10.14.1 no longer allows installs from USB flash, requires Internet

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by talmy, Oct 31, 2018.

1. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Sadly, the Installer for 10.14.1 is now a smaller bootstrap program that downloads the rest of Mojave from Apple's servers. This is unlike 10.14.0 and earlier which were full installers.

installers.jpg

Bad news if you want to do an offline install or have multiple systems to install on.

2. chabig, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

chabig macrumors 603

I have good news. You can download the full installer very easily. When your machine is already running Mojave, you can go back to Mojave in the App Store and click on the "Get" button to download the full 6GB installer.

3. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I was scared...I hope this post is accurate. I am sure it is. That would be a huge/unwelcomed change.

4. talmy thread starter macrumors 601

talmy

I'll have to check that out when my install finishes. But it still means having to download it twice when once would do.

5. chabig macrumors 603

Yes it does. I don't know a workaround for that.

6. pentool macrumors member

I just spent nearly 45 minutes on Apple's chat on this issue. They escalated it to the 2nd tier. Talked to a total of 3 people. None of them knew why the full package doesn't download and instead it's only 22.8MB - despite the App Store says it is 4.9GB. They told me I should call support as opposed to chat. That way at least I can not only READ but also HEAR that they have no clue why this is happening.

Apple support article clearly points out that this should be doable. Albeit, the date is back in September:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

PS: I still haven't called support yet. But I intend to.

7. chabig macrumors 603

It’s makes sense. People who are upgrading from 10.13 or earlier need a big installer. People who are upgrading from 10.14 need a small installer. The App Store is sending an app that indentifies the need and then gets the appropriate update.

People already on 10.14.1 who choose to re-download the installer get the whole package (6GB).

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

There was a lot of talk about this with High Sierra also only downloading the smaller, 'stub' file, and getting the full download seemed completely arbitrary. I wouldn't bother calling, but recommend assessing the patcher tool.

Nvm I just checked for you. Download this, open it, ignore the alert if your Mac is supported, click Tools>Download Mojave. There's your 10.4.1 installer.
    http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

9. getrealbro, Oct 31, 2018

getrealbro macrumors 6502

I don't think that's the whole story….

I’m trying to upgrade from 10.13.6 and the App Store only downloaded a 22MB Mojave installer stub :(

GetRealBro

10. chabig macrumors 603

That’s what I said makes sense. It downloaded a 22MB stub that then goes and get the full installer. I updated from 10.13 to 10.14 yesterday and it did the double download thing automatically.

11. getrealbro macrumors 6502

Yes But… When I clicked on the Mojave Update in the App Store it already knew that I was running 10.13.6. it didn’t need to download the 22MB stub and then download the rest. It already knew I needed the whole thing. So why didn’t it just download the full installer?

Besides there is a separate way to update Mojave once it is installed.

GetRealBro

12. chabig macrumors 603

Yeah. It’s weird. I was just trying to make some sense of it.

13. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

Glad I found this thread, I tried creating a bootable Mojave USB installer this afternoon and couldn't figure out for the life of me why I kept getting a 22mb file instead of the big installer. It's a bummer, I have two Macs I wanted to upgrade since the .1 update was released. And I wanted to download it once, install it twice, and have a backup copy in case I needed it. I occasionally like installing a clean copy, especially if I go to sell a machine.

14. chabig macrumors 603

That’s my situation. I have two Macs and I like to keep a full copy of the installer as a backup. So for me I had to download it twice.

15. pentool macrumors member

Talked to a senior tech support person. She could not find out the reason why this happens. She said she escalated it to engineering and they (engineering) had an acknowledgement that this issue exist on random occasions and they are "looking into" the issue. They have scheduled a phone call back with me for next Tuesday. If the issue is not fixed by then, they said they will start troubleshooting by looking at logs and other means.

It seems like the issue that the downloaded package is tiny is not intentional.

16. getrealbro, Oct 31, 2018

getrealbro macrumors 6502

One possible explanation is that Apple is actually changing stuff as we type:)

FWIW, at the same time that I was doing a clean install of Mojave 10.14.1 on an empty SD card using the 22MB min-installer stub (which downloaded the rest prior to the install), on my late 2014 Mini running High Sierra 10.13.6….

I was able to download the full 6.03 GB Mojave 10.14.1 installer directly from the App store on our late 2013 iMac running El Capitan 10.11.6.

GetRealBro

Edit: The App Store on the Mini running El Capitan 10.11.6, using the exact same technique that I used on the iMac, still insists on downloading just the 22MB mini-installer stub :(

17. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

18. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I have a feeling that this was a mistake, and that they posted the smaller installer app that is used by system recovery rather than a full sized installer in error.

It sounds like they're working on fixing it, but that the old stub file may still be sitting on some of their CDN servers so some of us are still getting it.

19. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

Yesterday , my launchpad saying 2.8 GB (unknown)(thought it was apple update) download then today saying 3.53 download for software update. Apple become so messy this day.

20. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Are you still on High Sierra?

21. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

^^^^Yep, I downloaded it for the FW update and the HOPE that I can use it soon. I'm still waiting for the web driver for my Pascal GPU.

Lou

22. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

23. pentool macrumors member

It's also possible that there's an issue with load balancing. Long time ago one of our servers exhibited issues. People who happened to hit that server saw a faulty page due to a problem or misconfiguration. Others who happen to hit the other servers saw the page(s) correctly. The first time it happened, it took IT a while to connect the dots, because naturally, they assumed the issue was at the user's end.

24. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli