy and wanted to return it but this update is GREAT!

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I still have lag with transparencies.

Although, 10.10.3 & 10.10.4 have helped some with overall performance with transparencies disabled.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I'm not trying Beta, didn't pay 2K to be used as a beta tester for free.

However, how's the battery life?

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I just installed the last 10.10.4 beta, and oh boy, it's day and night. No more lag. Even with transparency.
I was complaining that this computer was laggy and wanted to return it but this update is GREAT!
I and others have installed the 10.10.4 public beta and have already reported not seeing a noticeable improvement with lag on their rMB. So its likely not the panacea that we hoped it would be for rMB owners.

Last edited:

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
I and others have installed the 10.10.4 public beta and have already reported not seeing a noticeable improvement with lag on their rMB. So it likely not the panacea that we hoped it would be for rMB owners.
Sorry for you guys... On my side I was on the verge to bring it back to get a refund but I wanted to try this beta before, to be sure... And it helped a lot: almost as smooth as my rMBP 13 that has a clone of my system on it (so fresh mac os with same apps installed running 10.10.3)

TillysWily

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
how are the dropped frames? That's about the only complaint I have with it is if im watching a video and swipe to a difference home page to do something it drops frames just about every time.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
How does one download this beta?

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Maybe I didn't have much lag in the first place... but after installing 10.10.4beta, it honestly seems about the same to me. Which is to say, pretty dang good, though not perfect. There are still some choppy UI things, especially the first time I go into Mission Control, or sometimes switching between full-screened apps. Nothing huge - it doesn't hinder workflow or the usability of any apps. It's literally a stutter that takes a fraction of a second. Noticeable, but whatever... And it seems pretty much the same as 10.10.3.

How about you guys noticing a difference? Was the "lag" severe before? Is it TOTALLY gone now, or just way better? What model rMB are you using? (I'm on a 1.2/512 SG model...)

holycat

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2006
Nope. The 10.10.4 did not help mine. The MB is still as buggy/lag as 10.10.3. My 2013 1.7 MBA is way faster than the 1.3 MB. I love the MB's screen and footprint but I hate its sluggish performance. So, I am returning this MB. Too bad.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Nope. The 10.10.4 did not help mine. The MB is still as buggy/lag as 10.3.3. My 2013 1.7 MBA is way faster than the 1.3 MB. I love the MB's screen and footprint but I hate its sluggish performance. So, I am returning this MB. Too bad.
When I turned off transparency I get very, very minimal lag from time to time. It's running super quick now.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Maybe I didn't have much lag in the first place... but after installing 10.10.4beta, it honestly seems about the same to me. Which is to say, pretty dang good, though not perfect. There are still some choppy UI things, especially the first time I go into Mission Control, or sometimes switching between full-screened apps. Nothing huge - it doesn't hinder workflow or the usability of any apps. It's literally a stutter that takes a fraction of a second. Noticeable, but whatever... And it seems pretty much the same as 10.10.3.

How about you guys noticing a difference? Was the "lag" severe before? Is it TOTALLY gone now, or just way better? What model rMB are you using? (I'm on a 1.2/512 SG model...)
Per my other thread, you can test how successful 10.10.4 is in removing lag by trying to scroll this Apple webpage, and see if the graphics are buttery smooth or not. I'm willing to bet they aren't smooth like they are on other recent Macs (but I hope I'm wrong), based on my own testing with the beta:
http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Per my other thread, you can test how successful 10.10.4 is in removing lag by trying to scroll this Apple webpage, and see if the graphics are buttery smooth or not. I'm willing to bet they aren't smooth like they are on other recent Macs (but I hope I'm wrong), based on my own testing with the beta:
Nope, not buttery. It's FINE, mind you... it scrolls, and I can access all the content just fine. But it's not like a raindrop sliding confidently down a pain of glass on a rainy day. Still - I don't care. It doesn't impair functionality. It's just cosmetic... and it's minimal.

holycat

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2006
Nope, not buttery. It's FINE, mind you... it scrolls, and I can access all the content just fine. But it's not like a raindrop sliding confidently down a pain of glass on a rainy day. Still - I don't care. It doesn't impair functionality. It's just cosmetic... and it's minimal.
Good that you can tolerate it. I wish I could.

IMHO, unless one seriously needs the retina screen, one should just get the 2015 or even 2014 version 11 inch MBA.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'd rather have a retina screen than be able to smoothly scroll one random webpage.
Its not just "one random page"... if it was, believe me, I'd be perfectly fine with this Mac. I've seen it crop up numerous times, and I just picked this page as an example that folks could test their rMB with.

TillysWily

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
not smooth by any means downloading the beta now we shall see how it compares

TillysWily

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
ok after downloading it is not "buttery smooth" as someone said b4. It is a LITTLE better but not a massive change by any means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.